Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Cord cutting - what service to buy after the cable co goes away

Apartheid Loving Conservadem!

Re: Cord cutting - what service to buy after the cable co goes away

Well AT&T/Time Warner are working on their streaming service right now...and as soon as they get that going Friends and The Office are gone. (along with lots of other shows)

Truth is Netflix is not a long term sustainable deal which is why they are burning money trying to make as much stuff as they can. As other conglomerates start streaming their own stuff people will stop going to Netflix because it will be found elsewhere. Truthfully, of the streaming services I pay for it is the one I use the least.
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Never Forget!

Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    Well AT&T/Time Warner are working on their streaming service right now...and as soon as they get that going Friends and The Office are gone. (along with lots of other shows)

Truth is Netflix is not a long term sustainable deal which is why they are burning money trying to make as much stuff as they can. As other conglomerates start streaming their own stuff people will stop going to Netflix because it will be found elsewhere. Truthfully, of the streaming services I pay for it is the one I use the least.
    A major problem for Netflix is online streaming is its only revenue stream. All the other players coming into the market have multiple revenue streams. Apple, Disney, AT&T etc are huge conglomerates with money coming from several places. They also have as much, or more, cash to burn. Amazon is spending $1 billion on the first season of the Tolkien LOTR-prequel. Hard to see how Netflix survives the coming streaming wars, especially when Disney can easily afford to go with its $6.99/60 plan for a few years while Netflix slowly dies.

Waiting for the Snow to fly...
    South Chicago Burbs... For now anyways...

Quote Originally Posted by ticapnews View Post
    A major problem for Netflix is online streaming is its only revenue stream. All the other players coming into the market have multiple revenue streams. Apple, Disney, AT&T etc are huge conglomerates with money coming from several places. They also have as much, or more, cash to burn. Amazon is spending $1 billion on the first season of the Tolkien LOTR-prequel. Hard to see how Netflix survives the coming streaming wars, especially when Disney can easily afford to go with its $6.99/60 plan for a few years while Netflix slowly dies.
    I think the idea was around with the bigger companies for a while now, but NETFLIX was the "proof of concept" model the other companies were looking at over the last 5-10 years... Now that they see it's viable, in come the big boys.
    It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Quote Originally Posted by RaceBoarder View Post
    I think the idea was around with the bigger companies for a while now, but NETFLIX was the "proof of concept" model the other companies were looking at over the last 5-10 years... Now that they see it's viable, in come the big boys.
    Unfortunately, the fracturing from those wanting the whole pie and not just a slice of the pie is causing people to give up on streaming.

Unobtanium Medallion FadeToBlack&Gold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by aparch View Post
    Unfortunately, the fracturing from those wanting the whole pie and not just a slice of the pie is causing people to give up on streaming.
    When you have to have all of the services, with the annual or monthly fees for each, it defeats the point of cutting the cord in the first place. As always, The Man finds a way to get us back to square one.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

Never Forget!

Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    When you have to have all of the services, with the annual or monthly fees for each, it defeats the point of cutting the cord in the first place. As always, The Man finds a way to get us back to square one.
    I can't imagine having time to watch all that content. When all this shakes out I'll only have Amazon Prime, Disney+ and YouTubeTV. That's more than enough for me. That'll be a fraction of what it would cost to go back to cable or satellite.

Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    It’s why I’m still with Comcast until I can get a viable internet competitor

Never Forget!

Quote Originally Posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
    It’s why I’m still with Comcast until I can get a viable internet competitor
    Good luck.

Good luck.
    There’s one two blocks away in Minneapolis. I just need them to leave the city borders

Apartheid Loving Conservadem!

I can't imagine having time to watch all that content. When all this shakes out I'll only have Amazon Prime, Disney+ and YouTubeTV. That's more than enough for me. That'll be a fraction of what it would cost to go back to cable or satellite.
    I have HuluPlus, Prime and Netflix. Have some smaller ones too that cost next to nothing but have zero commercials. (while Hulu has commercials on them even if you pay to not have them which annoys me) My buddy uses my Netflix so he is going to give the gf Disney+ access since she wants it. I pay way less than I would if I bundled with comcast.
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Registered Loser

I'm due for a major shakeup as well. $40 per month for YouTube TV was borderline worth it, and moving to $55 makes the decision to cancel easy. As soon as the Bruins season ends, I'm cutting it. Spotify Premium comes with the basic version of Hulu, so my "turn on Family Guy and let it run for an hour or two" needs are met there.

Netflix is next. I hardly ever watch it lately, though with my mom's deteriorating health the last few months (and eventual passing) I've hardly watched anything. This will require a little thought, but likely cut as well. So there's $13 more saved per month.

HBO Now was purchased solely for Game of Thrones, but I will likely give it a couple extra months because I've enjoyed the new Chernobyl series so far and I'll see what else it has to offer.

We do Amazon Prime as well and there's value in that beyond just streaming, so I'll keep it for now.

So that's likely $68 chopped off my bill per month once the hockey season ends. Not too bad. I will add the Disney service when it launches, so that will claw some of that back.
    I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

"Let's Roll" - Todd Beamer, 9/11/01

Arrow Re: Cord cutting - what service to buy after the cable co goes away

The time finally came. We made the trip to our local Spectrum office to turn-in our (their) equipment and cancel service, and holy hell... Spectrum seems to be just “mailing it in” these days. No indication or effort what-so-ever to keep us as Customers. Took the kit, provided a receipt, and that was it... Buh-Bye.

