• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2019 IIHF Women's Worlds

Anyone have any news on Hannah?

Comment

Not looking ahead or anything, but it should be a great final!

GO USA!
      Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Fantasy (or nightmare) headline for some distant IIHF Worlds:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/09/s...equal-pay.html

(If you read on you’ll find the rub in these performance deals: the coach.)

Comment

Originally posted by thirdtime's . . . View Post
          Fantasy (or nightmare) headline for some distant IIHF Worlds:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/09/s...equal-pay.html

(If you read on you’ll find the rub in these performance deals: the coach.)
          The soccer gals made their bed and now have to sleep in it. We fans know it is coaches genes to tinker, adjust, abandon, adapt and generally mess with rosters, lineups, and schemes in any sport. That's what they're paid to do. Look at Frost's endless line combinations at MN this year! What if we paid NFL, MBL, NBA and NHL players on games won, that they had to have participated in to even get paid? There'd be a lot of locker room fights, maybe hit contracts taken out on coaches, "friendly fire" injuries to ones teammates in practices and games that are blocking your "advancement" and playing time. Wow, that would be interesting!!

Comment

Despite winning 4-0 it was a pretty mediocre showing by the Americans this morning as they seemed to lack the cohesiveness and crisp passing that we saw in their previous four games. Credit the Japanese who never gave up and did a great job defensively, limiting the number of prime opportunities from in close. It says something when Maddie Rooney was named the U.S. Player of the Game even though she was called upon to make only 10 saves.

Separately does anyone know the status of Hannah Brandt? If she's injured they are doing a good job of keeping it a secret, not even referring to an "upper/lower body injury". Maybe it's something else?
            Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Upset alert 3 min left and Finland leads Canada 3-2.

Upset happens:
              Canada 2
              Finland 4
              Last edited by joecct; 04-13-2019, 10:32 AM.
              CCT '77 & '78
              4 kids
              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                Upset alert 3 min left and Finland leads Canada 3-2.

Upset happens:
                Canada 2
                Finland 4
                Yes, the Thrilla in Manila.

Only saw the 3rd period but it was pressure packed. Judging by that period it was another tremendous game as their last game was just days ago.

Finland's 4th goal was an empty netter on a breakaway the full length of the ice with Spooner in pursuit trying to tie up the Finish skater all the way to the face off circles...it hit the post and went in.

Late in the 3rd the SOG were 66-18 for Canada but Finland had bagged 3 of them. On paper Szabados looks terrible...83% save percentage. (Did you watch the game? What type of goals?)

Never saw a reviewed goal take so long to review...must have been 10 -15 minutes. Extreme pressure on the ref. Tons of replays but it was next to impossible to see the puck.

Great imagery at the end when the Finish coach got down on the ice like he was going to do a push up or two but then kissed the ice.

A first for Finland in international tournaments and it happened on home ice! Looks good on them.

I heard from a Finish player years ago that girls/women playing hockey was frowned upon in Finland. That attitude probably just got jolted with a left hook and will continue to be for the next several days regardless of the outcome tomorrow.

And if they win tomorrow that attitude might be out for the count.

This is a tremendous Team Finland.

(Forgot: Saw Turnbull sitting in the stands with Poulin. Anyone know why Turnbull wasnt playing?)
                Last edited by Blackbeard; 04-13-2019, 11:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                  Despite winning 4-0 it was a pretty mediocre showing by the Americans this morning as they seemed to lack the cohesiveness and crisp passing that we saw in their previous four games. Credit the Japanese who never gave up and did a great job defensively, limiting the number of prime opportunities from in close. It says something when Maddie Rooney was named the U.S. Player of the Game even though she was called upon to make only 10 saves.

