Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by thirdtime's . . . View Post
    How so?
    The penalty boxes are right next to them, so they can switch out quicker after a penalty.

Also, because of the above layout, their bench is offset more than the visitor bench and thus can do the defensive line changes much easier and quicker for two periods.
    Russell Jaslow
    [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
    U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

• Re: 2019 Frozen Four

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
      The penalty boxes are right next to them, so they can switch out quicker after a penalty.

Also, because of the above layout, their bench is offset more than the visitor bench and thus can do the defensive line changes much easier and quicker for two periods.
      Gotcha. Thanks.

I'm used to Bright, Conte, Matthews, Walter Brown. Must be a Boston thing. Seize the advantage! (Side by side always strikes me as weird feng shui.) Gotta get out of town more.
      Last edited by thirdtime's . . .; 03-23-2019, 10:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
        Again, we’re talking about the NCAA. No. Way. In. Hell. Do they ever give up the center ice logo. Just ask Boston what happened when they didn’t do that much to the surprise of the NCAA.

Besides, this is done all the time. I’m watching the men’s D3 championship right now. They had only four days notice, and the ice is fine. Same with the D3 women last weekend.
        Good grief.

The NCAA "gave up" the center ice logo in Madison last weekend for the Wisconsin/Syracuse NCAA Quarterfinal. The usual Flying W was in place. I don't recall an NCAA center ice logo at any of the other quarterfinal sites either. But if they were there, no marketing was accomplished with me; I have absolutely no memory of them. You're telling me this is a sacred cow? It isn't. Flexibility is possible. The NCAA got 100% of the space on the boards at LaBahn. The rink looked perfectly fine as a playoff site.

Nevertheless: If the ice quality this weekend is truly an outlier, OK. No urgent need for an across-the-board change. And as I've already acknowledged, it could be that this weekend's complaints are exaggerated. I'm home, watching on television. If you've got better information than I do, I'm willing to learn. But I must say that if you're taking on the role of educating the board on this subject, you've got a fair amount of posting ahead of you. People complain about post-season ice quality all the time...

BTW, I attended the Boston FF you mentioned. Whoever made the decision to breach contractual terms and leave the Bruins' logo in place was wrong to do so. Quite honestly it was refreshing that someone challenged the NCAA on this. Again, though, they chose the wrong means.

Comment

Good luck to the Badgers and Gophers. May the best team win because of their performance on the ice and not because of the officials.
          I ain't got no dog in this fight so just want to see an exciting game.
          Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
          And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
          WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
          If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

Absolutely! Looking forward to what should be a great game.

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
              The NCAA "gave up" the center ice logo in Madison last weekend for the Wisconsin/Syracuse NCAA Quarterfinal. The usual Flying W was in place. I don't recall an NCAA center ice logo at any of the other quarterfinal sites either.
              I think that's the difference between a site that is hosting one game on one day and a site that is hosting a three-game championship. For the quarterfinals, they put up the NCAA signage on the boards that covers the ads that teams display during the season. However, there isn't anything akin to the official Frozen Four logo that is designed for that year and promotes both the NCAA and the FF host city.

I think that the key is to have sufficient time to add the new logos to the ice. As others have said, the ice doesn't seem to be an issue if it is done correctly and the arena is kept cool.
              "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
              And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                I think that the key is to have sufficient time to add the new logos to the ice. As others have said, the ice doesn't seem to be an issue if it is done correctly and the arena is kept cool.
                One theory I heard going around on Friday is that they weren't scraping deep enough when they resurfaced and were putting down too much water. (The latter seemed to definitely be true; the former I have no way to judge.) If the ice was too thick, that would be an explanation for why it seemed slushy. I don't know whether those things would be in response to having recently put down new logos.

Comment

Lots of blue seats.
                  CCT '77 & '78
                  4 kids
                  5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                  1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                  - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

FWIW, the team scoring first has won all five prior UW-UM games this year.

Comment

I'm sure Abby Roque only snowed Gulstene because she's too large and misunderstood.
                      Last edited by Still Eeyore; 03-24-2019, 02:01 PM.

Comment

I'm frustrated that Minnesota's fourth got zero shifts in that period. Oden was out a few times with the third line, but no sign of Boreen or Skaja. Why not go with what has worked all year?

Comment

Pretty good period for both teams. I gotta say Wisconsin looks darn good. It will take a really great effort for Minnesota to play catch up.
                          At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Originally posted by Still Eeyore View Post
                            Why not go with what has worked all year?
                            No idea. Must be higher-level thinking that escapes me. I think Gophs are going to be the team that wears down at this rate.

UM had a much better first period than two weeks ago, but have to finish, because they're not going to get many scoring chances as this goes along. There were three prime ones, and they all went begging. It doesn't appear like they are calling hooking, slashing, or interference, so there likely won't be many PP opportunities.
                            "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                            And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Badgers lead in zone time, but I thought the Gophers had just as many (if not more) GOOD chances. Easier said than done, but the Gophs just need to find a way to cash in on one of them.
                              Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Minnesota is having a hard time controlling the puck.

Comment

Working...
                                X