Of course, this display of absolute apathy made me suspicious, so on our way to the car I was compelled to turn-around and go back in. I had a receipt for the kit that was turned-in, but no statement or proof that our service was cancelled and our account was no longer active. I asked for some proof of this in the event that we receive a bill in the mail... which we would ultimately have to challenge. Napoleon Dynamite sitting behind the counter had nothing to offer, so we called Customer Service during the ride home to confirm.

After the typical fifteen minutes on-hold, we explained our situation and requested confirmation that our account is ‘done’. Transferred to another rep, as rep #1 couldn’t help. Explained our situation (again) and requested confirmation that our account is ‘done’ (again). Rep #2 said nope, our account is still active.

Sparing all the details, a bill would be generated at the start of the next billing cycle (today), and once it was realized that our equipment had been turned-in, the billing “issue” would need to be addressed. The problem is, I have my own cable modem (no equipment to be turned-in there!), so we would likely be billed for internet service up to the point of the epiphany that we turned-in our kit (cable box and phone modem), and we would be stuck with this bill.

Rep #2 proceeded to cancel our service and ‘close’ our account effective yesterday, but she required verbal confirmation over the phone. Of course, prior to providing this verbal confirmation, I had to take the opportunity to bring-up the recent anti-trust settlement for Spectrum’s NY customers, and tell them just how unethical this practice we were discussing/experiencing is. We personally visited the local office, turned-in our kit, requested service to be cancelled, and then had to call Customer Service to make sure we do not get a bill... which we would have gotten had we not called after “cancelling” at the office!

While “firing” Spectrum yesterday was so liberating, we will likely (unfortunately) have to go-back to Spectrum after a month “off the grid”, at which point we will then get their new customer pricing discounts. We desperately need a quality alternative but this area is so backwoods, I do not see it coming anytime soon. Hopefully a competitive product arrives before our “new customer” pricing expires.

Cheers,
    ~TTF
    Dave
    RIT - '90

Never Forget!

Quote Originally Posted by Transplanted Tiger Fan View Post
    The time finally came. We made the trip to our local Spectrum office to turn-in our (their) equipment and cancel service, and holy hell... Spectrum seems to be just “mailing it in” these days. No indication or effort what-so-ever to keep us as Customers. Took the kit, provided a receipt, and that was it... Buh-Bye.

Of course, this display of absolute apathy made me suspicious, so on our way to the car I was compelled to turn-around and go back in. I had a receipt for the kit that was turned-in, but no statement or proof that our service was cancelled and our account was no longer active. I asked for some proof of this in the event that we receive a bill in the mail... which we would ultimately have to challenge. Napoleon Dynamite sitting behind the counter had nothing to offer, so we called Customer Service during the ride home to confirm.

After the typical fifteen minutes on-hold, we explained our situation and requested confirmation that our account is ‘done’. Transferred to another rep, as rep #1 couldn’t help. Explained our situation (again) and requested confirmation that our account is ‘done’ (again). Rep #2 said nope, our account is still active.

Sparing all the details, a bill would be generated at the start of the next billing cycle (today), and once it was realized that our equipment had been turned-in, the billing “issue” would need to be addressed. The problem is, I have my own cable modem (no equipment to be turned-in there!), so we would likely be billed for internet service up to the point of the epiphany that we turned-in our kit (cable box and phone modem), and we would be stuck with this bill.

Rep #2 proceeded to cancel our service and ‘close’ our account effective yesterday, but she required verbal confirmation over the phone. Of course, prior to providing this verbal confirmation, I had to take the opportunity to bring-up the recent anti-trust settlement for Spectrum’s NY customers, and tell them just how unethical this practice we were discussing/experiencing is. We personally visited the local office, turned-in our kit, requested service to be cancelled, and then had to call Customer Service to make sure we do not get a bill... which we would have gotten had we not called after “cancelling” at the office!

While “firing” Spectrum yesterday was so liberating, we will likely (unfortunately) have to go-back to Spectrum after a month “off the grid”, at which point we will then get their new customer pricing discounts. We desperately need a quality alternative but this area is so backwoods, I do not see it coming anytime soon. Hopefully a competitive product arrives before our “new customer” pricing expires.

Cheers,
    ~TTF
    Aren't monopolies grand?

Unobtanium Medallion FadeToBlack&Gold's Avatar

Aren't monopolies grand?
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

I'm sure Spectrum has lobbied for rules that make the barrier of entry for competing against them so high in your area you will never have another option. A "free market" economy means the largest company is free to buy up or drive out of the business all competitors and the customer is "free" to use their products or not.

Ideally this will extend to breathable air, eventually. For the kingdom, and the power, and the glory of Murray Rothbard, PBUH.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019

Cord cutting has always been a false term. Most of us still rely on cable for internet. Just not the TV portion.

Hard to get totally away without internet competition where you live.

wubba lubba dub dub

Cheers,
    ~TTF
    Spectrum is the only internet provider with the speeds necessary for me to stream my TV content, so, like you, I'm stuck with them. That said, you've had a far worse experience than I ever have.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

When Elon Musk gets his broadband satellite constellation going, will this become a viable option for cable cutters??

wubba lubba dub dub

Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    When Elon Musk gets his broadband satellite constellation going, will this become a viable option for cable cutters??
    That depends upon the price he charges and the speed it can reliably maintain.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Lucia Apologist

It’s musk. It’ll probably promise gigabit and deliver 56k. Poorly.

Thread Information