Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Minnesota Gophers 2019 Offseason -- a respite from the red menace

Originally posted by ARM View Post
    Adding Wethington will be like adding a freshman version of Ramsey or Stecklein. I think that is where the impact from this class will come, unless there is some addition beyond those signed. If Shearen beats someone out and cracks the top nine, I wouldn't expect her to make a huge difference over what that displaced forward would have contributed. Obviously, it is great if she can add depth to the team. In goal, I'd expect the veterans will get most of the minutes.

The team will have to improve by all of those freshmen and sophomores from this year making continued strides.
    Agree on Wethington who will be their best D recruit since Stecklein. Shearen is interesting in that when she was younger, she was a player that really stood out but has plateaued a bit as she has gotten older. Still possesses good speed and skill and has lots of U18 experience, so that could possibly slot her as a 3rd line candidate. Mikayla Paul, has the ability to challenge for the starting goaltender position, if healthy, so it should be an interesting competition next year between Gulstene, Scobee, and Pahl.

I think most GWH fans would agree that there is untapped potential in the two classes heading into next year.
    At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Originally posted by KTDC View Post
      Top 10 Freshman Classes by scoring 2018-19
      1-in addition, the Gophers Freshman class had 2 defensemen in Hengler and Ostertag who should be key players
      2-Wisconsin, at #5, only had 3 freshmen
      ....................G....A......P
      Minnesota.....44...82...126
      Princeton......51...69...120
      UMD.............43...72...115
      Northeastern.38...61....99
      Wisconsin......44...42....86
      Colgate.........34...51....85
      Yale..............30...51....81
      BU................29...39...68
      Harvard.........29...37...66
      Maine............22...42...64
      and if the freshman, as sophomores, put the puck in the net instead of striking pipe ...
      over the last part of the season they all did it at least once, and in important games too ...

Comment

Congrats to Gophers Associate Head Coach Joel Johnson on being named Head Coach of the USA Under-22 Women's Select Team. Their series vs. Canada will be held Aug. 15-18 in Lake Placid, New York.

https://gophersports.com/news/2019/4...u-22-team.aspx
        Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Some defensmen tips the Gophers could use...I like the cold meat slide, Puckpoon and helicopter... (Sadly, I think I've seen them do a couple of these )

Blue Line Troubles...

Comment

A couple of interesting exhibition games on the (tentative) 2019-20 Schedule: 9/21 vs. the Toronto Aeros and 11/5 vs. Hamline. Also, how many of last year's Whitecap players will be on the ice for the 9/22 exhibition?

Tentative 2019-20 Schedule:
            Sept. 21 – vs. Toronto Aeros (exhibition)
            Sept. 22 – vs. Minnesota Whitecaps (exhibition)
            Sept. 27-29 – vs. Colgate (non-conference)
            Oct. 4-6 – at Minnesota State (WCHA opener)
            Oct. 11-12 – at Robert Morris (non-conference)
            Oct. 18-20 – vs. St. Cloud State
            Oct. 25-27 – at Ohio State
            Nov. 1-3 – vs. Wisconsin
            Nov. 5 – vs. Hamline (exhibition)
            Nov. 8-10 – bye (4 Nations Cup)
            Nov. 15-17 – vs. Bemidji State
            Nov. 22-24 – at Minnesota Duluth
            Nov. 29-30 – Showcase at Nashville, TN
            Game 1 vs. Boston College
            Game 2 vs. Harvard
            Dec. 7 – U.S. Hockey Hall of Fame Game (at Dakotah Ice Center, Prior Lake)
            vs. Minnesota State (non-conference)

-- Winter Holiday Break --

Jan. 4-5 – vs. Yale (non-conference)
            Jan. 10-12 – at St. Cloud State
            Jan. 17-19 – vs. Ohio State
            Jan. 24-26 – at Wisconsin
            Jan. 31-Feb. 2 – vs. Minnesota Duluth
            Feb. 7-9 – at Bemidji State
            Feb. 14-16 – bye
            Feb. 21-23 – vs. Minnesota State

-- End of Regular Season --

Feb. 28-Mar. 1 – WCHA Quarterfinals
            (best 2 of 3 at higher seeds)

March 7 & 8 – WCHA Final Faceoff
            at Ridder Arena

Comment

Congrats and good luck Taylor!

https://***********/wayzatatrojans/s...128239105?s=21

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                I had the chance to see Dean Williamson-coached teams up close when my daughter played youth hockey against Edina. While it is certainly true that those teams were loaded with talent, they were also exceptionally well-coached and had a very positive, drama-free atmosphere. I have no doubt that they will be successful at Wayzata.

Comment

I guess Minnesota needed another goalie for next year as Olivia King (Brainerd/Little Falls) has signed on the dotted line with the Gophers. I wonder if any of the 4 goalies for next year can skate out and play forward?

Comment

Nice interview of King winning the 2019 goalie of the year award from YHH...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0JZF0GCgBc

Heard about this player from a parent of a girl in the Stillwater girls youth hockey program... And nice to see Sue Ring-Jarvi interviewed as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNo6Va8KSaw

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
                      I guess Minnesota needed another goalie for next year as Olivia King (Brainerd/Little Falls) has signed on the dotted line with the Gophers. I wonder if any of the 4 goalies for next year can skate out and play forward?
                      Play 2 G 1 D and 3. That might work out better for ya.
                      Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                      Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                      "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                      Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Just four players coming in this season, two of whom are goaltenders.

Gophers Sign King for 2019-20
                        https://gophersports.com/news/2019/6...r-2019-20.aspx

Comment

The lineup for the 14th annual "Hockey Day Minnesota" is now set, and the Gophers will host the Ohio State Buckeyes in an outdoor game on Saturday, January 18th at Parade Stadium near downtown Minneapolis.

https://www.foxsports.com/north/stor...nounced-062619

Here's hoping for ideal outdoor hockey conditions!

Comment

The lineup for the 14th annual "Hockey Day Minnesota" is now set, and the Gophers will host the Ohio State Buckeyes in an outdoor game on Saturday, January 18th at Parade Stadium near downtown Minneapolis.

https://www.foxsports.com/north/stor...nounced-062619

Here's hoping for ideal outdoor hockey conditions!
                            I remember the Hockey City Classic in 2014 at TCF Bank Stadium. We were so frozen after the women's game that we gave away our tickets for the men's game that was played later that day. I thought Parade Stadium was torn down years ago and so I looked it up and saw that it was demolished in 1990, but the baseball field is called Parade Stadium and is now home to Augsburg University baseball. There is also a three-sheet Parade Ice Garden in the Parade Park athletic complex as per Wikipedia. If this is where they were playing we wouldn't have to worry about the weather, but it's an outdoor game so we'll dress warm.

https://www.minneapolisparks.org/par...de_ice_garden/
                            Last edited by bluffrinkrat; 06-26-2019, 10:11 PM.
                            "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

Just four players coming in this season, two of whom are goaltenders.

Gophers Sign King for 2019-20
                              https://gophersports.com/news/2019/6...r-2019-20.aspx
                              If you play 2 goalies at a time and 3 D you might have a chance.
                              Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                              Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                              Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                              "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                              Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                                If you play 2 goalies at a time and 3 D you might have a chance.
                                That leaves one spot for a forward. Bring back Kessel...

Comment

Working...
                                X