Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MLB 2019: Every Year at Playoff Time, The Dodgers Find A Way to Choke.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: MLB 2019: Every Year at Playoff Time, The Dodgers Find A Way to Choke.

How much is the ball playing a part in fans getting hit with foul balls hard enough to require medical attention? Livelier balls get into the stands a blink of the eye quicker and arrive with more force. I know people sometimes spend too much time looking at their phones, but that has been going on for a decade now almost, and it just seems like people getting hit a lot has been over the last 2 or 3 years.

As much as I hate interleague play, the DH and 4 hour nine inning games, I'd like to see a less lively ball more than the elimination of any of those things. I miss the variety of styles of play in the game before juiced balls and bodies became a thing. Teams still hit home runs in the 1980s when the Cardinals were winning games hitting singles and stealing bases.

Comment

Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
      How much is the ball playing a part in fans getting hit with foul balls hard enough to require medical attention? Livelier balls get into the stands a blink of the eye quicker and arrive with more force. I know people sometimes spend too much time looking at their phones, but that has been going on for a decade now almost, and it just seems like people getting hit a lot has been over the last 2 or 3 years.
      This might be a cause-and-effects issue as well. By the eyeball test, there does seem to be an uptick of foul ball incidents in the last four years (when the MLB balls started to become problematic) but without someone digging into the stats, it's hard to confirm.
      “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post

As much as I hate interleague play, the DH and 4 hour nine inning games, I'd like to see a less lively ball more than the elimination of any of those things. I miss the variety of styles of play in the game before juiced balls and bodies became a thing. Teams still hit home runs in the 1980s when the Cardinals were winning games hitting singles and stealing bases.
        From what I've been reading, seeing, hearing...people rarely go to baseball games and focus on the actual game. It's more a background for a social gathering. I'm guilty of that, too. They are not watching every pitch, every movement by the fielder, etc. Now, if I were in the "danger zone" of a foul ball, I'd pay close attention, because I don't want a head injury. *shrug*
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Rumor

Thor to the Padres for players and prospects

Stroman to Mets for part of the above package.
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids
          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
            It. Is. 100%. The. Ball.
            And now we have more data to back that.

We've got a doozy for you today folks. Wait until you see this one on TV. Trevor Bauer gave up a 2-run go-ahead single. Terry Francona comes out of the dugout to remove him from the game. Bauer proceeds to turn around and heave the ball over the CF fence. From the mound. If you can read lips, from another angle you can clearly see Francona ask "what the **** is wrong with you?" as Bauer exits stage left.

That toss still went farther than anything the Tigers have hit in the last two months.
            Last edited by Hammer; 07-28-2019, 03:51 PM.
            FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Blue Jays agree to send Stroman to the Mets.
              Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
              "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
              Patreon for exclusive writing content
              Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

• Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
                Blue Jays agree to send Stroman to the Mets.
                Where’s Kep? I need someone to explain this move. It makes no sense.
                Russell Jaslow
                [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                  Where’s Kep? I need someone to explain this move. It makes no sense.
                  Stroman to the Mets for prospects?

Maybe we can fire this under LOLMets. The article says this is to help the Mets compete in 2020. Uh, sure...
                  Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                  "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                  Patreon for exclusive writing content
                  Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Angel Hernandez sucks. As usual.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1155577595234344961
                    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

• Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
                      Stroman to the Mets for prospects?

Maybe we can fire this under LOLMets. The article says this is to help the Mets compete in 2020. Uh, sure...
                      I read that Stroman is a ground ball pitcher and the Mets are the worst team converting ground balls into outs.

A perfect Mets match....
                      Russell Jaslow
                      [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                      U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
                        Angel Hernandez sucks. As usual.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1155577595234344961
                        JFC, that actually wasn't that bad. Sure, it was low and wasn't a strike, but the White Sox broadcasting crew (big surprise there) acts like it bounced 6 times before it got to the plate.

This registers at about a 4 on the Angel Meter.

Did anyone mention that it was a 9-1 game in the 8th inning? Like it or not, strike zone tends to get a bit bigger in games like that.

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
                          JFC, that actually wasn't that bad. Sure, it was a bit low, but the White Sox broadcasting crew (big surprise there) acts like it bounced 6 times before it got to the plate.

This registers at about a 4 on the Angel Meter.
                          What's sad is the call was FOR my team, but I'm thinking, "WTeff?"

Comment

They're already starting to call stuff at the bottom of the kneecap, and trending lower. With the bases loaded in a 9-1 game, you'd better swing the bat.

God, that was fun...

Comment

• Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                              I read that Stroman is a ground ball pitcher and the Mets are the worst team converting ground balls into outs.

A perfect Mets match....
                              Yeah...perfect Meta move.
                              Makes no sense so of course they do it.
                              "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
                              -Gallagher

R.I.P.
                              Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
                              Grandma ~ Jan 2004
                              Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
                              Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
                                They're already starting to call stuff at the bottom of the kneecap, and trending lower. With the bases loaded in a 9-1 game, you'd better swing the bat.
                                I'm of the thought of knees to letters, and I'll stand by my opinion that was a horrible call. No matter the ump.

Comment

Working...
                                X