Separately does anyone know the status of Hannah Brandt? If she's injured they are doing a good job of keeping it a secret, not even referring to an "upper/lower body injury". Maybe it's something else?
                  Hannah is listed on the 4th line for today's game on the Team USA site. Maybe (!??!) the announcers will have a comment or explanation of her absence. I haven't been too impressed with them so far. They finally got Kelly "Pannocks" name pronunced correctly, most of the time, but still struggle with Cameranesi. I know Canadian English is different, my sister married a Canadian, but the announcers dont seem to have trouble with Finnish or Russian names, or maybe I just can't tell.
                  Last edited by drewkal; 04-13-2019, 11:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by drewkal View Post
                    Hannah is listed on the 4th line for today's game on the Team USA site. Maybe (!??!) the announcers will have a comment or explanation of her absence. I haven't been too impressed with them so far. They finally got Kelly "Pannocks" name pronunced correctly, most of the time, but still struggle with Cameranesi. I know Canadian English is different, my sister married a Canadian, but the announcers dont seem to have trouble with Finnish or Russian names, or maybe I just can't tell.
                    Who were you listening to? Rod Black and Cheryl Pounder haven't had any trouble with those names on the TSN coverage.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
                      Who were you listening to? Rod Black and Cheryl Pounder haven't had any trouble with those names on the TSN coverage.
                      Yes Black definitely called Pannek “Pawn-ick” for a little while. I always thought it was Pronounced like the word panic but maybe I’m wrong. There was another name he was messing up too, I just forget who it was. I do feel like he’s getting better.

Comment

They both have trouble with Cameranesi. It's almost like somebody pronounced it for them and and said it is simple, like you say "Camera" and then "knee-Z", and Black pronounces it like it is two separate words. Pounder doesn't even come that close, as she somehow manages to move the "n" into the "Camera" part some of the time. And Pan is often Pon for both of them.
                        "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                        And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by Lindsay View Post
                          I always thought it was Pronounced like the word panic but maybe I’m wrong.
                          You're right, but it is more "neck" than "nick" in the second syllable.
                          "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                          And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Only saw the 3rd period but it was pressure packed. Judging by that period it was another tremendous game as their last game was just days ago.

Finland's 4th goal was an empty netter on a breakaway the full length of the ice with Spooner in pursuit trying to tie up the Finish skater all the way to the face off circles...it hit the post and went in.

Late in the 3rd the SOG were 66-18 for Canada but Finland had bagged 3 of them. On paper Szabados looks terrible...83% save percentage. (Did you watch the game? What type of goals?)

Never saw a reviewed goal take so long to review...must have been 10 -15 minutes. Extreme pressure on the ref. Tons of replays but it was next to impossible to see the puck.

Great imagery at the end when the Finish coach got down on the ice like he was going to do a push up or two but then kissed the ice.

A first for Finland in international tournaments and it happened on home ice! Looks good on them.

I heard from a Finish player years ago that girls/women playing hockey was frowned upon in Finland. That attitude probably just got jolted with a left hook and will continue to be for the next several days regardless of the outcome tomorrow.

(Forgot: Saw Turnbull sitting in the stands with Poulin. Anyone know why Turnbull wasnt playing?)
                            Turnbull was checked head first into the boards in the 1st period on a hit that should have drawn a major penalty but wasn't called at all. Down for a minute or so until they took her to the locker room. I'm assuming possible concussion and that she won't play in the bronze medal game. The former Badger has been one of Canada's best players in the tournament and they certainly missed her on the ice.

Hilary Knight, Turnbull's teammate at Wisconsin, gives the US a lead in the 1st period.

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                              They both have trouble with Cameranesi. It's almost like somebody pronounced it for them and and said it is simple, like you say "Camera" and then "knee-Z", and Black pronounces it like it is two separate words. Pounder doesn't even come that close, as she somehow manages to move the "n" into the "Camera" part some of the time. And Pan is often Pon for both of them.
                              Surprising, I must have missed it early in the tournament. They are usually pretty sharp.

Is there no US coverage of this tournament?
                              Last edited by Blackbeard; 04-13-2019, 12:37 PM.

Comment

Shots were 45-19 and Szabados was not particularly sharp. The winning goal is one that she would want back.

Comment

Working...
                                X