Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Most Dominant D3 Hockey Team?

Originally posted by KrbFlint View Post
    It’s really unbelievable when you try to wrap your head around it. They followed it with three straight a few years later, right?
    Not only did the men win three in a row from 2004-2006, the Middlebury women won three in a row from 2004-2006 as well. Also in Charlie's words known as "The Dark Days of D-III hockey".
    The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
    "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
    GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
    GO LAKERS!!!
    GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
    "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
    Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
      Not only did the men win three in a row from 2004-2006, the Middlebury women won three in a row from 2004-2006 as well. Also in Charlie's words known as "The Dark Days of D-III hockey".
      That made me laugh out loud. I can see him saying that. When a man's hate of Middlebury is spoken of during his eulogy, you know that he must've held particular contempt for them during their dynasty years.
      Norwich '13

2017-2018 Last Person Standing Champion

Comment

I think the conversation is trying to pick specific years. I never had the privilege of seeing those dominant Middlebury teams so tough to comment. I distinctly remember Elmira went out to Middlebury in either 1999 or 2000 I believe and lost 2-1 in the regular season and then Middlebury never returned the trip which left Coach Ceglarski pretty salty. Would have loved to have seen the Panthers in person. My first experience with the boys with the Big Blue Ms on their sweaters was 2003 and the Kevin Cooper era.

I'd be curious to hear from Dan Lukes and the St. Norbert fans who they think was their best team of the powerhouse teams they've had for the last 20 years.
        If it is a single year, i’d vote for the 99-00 NU team. A loss to Midd right after their 5 year title run and one to RIT, who sat out most of their top
        Players the night before. Redemption against both later(ot win over Midd, and two game sweep of RIT). Not fastest team, but plenty fast enough. The one thing they had more of than others was just plain grit.
        Go 'Wick!

Comment

1988 Wisconsin-River Falls they were monsters
          The Titanic only had one Captain..........
          "You're holding your mouth wrong." Jim Cole
          "Don't take any wooden nickels." Ray Rouse
          9 Time World Champion Boston Red Sox ('03,'12,'15,'16,'18,2004, '07, '13, '18)

Comment

I'd be curious to hear from Dan Lukes and the St. Norbert fans who they think was their best team of the powerhouse teams they've had for the last 20 years.
            Hard pass. Trying to compare teams from different eras with how styles and systems have changed is a fools' errand only an ESPN talking head just trying to fill air time would attempt.

Comment

Originally posted by NU Pastime View Post
              That 2010 team was the first DIII team I ever saw, so I had no point of comparison. However, I vividly remember being a Rook, hating life and hating Norwich, and watching them blow people out. Most of those games from that season, home games anyways, were not even close.

With that said, this UWSP team was **** impressive. They definitely deserved to win the title last night. As a Norwich fan, what was particularly frustrating to watch was UWSP's forecheck. They seemed to win every board battle while the Cadets struggled to get the puck out of their own zone. Then, once established, the Pointers would cycle the puck while 5-on-5 as if they were on the powerplay.

In any sport, comparing teams across eras is difficult. As we see increased parity and depth in the sport, one could argue that it is even more impressive to go undefeated today since there are more good teams. On the flip side, one could also argue that there was more talent concentrated on the great teams of the past. But like Prez says, certainly seemed to be a lot of talent from top to bottom on the Pointers.
              Agreed (it's always difficult to compare teams across multiple decades) however. this current UWSP team has to be in the elite status. Statistically, going into the frozen four weekend, the Pointers have trailed a minuscule 2.6% of game time this year, 45:44 out of 1,750 minutes this season. They have also never trailed by more than one goal. Now add in the Hobart and Norwich games, and it's still 45:44 out of 1,874 minutes or 2.4% of game time. Now that is DOMINATION considering their last 3 games were against top 10 teams (St Norbert #4, Hobart #6, Norwich #3)
              Last edited by Bar Down; 03-25-2019, 11:05 AM.

