Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cord cutting - what service to buy after the cable co goes away

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
    Hey, I'll take advantage of this price for as long as I can. Bob Iger sees this streaming service as his legacy (as if the acquisition of Fox, Star Wars, etc aren't enough) and has set this price to guarantee as many subscribers as possible. The next Disney CEO will crank up the price.

As for the competition, Netflix isn't going anywhere. It just bought a film theater in Los Angeles to guarantee the movies it produces will be Oscar-eligible. In another lifetime the idea of a single company owning the entire cycle from production to theater distribution to home distribution would have been deemed illegal, but we're living in a new Gilded Age that would make Rockefeller, Vanderbilt and Hearst envious.
    What gets me about Netflix is they don't (as far as I know) pump out DVDs for their programming/produced movies. I would love hard copies of some of their stuff, but it's not even an option. To me, that's lost money. Not everyone wants Netflix, you know.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by GrinCDXX View Post
      I don't know, seems about right given what they're bringing to the table relative to Netflix. They would have been laughed off the stage at $20.
      The library of old shows and movies (both Disney and Fox) alone will make it a value at $70. Add on the content Disney will produce for the service going forward and $20/month would have been high, but a considerable number of people would have paid it. The children's programming alone will make it a no-brainer for parents.

Comment

The library of old shows and movies (both Disney and Fox) alone will make it a value at $70.
        I think they said they would be doing away with the traditional "film vault" and the entire* catalog will be available.

* Pretty sure Song of the South won't be on the service, but it should.
        “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
          I think they said they would be doing away with the traditional "film vault" and the entire* catalog will be available.

Which I still think is pure BS. Way to ignore history and not use it as a teaching moment.
          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
            What gets me about Netflix is they don't (as far as I know) pump out DVDs for their programming/produced movies. I would love hard copies of some of their stuff, but it's not even an option. To me, that's lost money. Not everyone wants Netflix, you know.
            I haven't seen any Netflix movies that are worth anything beyond my time and subscription so far. Some of their series, sure. I've seen those for sale.
            "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Physical media is dead. I haven't bought a DVD in years. It's all streaming. Besides, Netflix wants you to rent over and over and over again, not buy. There are still about 2.7 million people (~ $300M/month) who subscribe to the mail service. Why bother selling them a DVD once? It wouldn't be cost effective (and some might argue counterproductive) for Netflix to make DVDs of the content it produces. You want it? Pay them to stream it or rent it by mail. Aren't willing to? Too bad, so sad.

(The exception is Stranger Things, which is plastered all over)

Plus, there's a great thing for all these content producers hidden inside the EULAs we all click without reading. You would own a DVD. It will always be yours. A digital copy (movie, video game) is licensed to you but it can be revoked at any time. If Sony ever decides to arbitrarily cancel my PSN account I am screwed.

Comment

Physical media is dead. I haven't bought a DVD in years. It's all streaming. Besides, Netflix wants you to rent over and over and over again, not buy. There are still about 2.7 million people (~ $300M/month) who subscribe to the mail service. Why bother selling them a DVD once? It wouldn't be cost effective (and some might argue counterproductive) for Netflix to make DVDs of the content it produces. You want it? Pay them to stream it or rent it by mail. Aren't willing to? Too bad, so sad.

Plus, there's a great thing for all these content producers hidden inside the EULAs we all click without reading. You would own a DVD. It will always be yours. A digital copy (movie, video game) is licensed to you but it can be revoked at any time. If Sony ever decides to arbitrarily cancel my PSN account I am screwed.
                I have Netflix streaming/disc plans. I really want their Hip Hop Evolution on DVD, also the movie Hush (there is a different movie by the same name, btw, I want the one about the deaf/mute woman). Sometimes you don't have internet, or in my case, when I visit my parents, I always bring a movie to watch as a family. I think Netflix could profit a little from satisfying that demand. It costs NOTHING to make a DVD. Just have it where you can only buy it from NetflixStore(dot)com, no membership needed, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post

The original version that Walt Disney only played at private parties?

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                    The original version that Walt Disney only played at private parties?
                    Haha!

It's not like it's Jerry Lewis' The Day the Clown Died...

