Thread: 2019 Awards and All-Americans

Hockey Knight in Boston

2019 Awards and All-Americans

Devin McDonald (Sr.), Geneseo goaltender, won the Sid Watson Award for Player of the Year. He's the first Geneseo player to win the award.

Tyler Krueger, UW-Stevens Point coach, won the Ed Jeremiah Award for Coach of the Year

Full list of All-Americans here: https://www.d3hockey.com/ncaa-tourna...icans-released
    #OneKnight

Re: 2019 Awards and All-Americans

Quote Originally Posted by KnightsOfTheRound View Post
    Devin McDonald (Sr.), Geneseo goaltender, won the Sid Watson Award for Player of the Year. He's the first Geneseo player to win the award.
    That's a surprise to me. Keenan should have won that award, if anyone from Geneseo was going to win it.
    Russell Jaslow
    [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
    U.S. College Hockey Online

Hockey Knight in Boston

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
    That's a surprise to me. Keenan should have won that award, if anyone from Geneseo was going to win it.
    Looking at the recent winners, it seems like goaltenders have won it a disproportionate amount of the time (6 of the last 7 winners have been goalies). I think this year McDonald's shutout record and microscopic GAA probably were what voters latched on to, and I think you could make a strong argument for him based on that. Arguably, based on Geneseo's goal differential, I think you could also make the case McDonald wasn't their most valuable player and they would have been very good even without a superlative goalie -- I think the SUNYAC made exactly this argument when they made Keenan player of the year. Either way, I think it says a lot about Geneseo that they have two players you could make a legit case for PoTY.
    #OneKnight

And on the student side of student-athlete:
    https://www.norwichathletics.com/spo...1WA9XVxaHC7TQ8
    Winning 6 times in 10 years is a pretty good average

Colorado Cadets Fan

Quote Originally Posted by jerrynu26 View Post
    And on the student side of student-athlete:
    https://www.norwichathletics.com/spo...1WA9XVxaHC7TQ8
    Winning 6 times in 10 years is a pretty good average
    This kind of thing is one of the big reasons that I've boosted NU hockey for so long. Almost all of my interactions as a faculty member with NU Hockey Players were always positive. Glad to see the tradition continuing
    2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
    2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
    2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
    2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Genny with 4 AA's...3 first team nice job on the recruitment trail....

Goalies to the Sid Watson Award is like Quarterbacks to the NFL MVP . It's pretty much the goalie that has the best season is going to win. Larkin last year and Rodrigues from Oswego were the last non-goalies to win it from recent memory.

Quote Originally Posted by KnightsOfTheRound View Post
    Looking at the recent winners, it seems like goaltenders have won it a disproportionate amount of the time (6 of the last 7 winners have been goalies). I think this year McDonald's shutout record and microscopic GAA probably were what voters latched on to, and I think you could make a strong argument for him based on that. Arguably, based on Geneseo's goal differential, I think you could also make the case McDonald wasn't their most valuable player and they would have been very good even without a superlative goalie -- I think the SUNYAC made exactly this argument when they made Keenan player of the year. Either way, I think it says a lot about Geneseo that they have two players you could make a legit case for PoTY.

Quote Originally Posted by BKrosky View Post
    Goalies to the Sid Watson Award is like Quarterbacks to the NFL MVP . It's pretty much the goalie that has the best season is going to win. Larkin last year and Rodrigues from Oswego were the last non-goalies to win it from recent memory.
    Mr Overtime
    LakerEagleLover

I support tuition payments past...

Norwich in the title game with one All-American (third team) on the roster. Either the voters screwed up, or Cam Ellsworth should have been the hands down Coach of the Year. Maybe both? 😜

Proud supporter of Osmirwich hockey
    Quote Originally Posted by KrbFlint View Post
    Norwich in the title game with one All-American (third team) on the roster. Either the voters screwed up, or Cam Ellsworth should have been the hands down Coach of the Year. Maybe both? 😜
    Its not about having the best players Craig, its about having the right ones.

Thread Information