Comment

I got to go with our 2008 National Championship team, anchored by Kyle Jones and Marc Belanger....that team lost their third game of the season and than ran off 29 straight without a loss and finished 27 - 1 - 4.
                And shutout both Norwich and Plattsburgh to win the first national title in a team sport for SNC.
                I also liked the 2004 - 05 SNC team even though they did not get to the FF, lost to St. Thomas in the Qtr Final round.
                Jones and Belanger were both freshman that season and Jones won the starting job in goal early in the season. That team racked up 147 goals with Dietsch, Hughes, Carbery and Tew all exceeding 30 points each.
                Solid D corp, led by Tew, Derton, Gow and Toneys.
                I often wondered if this could have been SNC's first National Championship team had they made it to the FF.
                SNC Men:
                Five Time National Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014. 2018....
                NCHA Champions: 1997, 1998, 1999, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2017. 2018, 2019...
                SNC Women:
                O'Brien Cup Champions: 2013.

Comment

Originally posted by sacole13 View Post
                  1988 Wisconsin-River Falls they were monsters
                  Obviously you can't, but if you could put the 1988 River Falls team on the ice against the 2019 Stevens Point team how do you think the game would come out? Have skills, coaching and equipment improved so much that it would be a rout by Steven's Point?
                  Middlebury Hockey....The Greatest DIII Show on Skates

Comment

Originally posted by neumyer View Post
                    Obviously you can't, but if you could put the 1988 River Falls team on the ice against the 2019 Stevens Point team how do you think the game would come out? Have skills, coaching and equipment improved so much that it would be a rout by Steven's Point?
                    River Falls were fast and physical, it would be one hell of a game........
                    The Titanic only had one Captain..........
                    "You're holding your mouth wrong." Jim Cole
                    "Don't take any wooden nickels." Ray Rouse
                    9 Time World Champion Boston Red Sox ('03,'12,'15,'16,'18,2004, '07, '13, '18)

Comment

Originally posted by sacole13 View Post
                      River Falls were fast and physical, it would be one hell of a game........
                      This game would be a huge blowout by the the current Pointer team. The difference in players from 1988 vs today is too great. Go watch some of the clips online of D3 college hockey around that time vs today. It would not be even close. The gap in goaltending alone is just massive as well. The game has changed too much in the past 30 years.

This doesn't mean that 88 Falls wasn't a dominate team in anyway. The better judge is how they did against their competition relative to how UWSP did against their competition. And speaking of this, UWSP trailed in only 5 games total this year.
                      I'm Kent...Detlefsen?

I was there for 27/92.

Comment

Originally posted by Bar Down View Post
                        Agreed (it's always difficult to compare teams across multiple decades) however. this current UWSP team has to be in the elite status. Statistically, going into the frozen four weekend, the Pointers have trailed a minuscule 2.6% of game time this year, 45:44 out of 1,750 minutes this season. They have also never trailed by more than one goal. Now add in the Hobart and Norwich games, and it's still 45:44 out of 1,874 minutes or 2.4% of game time. Now that is DOMINATION considering their last 3 games were against top 10 teams (St Norbert #4, Hobart #6, Norwich #3)
                        When they mentioned this stat on the broadcast, I was absolutely stunned.

Sure a great team is going to lead most of their games and never trail by that much. But the amount of time WSP had led and the most they ever trailed by is absurd.
                        Russell Jaslow
                        [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                        U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by SNC SID View Post
                          Hard pass. Trying to compare teams from different eras with how styles and systems have changed is a fools' errand only an ESPN talking head just trying to fill air time would attempt.
                          Well, the reality is settling in that we have 7 months until next season, so...
                          Norwich '13

2017-2018 Last Person Standing Champion

Comment

Hammer doesnt want any part of this conversation with the 08-09 Adrian team?

Comment

Originally posted by snc1 View Post
                              Hammer doesnt want any part of this conversation with the 08-09 Adrian team?
                              who???

Comment

Originally posted by jerrynu26 View Post
                                If it is a single year, i’d vote for the 99-00 NU team. A loss to Midd right after their 5 year title run and one to RIT, who sat out most of their top
                                Players the night before. Redemption against both later(ot win over Midd, and two game sweep of RIT). Not fastest team, but plenty fast enough. The one thing they had more of than others was just plain grit.
                                This!
                                2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                                2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                                2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                                2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Working...
                                X