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

• Originally posted by aparch View Post
                      Disney needs to shut up and take my money if that's what they're offering Disney+ for. I'm already a Hulu subscriber, and there is talk of bundling all the mouse streaming in one package (Disney+, ESPN+, Hulu). I'd be awfully tempted to get the three pack if the price is reasonable. For now, I'd likely stick with Hulu (with ads) for $5.99 and get Disney+ for $6.99.
                      Even at something like $25 a month a Disney+, Hulu, ESPN+ bundle would be a steal.

ESPN+ is already a steal with its soccer content alone and they’re still adding more.
                      U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                      Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                      I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                      But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                      Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                      Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Re: Cord cutting - what service to buy after the cable co goes away

Its only a steal if you watch it...I mean I watch 1 show on ESPN why the heck would I want to pay for it? (I only watch it on Hulu Plus if it went away I wouldnt even mind)

Streaming services are no different than cable, if you dont watch enough it isnt worth paying for. I have no interest in most of Disney's new content and I own most of the old content I care about so most likely I have no use for this service even at that low a price. Smart out of them though cause in a year when they raise the price no parent will cancel and risk upsetting their snowflake and the uber nerds will sell a kidney to be able to watch Star Wars for the 57th time.
                        "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                        -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                        -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                        -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                          Its only a steal if you watch it...I mean I watch 1 show on ESPN why the heck would I want to pay for it? (I only watch it on Hulu Plus if it went away I wouldnt even mind)

Streaming services are no different than cable, if you dont watch enough it isnt worth paying for. I have no interest in most of Disney's new content and I own most of the old content I care about so most likely I have no use for this service even at that low a price. Smart out of them though cause in a year when they raise the price no parent will cancel and risk upsetting their snowflake and the uber nerds will sell a kidney to be able to watch Star Wars for the 57th time.
                          The irony is the Star Wars films are licensed to Turner for about $250 million until ~2022 and it isn't giving them back to Disney for any price. The Mouse House tried and Turner executives roared with laughter and then said, "Oh wait, you were serious?" then proceeded to laugh so hard they fell out of their chairs.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                            Even at something like $25 a month a Disney+, Hulu, ESPN+ bundle would be a steal.

ESPN+ is already a steal with its soccer content alone and they’re still adding more.
                            I dont know if I would take advantage of all that ESPN+ would offer. I'm not a soccer fan; nor some of the other "Ocho" programming they stream. And I already have MLB and NHL thanks to MLB.tv and NHL.tv.

College Hockey is what would attract me to the service, but I wouldn't watch enough of the eastern teams to make the service worth it.

I am impressed with what ESPN+ has offered though, they certainly are trying to dig deep and get some niche programming back.

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

• Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                              The irony is the Star Wars films are licensed to Turner for about $250 million until ~2022 and it isn't giving them back to Disney for any price. The Mouse House tried and Turner executives roared with laughter and then said, "Oh wait, you were serious?" then proceeded to laugh so hard they fell out of their chairs.
                              As long as when the original trilogy come to Disney+ it has Han shooting first.

Wait, maybe I'm asking too much of Disney+ Programming. Han shooting first *and* Song of the South? Boy I'm going to be disappointed arent I?

The vault of cartoons I grew up with is what I really want. I wonder if the Afternoon Disney series will be available (original Duck Tales, TaleSpin, Chip and Dale Rescue Rangers and the best of them: Darkwing Duck). (Also hope this means *all* their episodes, even the ones that they yanked from replays.)

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

• Re: Cord cutting - what service to buy after the cable co goes away

(The exception is Stranger Things, which is plastered all over)

I agree with ticapnews here. The demand for physical media is ever shrinking, and the under-30 consumer has never really had it in their life anyway. "Normal" for millennials and beyond is streaming content on demand. The era of the round disc is over.

Hey, I'll take advantage of this price for as long as I can. Bob Iger sees this streaming service as his legacy (as if the acquisition of Fox, Star Wars, etc aren't enough) and has set this price to guarantee as many subscribers as possible. The next Disney CEO will crank up the price.
                                I will give this a good long look as well. As prices increase I'll reconsider the value, which is what most of us do now.
                                I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

Comment

Working...
                                X