Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2019 IIHF Women's Worlds

Originally posted by D2D View Post
    Having to suit up 16 and 17 year-old girls shows a total lack of depth in their system.
    If NYC was a separate entity for international play, it would have a total lack of depth as well, and that's roughly the population we're talking about. It hurts the Swiss to have somebody like Laura Stalder out, because they can't easily replace her. It's even more surprising to me that Sweden has fallen back as far as it has. Not that it is that much bigger than Switzerland, but it is a more traditional hockey hotbed.
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
      If NYC was a separate entity for international play, it would have a total lack of depth as well, and that's roughly the population we're talking about. It hurts the Swiss to have somebody like Laura Stalder out, because they can't easily replace her. It's even more surprising to me that Sweden has fallen back as far as it has. Not that it is that much bigger than Switzerland, but it is a more traditional hockey hotbed.
      Sweden basically stopped putting money into its girls' and women's hockey program. That only pushes the "Why?" back a step, but it's the mechanism that explains the collapse.

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
        No, I missed the visual, but after about a half a period the audio got to be very tiresome. I would hope they'd never allow them at either Ridder or LaBahn.
        More than tiresome. I attended a Team Switzerland exhibition/tuneup game here in 2010 just prior to the Vancouver Olympics. It was held in an arena with stands on one side and there were many Swiss supporters with those cowbells clanging endlessly. At first it was amusing but after a while it was more than tiresome. I had to leave in the 2nd period, as I recall, because I couldn't stand what that racket was doing to my head.

That stuff can cause auditory damage.

It's no joke.

It's actually stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
          More than tiresome. I attended a Team Switzerland exhibition/tuneup game here in 2010 just prior to the Vancouver Olympics. It was held in an arena with stands on one side and there were many Swiss supporters with those cowbells clanging endlessly. At first it was amusing but after a while it was more than tiresome. I had to leave in the 2nd period, as I recall, because I couldn't stand what that racket was doing to my head.

That stuff can cause auditory damage.

It's no joke.

It's actually stupid.
          Much like the Constant buzzing sound of the Vuvuzela’s at the 2010 World Cup in South Africa. It became unbearable.

Comment

Japan knocks off Sweden and sends Tre Kroner into relegation along with France.

Whoda thunk it!?!?
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids
            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

After one USA is up 3-0 on the Russians. No cowbells, but lots of whistling from the stands which is also pretty annoying.
              Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

The Americans add four more to go up 7-0 after two. Once again to no one's surprise the tournament will go down to the Canadians playing the Americans for the Gold Medal.

Comment

USA hits double figures and wins going away, 10-0.

Comment

L O S I N G B U I L D S C H A R A C T E R

(i have to stay sane somehow...)
                    https://***********/TheVTHockeyBlog
                    https://thevermonthockeyblog.wordpress.com/

Frozen Four: '96, '09
                    NCAA Tournament: '88, '96, '97, '09, '10, '14

/r/collegehockey moderator
                    Fan of the UVM Catamounts, Charlotte Hornets, Oakland A's, and Philadelphia Union

Comment

Originally posted by Still Eeyore View Post
                      Sweden basically stopped putting money into its girls' and women's hockey program. That only pushes the "Why?" back a step, but it's the mechanism that explains the collapse.
                      rather than depending on immigrants, maybe Sweden has decided encouraging women to have babies instead of playing hockey is better policy given the rate of births to citizens

Comment

[QUOTE=D2D;6793543]After one USA is up 3-0 on the Russians. No cowbells, but lots of whistling from the stands which is also pretty annoying.[/QUOT

If it was from Russian fans, whistling being the European form of booing, it could be a response/protest re: US politics in the last few years that has seen fit to demonize Russia. Said actions have turned sentiment anti-American there and understandably so. It may have nothing to do with the actual game.

Comment

Canada 2 - Finland 0 after one.

WOW! Unbelievably blazing fast game!

On a Canadian pp Finland was all over them as though they had 7 skaters on the ice causing Canada all sorts of problems with their breakout thereby dominating play and neutralizing the Canadian pp...and Canada wasn't dogging it either.

Comment

Canada 4 - Finland 0 after two.

Gable with a laser beam wrist shot that couldn't have been any tighter 3 hole.

Seemed like Raty was quite surprised at the speed and accuracy of the shot...after which she was pulled. Could be strategic in saving Raty for the semi finals since she appeared to be favouring a leg.

Then Jenner to Gable with an immediate great feed through two defenders back to Jenner...a quick move and a backhander in. Very fast.

Jenner wearing the "C" (assuming she wasn't a co-captain) with Poulin out with the injury.

Comment

Canada 6 - Finland 1 final.

Finland with a strong (although seemingly innocent) wrist shot from the point through traffic found its way past Szabados.

And Nurse wired a wrist shot tight 3 hole, just like Gabel's, (both from the opposite side) and almost as nice.
                              (Forgot to mention initially that the puck was on edge and rolling for Nurse's goal so the degree of difficulty was different than Gabel's so maybe it was as nice, on balance.

Spooner, regardless of her hat trick yesterday vs Russia, is playing substantially better than she has in the last few years.

Gabel is a great addition. Lots of Green and Gold on Team Canada.

A bit of a rhubarb behind the Canadian net with under 2 minutes left as a Finish player gave Szabados a face wash to which Saulnier took serious exception. Both found their way to the penalty box.

This is by far the best Team Finland that I have ever seen play (what a phenomenal forecheck) and still they end with this kind of result vs Canada and the US. Makes you think that they will never make that final step up because it would seem to require more offensive firepower but what would they lose in the meantime? Can it actually get better? This team skates like the wind.

And Japan defeats Sweden? Never say never, I guess.
                              Last edited by Blackbeard; 04-09-2019, 08:22 PM. Reason: Degree of difficulty re: Nurse's goal

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
                                Canada 6 - Finland 1 final.
                                Gabel is a great addition. Lots of Green and Gold on Team Canada.

Great to see the former Golden Knights Fast/Ambrose/Gabel/Rattray all contribute today. Gabel's wrist shot on her 2nd goal was a real snipe and her saucer pass to Jenner for Canada's 4th goal could only be described as Gigueresque . Only saw the highlites but the announcer's comment about Gabel after Jenners's goal was priceless.
                                Last edited by vicb; 04-10-2019, 04:34 AM.
                                Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
                                And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
                                WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
                                If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

Working...
                                X