Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Minnesota Gophers 2019 Offseason -- a respite from the red menace

Originally posted by vicb View Post
    IMHO, Cornell, and Colgate and Princeton will be the top 3 in the ECAC with Clarkson in 4th. Sorry to hijack the Minn thread.
    You don't have to apologize for talking about hockey, even in the offseason. I'm not buying that a Colgate team that graduates four of its top five scorers will suddenly vault over Clarkson. IMO, the ECAC top three will be the Big Red, Tigers, and Golden Knights in some order.
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

HUGE loss for the Badgers, with Mark Johnson deciding to retire. Any clues as to who might replace him?
      Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
        HUGE loss for the Badgers, with Mark Johnson deciding to retire. Any clues as to who might replace him?
        Last edited by agfire; 04-01-2019, 09:31 AM.

Comment

I'm looking at the Wisconsin State Journal web site, and I see nothing of the sort. And nothing on Todd Milewski's twitter.

Comment

What is the date today anyway?

Comment

Originally posted by KTDC View Post
              What is the date today anyway?
              I knew I wouldn't get it past KTDC!

Comment

I knew I wouldn't get it past KTDC!
                You were a gentleman about it putting it in the Gopher thread

Comment

Originally posted by KTDC View Post
                  You were a gentleman about it putting it in the Gopher thread
                  Just thought it'd be easier to "fool" a few Badger fans here, and more fun to "lure" a few Badger fans over. And with hockey season done I've been thinking about the "phishing" opener...

Comment

Originally posted by oggie View Post
                    Really 1 incoming impact recruit. Wethington. This thread predicted Sheran as a maybe fourth liner. Pahl will be be a target in practice like May was. Scobee and Gulstene for 2 more years in the gopher net. Wondering what will happen with D'angleo. Two years without suiting up.
                    Hey Oggie, stick to the Penn State thread and quit ripping on Gopher goalies because they didn't take your kid. You should be happy she's going somewhere instead of being jealous of other goalies. You're used to being jealous of other good goalies though, that's why you bounced around all over the place.

Comment

Too many BADger fans still in a thinner induced haze so your catch was minimal, D2D
                      At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Years ago someone on the men's side had the whole UW thread in an uproar over Mike Eaves leaving to coach the Devils. Ever since then, I am a bit wary of what I read on the internet.
                        Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                        "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                        Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Just a heads up she turned the gophers down.

Comment

Per Twitter former Gopher great, and current Whitecaps D Mira Jalosuo has been named as head coach of the Stillwater Ponies!

https://www.eliteprospects.com/staff/38822/mira-jalosuo

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                              Do you know what the Clarkson goaltending plan for the upcoming season is? Marie-Pier Coulombe, or maybe another transfer?

Looking at the top seven teams from this year, any of whom could have been very close to the top, the teams hardest hit by graduation look to be BC, Clarkson and Wisconsin. BC's blue line goes from being a strength (or at least we presumed it would be), to quite raw. The Golden Knights lose an All-American goalie and six of their top 10 scorers (one being the reigning Kaz winner), including two D who played a lot. Wisconsin graduates two D, including their best one, and five of its top 10 scorers; the four graduating forwards totaled 539 points in their careers.

The Gophers' seven graduating skaters totaled 436 points in their careers, with 403 of that production coming from the four who played sizable roles as seniors. I'd say they are the fourth-hardest hit of these seven teams.

Cornell graduates its goalie, but does return some experience in net and its blue line returns intact. Up front, they lose three seniors who were more role players and combined for 151 points in their careers. If Browning can handle the starters role, the Big Red should be just fine.

Northeastern loses Anderson and Sullivan, who combined for 199 points in their careers. Anderson was playing on the top line, but the Huskies should have the depth to weather that. On D, they lose the Hartman whose first name is spelled Maddie, and both backup goalies. Overall, the impact should be fairly minimal.

Princeton's biggest losses are Lund (131 pts) up front and Sucharda on D. The Tigers also graduate a couple of role-playing forwards. They have some impact juniors to fill any leadership hole, so they should be fine as well.

Overall, it looks like the field tightens up a bit, with Cornell having a more realistic hope of winning it all this year.

As for Minnesota, I think the fans feel better about the D (returning a lot more experience) and goaltending than they did coming into the season. The forwards aren't as deep, but to a slight extent, they never quite achieved their full potential as a group. Williamson slumped late, and Pannek was inconsistent throughout. She had a few great weekends, but more where she seemed out of synch.

I don't see one team where I think it is their title to lose, but I think these teams will be in the mix again. BC and Clarkson look to be the two whose chances take the biggest hit. Yes, they have top-ranked classes coming in, but I've also heard that this isn't as strong a class overall as the last couple were. We can add Colgate, Providence, BU, Ohio State, and UMD to the mix, and the winner is just about certain to come from those dozen teams.
                              Your point about the Gophers is valid and that has the potential to make the team's losses less pronounced. For example, Pannek's year as a senior was by far her least productive as a scorer...with this year's points at exactly half of what she put up during her junior year. No, scoring is not everything but it more often than not representative of a players full offensive game. So the losses are not great - my question is whether this is a recruiting class like last year (great) or like a couple years back (a step down)?
                              Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                                So the losses are not great - my question is whether this is a recruiting class like last year (great) or like a couple years back (a step down)?
                                Adding Wethington will be like adding a freshman version of Ramsey or Stecklein. I think that is where the impact from this class will come, unless there is some addition beyond those signed. If Shearen beats someone out and cracks the top nine, I wouldn't expect her to make a huge difference over what that displaced forward would have contributed. Obviously, it is great if she can add depth to the team. In goal, I'd expect the veterans will get most of the minutes.

The team will have to improve by all of those freshmen and sophomores from this year making continued strides.
                                "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                                And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Working...
                                X