2019 IIHF Women's Worlds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2019 IIHF Women's Worlds

The U.S. Women's National Team Training Camp gets underway tomorrow, March 26th in preparation for the Women's World Championship which begins Friday, April 4, in Espoo, Finland. The USA Roster includes nine players who played on D1 teams this past season:

Cayla Barnes - Boston College
    Megan Keller - Boston College
    Kelly Pannek - Minnesota
    Sydney Brodt - Minnesota Duluth
    Jesse Compher - Boston University
    Annie Pankowski - Wisconsin
    Emma Polusny - St. Cloud State
    Maddie Rooney - Minnesota Duluth
    Melissa Samoskevich - Quinnipiac

Full camp roster here: https://teamusa.usahockey.com/2019wwcroster
    (Which college players did they miss, and which veterans may have been purposely overlooked?)

Tournament information here: https://teamusa.usahockey.com/news_article/show/999801
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Re: 2019 IIHF Women's Worlds

so under the new agreement made with USA hockey.....college players don't get paid what the pro players get paid. is this intended to be a cost-cutting roster? Do they have to pay the seniors now that their college careers are done? Thought we wanted to see Katie Burt and Gigi Marvin +++++

Comment

Your friendly neighborhood Russia fan here. Russia squad is entirely domestic-based with the exception of Maine blueliner Daria Teryoshkina/Tereshkina.

(the former is the more phoentic spelling that the IIHF uses, the latter is how Maine spells it)
      https://***********/TheVTHockeyBlog
      https://thevermonthockeyblog.wordpress.com/

Frozen Four: '96, '09
      NCAA Tournament: '88, '96, '97, '09, '10, '14

/r/collegehockey moderator
      Fan of the UVM Catamounts, Charlotte Hornets, Oakland A's, and Philadelphia Union

Comment

Originally posted by TovarishchLisa View Post
        Your friendly neighborhood Russia fan here. Russia squad is entirely domestic-based with the exception of Maine blueliner Daria Teryoshkina/Tereshkina.

(the former is the more phoentic spelling that the IIHF uses, the latter is how Maine spells it)
        I find that my Western tongue is better suited to speaking names like "Daria" or "Lisa" than many Eastern European surnames. At least when it comes to spelling them, copy/paste is my friend. Thanks for the info!
        "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
        And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
          I find that my Western tongue is better suited to speaking names like "Daria" or "Lisa" than many Eastern European surnames. At least when it comes to spelling them, copy/paste is my friend. Thanks for the info!
          Funny thing... "Daria" in this case is pronounced Dasha.

Comment

Originally posted by DDad16 View Post
            Funny thing... "Daria" in this case is pronounced Dasha.
            Dasha boards - 2 minutes.
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids
            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Good to see all the U.S. games will be televised on the NHL Network. First game is against Finland this Thursday, April 4th at 12:30pm ET .
              Full schedule and roster here:

https://teamusa.usahockey.com/news_article/show/1008746

https://teamusa.usahockey.com/2019wwcroster
              Last edited by D2D; 04-01-2019, 10:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                Good to see all the U.S. games will be televised on the NHL Network.
                So is this true, or should we wait until April 2 to see what you post then?

Comment

So is this true, or should we wait until April 2 to see what you post then?
                  "All games at the 2019 IIHF Women's World Championship will be broadcast live in the U.S. on the NHL Network."

If GopherSports is saying it, it must be true!
                  https://gophersports.com/news/2019/4...mpionship.aspx

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                    "All games at the 2019 IIHF Women's World Championship will be broadcast live in the U.S. on the NHL Network."

If GopherSports is saying it, it must be true!
                    https://gophersports.com/news/2019/4...mpionship.aspx
                    Any game (Group A?) that TSN televises will be televised in the USA.

Thursday
                    930am Canada v Switzerland
                    1230pm USA v Finland
                    CCT '77 & '78
                    4 kids
                    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

New format:

Tournament format changes for 2019 – A number of changes have been made to the tournament format since the last Women's Worlds in 2017. The tournament now features 10 teams, still split with the top 5 teams (USA, Canada, Finland, Russia, and Switzerland) in Group A and the next five (Sweden, Japan, Germany, Czech Republic, and France) in Group B. All five Group A teams automatically advance to the playoff round, joined by the top three Group B finishers, and those eight teams will play a full quarterfinal round as the byes from previous years have been eliminated, but there will not be any additional placement games for quarterfinal losers. The fourth and fifth-place finishers in Group B after round-robin play will face each other again in a purely symbolic 9th-place game (on April 11) as both will be relegated to Division I Group A. (Note that the 2019 Division I Group A tournament to determine which two teams will be promoted to the top division for the 2020 World Championship begins April 7 in Budapest, Hungary.)

Comment

Looks like there might be free live video streaming available. I didn't spend hours poking around online, but the earlier games being played in the lower levels have video links if you really, really need a hockey fix. I hope it's the same once the top level teams start playing on Thursday.

Scroll down to the schedule and click to see the full schedule. Each game has its own page that hopefully will have a video link. Or I'm an idiot. That's always possible.

https://www.iihf.com/en/events/2019/ww
                        Last edited by Lurky McLurkface; 04-02-2019, 03:59 PM.

Comment

Fun fact - Lisa actually isn't my name, but rather comes from the Russian word лиса, which is specifically a female fox. Linguistics lesson today :P

On the topic of the Worlds, an interesting side note for Russia is that the domestic season actually isn't over. The best-of-three championship series will take place between Agidel Ufa and Dinamo St. Petersburg after the tournament. (The way Agidel made it was insane, erasing a three goal deficit in a decisive game three against SKIF Nizhny Novgorod and winning in OT on an Olga Sosina hat trick. Absolutely mental.)
                          https://***********/TheVTHockeyBlog
                          https://thevermonthockeyblog.wordpress.com/

Frozen Four: '96, '09
                          NCAA Tournament: '88, '96, '97, '09, '10, '14

/r/collegehockey moderator
                          Fan of the UVM Catamounts, Charlotte Hornets, Oakland A's, and Philadelphia Union

Comment

Originally posted by TovarishchLisa View Post
                            Fun fact - Lisa actually isn't my name, but rather comes from the Russian word лиса, which is specifically a female fox. Linguistics lesson today :P
                            I can confirm this is true. I plugged лиса into Google Translate and it came back as Fox - trust but verify!

Comment

Originally posted by Leather helmet View Post
                              I can confirm this is true. I plugged лиса into Google Translate and it came back as Fox - trust but verify!
                              I think that you only have to be that skeptical if the post is a) coming from D2D on April 1; b) made by TTT and doesn't involve ice cream or rankings systems; or c) is pretty much anything that I post, which I guess would include this.

Comment

Working...
                              X