2019 IIHF Women's Worlds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2019 IIHF Women's Worlds

I guess there was a penalty on Rigsby and the USA played the puck before Finland scored.
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

And we'll need a skills competition to decide the gold medal.

I thought the IIHF was going to use unlimited 3x3 OTs to decide the gold medal?
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

USA gets a tainted win. shootout 2-1
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
          I guess there was a penalty on Rigsby and the USA played the puck before Finland scored.
          I would never have guessed that that was even reviewable.

Comment

Originally posted by Still Eeyore View Post
            What a cluster $&&k.

Comment

And, checking the rulebook, this is not reviewable. From Page 71, Rule 99 vii:

vii. The following are the only situations subject to review by the
              video-goal judge (see Rule 45-iii for other uses):
              1. Puck crossing the plane of the goal line;
              2. Puck in the goal net prior to the goal frame being displaced;
              3. Puck entering the goal net at the expiration of a period;
              4. Puck directed into the goal net by any part of an attacking
              skater’s body;
              5. Puck deflected into the goal net off an on-ice official;
              6. Puck struck with a stick above the height of the crossbar by an
              attacking skater prior to entering the goal net;
              7. Puck entering the goal net after an attacking skater has interfered
              with the goaltender;
              It mentions Rule 45 iii, which says:

iii. On-ice officials can consult with the video-goal judge in cases where
              additional time may have elapsed from the scoreclock – notably after
              a false faceoff or because of slow reaction by the timekeeper to a
              whistle – and make the necessary adjustments.
              I read the section on delayed penalties, and it doesn't say anything about using video review to assess control.

https://www.iihf.com/IIHFMvc/media/D...018_Web_v2.pdf

So, the refs ****ed this one really badly.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                USA gets a tainted win. shootout 2-1
                It's not even a tainted win. By the rules, the game ended when the Finns scored. Everything after that was a meaningless exhibition.

Comment

That was just a bad ending for everyone. It would have been so much better for the sport if Finland had been declared the winner, instead of calling goalie interference or whatever it was that was called after that 15 minutes. It smacked of men's basketball at the 1972 Olympics.

Anyway, Finland should celebrate this like they won, because in the minds of most of us, they did.
                  "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                  And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by arm View Post
                    that was just a bad ending for everyone. It would have been so much better for the sport if finland had been declared the winner, instead of calling goalie interference or whatever it was that was called after that 15 minutes. It smacked of men's basketball at the 1972 olympics.

Anyway, finland should celebrate this like they won, because in the minds of most of us, they did.
                    Yes!
                    "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

• Re: 2019 IIHF Women's Worlds

It's not even a tainted win. By the rules, the game ended when the Finns scored. Everything after that was a meaningless exhibition.
                      Olympians have had medals reversed long after the fact. If what you are saying is correct maybe that door is open here.

Even so, it would be anti-climactic.

Regardless, what a wet blanket on what would have been an absolutely perfect story to grow the game of Womens Hockey (especially in Europe) the lack of which many of us here have complained about over the years...beating Canada in the semifinal, then beating the USA in the Championship Game, on home soil, in front of an almost packed house, in front of millions more(?) internationally on TV, in their first Gold Medal Game appearance...EVER! The papers, tv news, online, maybe billboards, people talking around the country, around the rest of Scandanavia, and around the rest of Europe...priceless promotion! You couldn't have written a better script to promote the game of Womens Hockey.

Circumstances robbed the Womens Game of that story book ending today.

Comment

Was watching the whole game, including Finland's OT game winner and then the goal reversal, and the DVR recording abruptly ended. I completely agree with ARM that it would have been better for the sport had they just declared Finland the winner, especially since that's what they apparently SHOULD have done per the rules as posted by Eeyore above. Not sorry I missed the skills contest which sadly was used to declare the "official winner" to go down in the history books.

All that aside, it was a terrific women's hockey game played in front of a great crowd.
                        Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Can you say NULL and VOID?

Comment

I have to hand it to the US team, they really controlled their celebration and showed a lot of respect for the Finnish team their fans.

Comment

Originally posted by Puckdrop14 View Post
                              I have to hand it to the US team, they really controlled their celebration and showed a lot of respect for the Finnish team their fans.
                              I quit watching after they disallowed the goal so I didn't see it. Your commending their behavior is probably appropriate.

But it would have been pretty bad for them to celebrate as if they really won.

Comment

Where is all this love for Finland coming from? It was clear goalie interference. She ran her down and allowed the net to be empty for the goal. All this "she was out of the crease" talk is wrong. Her trail leg was still in the crease when contact was made.

Now I am not a rules expert so I cannot speak as to if goalie interference is reviewable. It maybe it may not be. Though if it is not in the books it should be.

So please stop all the Finland got screwed crying they did not score a legit goal to win the game.

FACT
                                The Titanic only had one Captain..........
                                "You're holding your mouth wrong." Jim Cole
                                "Don't take any wooden nickels." Ray Rouse
                                9 Time World Champion Boston Red Sox ('03,'12,'15,'16,'18,2004, '07, '13, '18)

Comment

Working...
                                X