Minnesota Gophers 2019 Offseason -- a respite from the red menace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Minnesota Gophers 2019 Offseason -- a respite from the red menace

The Gophs have not won the big one in 3 years!!! Frosty on the hot seat?

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
      Wasn't Robinson a D before suffering an injury?
      Has she been injured for 3 years? On the Frosty Freeze Out Program?

Comment

Originally posted by Tool Shed View Post
        Has she been injured for 3 years? On the Frosty Freeze Out Program?
        Cute.

She played regular shifts for two years and then got beat out by 6 other defensemen.

Comment

Originally posted by oggie View Post
          Frosty on the hot seat?
          My wife drives an Audi with heated seats. I just have an old Honda with plain-old, unheated seats. When we had that really cold stretch at the end of January/February, it was like sitting on a rock. So if coach Frost has some heat in his seat, then I wouldn't begrudge him that.

Anyway, let's look at Minnesota's performance outside of just championship wins. The WCHA has been in existence for 20 years. The Gophers have made the national tournament 90% of the time, including 14 of 15 after the field expanded to eight teams. They've played in the national championship game in half of those 20 years, winning 70% of them. UM has made the semifinals 15 times.

In the WCHA tournament, they've reached the semifinals in all 20 years, and have advanced to the final in 16 of those tourneys. They've won at least a share of the regular-season title 10 times.

I guess that we could look at it as Frost has been the coach for 12 years and only won the title in a third of them. So, there's that.
          "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
          And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by KTDC View Post
            She played regular shifts for two years ...
            She did battle injuries for much of her sophomore season.

Comment

The Gophs have not won the big one in 3 years!!! Frosty on the hot seat?
              On a different day, Shaver's and Pankowski's shots are two inches outside the post instead of inside, a couple Gopher chances get through, and we are having a VERY different conversation this morning.

Don't be ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by robertearle View Post
                On a different day, Shaver's and Pankowski's shots are two inches outside the post instead of inside, a couple Gopher chances get through, and we are having a VERY different conversation this morning.

Don't be ridiculous.
                There were years where we almost beat you: NCAA Qtr in 2008; WCHA Final in 2011, WCHA Final in 2016. We didn't play badly this time, but Wisconsin was just better throughout.

Even if Minnesota had somehow stolen this one and Johnson's winless streak for NCAAs had grown to eight, I don't think he would have noticed any detectable warming in his seat. Not saying Frost is as legendary as Johnson.

Comment

Originally posted by robertearle View Post

Don't be ridiculous.
                  Shaver's shot was a seeing eye sneak thru shot, the goalie is 100% helpless on that one since it was so tight to the goal when shot. Pankowski's in my opinion was questionable goalie play. She goes in that crouch and leaves the top open. I think if she just stays up, glued to the post with the stick on the ice there is no where for that puck to get in. It must be how they are trained to deal with that move from that angle since the St. Cloud goalie made same play in the 1/4er's and Clark sniped that one too from a zero angle over her shoulder.
                  Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                  ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                  Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                  "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                  Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                    There were years where we almost beat you: NCAA Qtr in 2008; WCHA Final in 2011, WCHA Final in 2016.
                    ...and the 2012 final felt like a 50-50 proposition to me, like this year; and Wisconsin had a 3-2 lead going into the 3rd period in the 2014 NCAA semi; and the 2016 NCAA semi was an overtime, and ...

That's what makes it the rivalry it is.

Comment

My wife drives an Audi with heated seats. I just have an old Honda with plain-old, unheated seats. When we had that really cold stretch at the end of January/February, it was like sitting on a rock. So if coach Frost has some heat in his seat, then I wouldn't begrudge him that.

Anyway, let's look at Minnesota's performance outside of just championship wins. The WCHA has been in existence for 20 years. The Gophers have made the national tournament 90% of the time, including 14 of 15 after the field expanded to eight teams. They've played in the national championship game in half of those 20 years, winning 70% of them. UM has made the semifinals 15 times.

In the WCHA tournament, they've reached the semifinals in all 20 years, and have advanced to the final in 16 of those tourneys. They've won at least a share of the regular-season title 10 times.

I guess that we could look at it as Frost has been the coach for 12 years and only won the title in a third of them. So, there's that.
                      Frost is beyond reproach unless he can't do anything with the current group of strong recruits.
                      Go Gophers!

Comment

She did battle injuries for much of her sophomore season.
                        Re: Robinson I was told by one of the parents that she also had injury issues this season.
                        Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

I would think anything less than a national title every other year with his advantage in recruiting would be underachieving. Weren't the Olympics last years excuse?What was this years? What about the players he has now?

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                            Pankowski's in my opinion was questionable goalie play.
                            I agree that she'd like to have that one back. However, the real problem on that play was Pannek's effort, or lack thereof. Brown was the only skater trying to take away the shot, and she had to come from across the slot. Pankowski needed to be covered by the other #19 and wasn't. The Badgers contested everything all game long. I don't like the phrase, because I think it is very rarely true, but the appearance was that Pankowski "wanted it more" than Pannek did.

Comment

I would think anything less than a national title every other year with his advantage in recruiting would be underachieving. Weren't the Olympics last years excuse?What was this years? What about the players he has now?
                              One out of two, got it.

Now is this based on an actuarial analysis or is this just some half-baked theory of yours

Comment

I agree that she'd like to have that one back. However, the real problem on that play was Pannek's effort, or lack thereof. Brown was the only skater trying to take away the shot, and she had to come from across the slot. Pankowski needed to be covered by the other #19 and wasn't. The Badgers contested everything all game long. I don't like the phrase, because I think it is very rarely true, but the appearance was that Pankowski "wanted it more" than Pannek did.
                                I agree that lack of effort was an issue on that play and on Shaver's too because no one took time and space from Norby to make the pass and no one had their heads on a swivel to pick up Shaver cruising down the slot.
                                Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                                Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                                Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                                "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                                Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Working...
                                X