Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: 2019 Awards and All-Americans

  1. #1
    Hockey Knight in Boston
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    1,113

    2019 Awards and All-Americans

    Devin McDonald (Sr.), Geneseo goaltender, won the Sid Watson Award for Player of the Year. He's the first Geneseo player to win the award.

    Tyler Krueger, UW-Stevens Point coach, won the Ed Jeremiah Award for Coach of the Year

    Full list of All-Americans here: https://www.d3hockey.com/ncaa-tourna...icans-released
    #OneKnight

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Rochester, NY USA
    Posts
    5,644

    Re: 2019 Awards and All-Americans

    Quote Originally Posted by KnightsOfTheRound View Post
    Devin McDonald (Sr.), Geneseo goaltender, won the Sid Watson Award for Player of the Year. He's the first Geneseo player to win the award.
    That's a surprise to me. Keenan should have won that award, if anyone from Geneseo was going to win it.
    Russell Jaslow
    [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
    U.S. College Hockey Online

  3. #3
    Hockey Knight in Boston
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    1,113

    Re: 2019 Awards and All-Americans

    Quote Originally Posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
    That's a surprise to me. Keenan should have won that award, if anyone from Geneseo was going to win it.
    Looking at the recent winners, it seems like goaltenders have won it a disproportionate amount of the time (6 of the last 7 winners have been goalies). I think this year McDonald's shutout record and microscopic GAA probably were what voters latched on to, and I think you could make a strong argument for him based on that. Arguably, based on Geneseo's goal differential, I think you could also make the case McDonald wasn't their most valuable player and they would have been very good even without a superlative goalie -- I think the SUNYAC made exactly this argument when they made Keenan player of the year. Either way, I think it says a lot about Geneseo that they have two players you could make a legit case for PoTY.
    #OneKnight

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    VT
    Posts
    5,568
    And on the student side of student-athlete:
    https://www.norwichathletics.com/spo...1WA9XVxaHC7TQ8
    Winning 6 times in 10 years is a pretty good average

  5. #5
    Colorado Cadets Fan
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Lafayette, CO
    Posts
    9,727

    Re: 2019 Awards and All-Americans

    Quote Originally Posted by jerrynu26 View Post
    And on the student side of student-athlete:
    https://www.norwichathletics.com/spo...1WA9XVxaHC7TQ8
    Winning 6 times in 10 years is a pretty good average
    This kind of thing is one of the big reasons that I've boosted NU hockey for so long. Almost all of my interactions as a faculty member with NU Hockey Players were always positive. Glad to see the tradition continuing
    2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
    2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
    2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
    2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    out of NYC and up to Orange County
    Posts
    5,485

    Re: 2019 Awards and All-Americans

    Genny with 4 AA's...3 first team nice job on the recruitment trail....

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    79

    Re: 2019 Awards and All-Americans

    Goalies to the Sid Watson Award is like Quarterbacks to the NFL MVP . It's pretty much the goalie that has the best season is going to win. Larkin last year and Rodrigues from Oswego were the last non-goalies to win it from recent memory.

    Quote Originally Posted by KnightsOfTheRound View Post
    Looking at the recent winners, it seems like goaltenders have won it a disproportionate amount of the time (6 of the last 7 winners have been goalies). I think this year McDonald's shutout record and microscopic GAA probably were what voters latched on to, and I think you could make a strong argument for him based on that. Arguably, based on Geneseo's goal differential, I think you could also make the case McDonald wasn't their most valuable player and they would have been very good even without a superlative goalie -- I think the SUNYAC made exactly this argument when they made Keenan player of the year. Either way, I think it says a lot about Geneseo that they have two players you could make a legit case for PoTY.

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Nantucket, MA
    Posts
    3,157

    Re: 2019 Awards and All-Americans

    Quote Originally Posted by BKrosky View Post
    Goalies to the Sid Watson Award is like Quarterbacks to the NFL MVP . It's pretty much the goalie that has the best season is going to win. Larkin last year and Rodrigues from Oswego were the last non-goalies to win it from recent memory.
    Mr Overtime
    LakerEagleLover

    I support tuition payments past...

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    249

    Re: 2019 Awards and All-Americans

    Norwich in the title game with one All-American (third team) on the roster. Either the voters screwed up, or Cam Ellsworth should have been the hands down Coach of the Year. Maybe both? 😜

  10. #10
    Proud supporter of Osmirwich hockey
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Northfield, VT
    Posts
    16,404
    Quote Originally Posted by KrbFlint View Post
    Norwich in the title game with one All-American (third team) on the roster. Either the voters screwed up, or Cam Ellsworth should have been the hands down Coach of the Year. Maybe both? 😜
    Its not about having the best players Craig, its about having the right ones.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •