Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Cord cutting - what service to buy after the cable co goes away

Apartheid Loving Conservadem!

Re: Cord cutting - what service to buy after the cable co goes away

Its only a steal if you watch it...I mean I watch 1 show on ESPN why the heck would I want to pay for it? (I only watch it on Hulu Plus if it went away I wouldnt even mind)

Streaming services are no different than cable, if you dont watch enough it isnt worth paying for. I have no interest in most of Disney's new content and I own most of the old content I care about so most likely I have no use for this service even at that low a price. Smart out of them though cause in a year when they raise the price no parent will cancel and risk upsetting their snowflake and the uber nerds will sell a kidney to be able to watch Star Wars for the 57th time.
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Never Forget!
    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    Its only a steal if you watch it...I mean I watch 1 show on ESPN why the heck would I want to pay for it? (I only watch it on Hulu Plus if it went away I wouldnt even mind)

Streaming services are no different than cable, if you dont watch enough it isnt worth paying for. I have no interest in most of Disney's new content and I own most of the old content I care about so most likely I have no use for this service even at that low a price. Smart out of them though cause in a year when they raise the price no parent will cancel and risk upsetting their snowflake and the uber nerds will sell a kidney to be able to watch Star Wars for the 57th time.
    The irony is the Star Wars films are licensed to Turner for about $250 million until ~2022 and it isn't giving them back to Disney for any price. The Mouse House tried and Turner executives roared with laughter and then said, "Oh wait, you were serious?" then proceeded to laugh so hard they fell out of their chairs.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimjamesak View Post
    Even at something like $25 a month a Disney+, Hulu, ESPN+ bundle would be a steal.

ESPN+ is already a steal with its soccer content alone and they’re still adding more.
    I dont know if I would take advantage of all that ESPN+ would offer. I'm not a soccer fan; nor some of the other "Ocho" programming they stream. And I already have MLB and NHL thanks to MLB.tv and NHL.tv.

College Hockey is what would attract me to the service, but I wouldn't watch enough of the eastern teams to make the service worth it.

I am impressed with what ESPN+ has offered though, they certainly are trying to dig deep and get some niche programming back.

Quote Originally Posted by ticapnews View Post
    The irony is the Star Wars films are licensed to Turner for about $250 million until ~2022 and it isn't giving them back to Disney for any price. The Mouse House tried and Turner executives roared with laughter and then said, "Oh wait, you were serious?" then proceeded to laugh so hard they fell out of their chairs.
    As long as when the original trilogy come to Disney+ it has Han shooting first.

Wait, maybe I'm asking too much of Disney+ Programming. Han shooting first *and* Song of the South? Boy I'm going to be disappointed arent I?

The vault of cartoons I grew up with is what I really want. I wonder if the Afternoon Disney series will be available (original Duck Tales, TaleSpin, Chip and Dale Rescue Rangers and the best of them: Darkwing Duck). (Also hope this means *all* their episodes, even the ones that they yanked from replays.)

Registered Loser

Quote Originally Posted by The Rube View Post
    What gets me about Netflix is they don't (as far as I know) pump out DVDs for their programming/produced movies. I would love hard copies of some of their stuff, but it's not even an option. To me, that's lost money. Not everyone wants Netflix, you know.
    Physical media is dead. I haven't bought a DVD in years. It's all streaming. Besides, Netflix wants you to rent over and over and over again, not buy. There are still about 2.7 million people (~ $300M/month) who subscribe to the mail service. Why bother selling them a DVD once? It wouldn't be cost effective (and some might argue counterproductive) for Netflix to make DVDs of the content it produces. You want it? Pay them to stream it or rent it by mail. Aren't willing to? Too bad, so sad.

(The exception is Stranger Things, which is plastered all over)

Plus, there's a great thing for all these content producers hidden inside the EULAs we all click without reading. You would own a DVD. It will always be yours. A digital copy (movie, video game) is licensed to you but it can be revoked at any time. If Sony ever decides to arbitrarily cancel my PSN account I am screwed.
    I agree with ticapnews here. The demand for physical media is ever shrinking, and the under-30 consumer has never really had it in their life anyway. "Normal" for millennials and beyond is streaming content on demand. The era of the round disc is over.

Hey, I'll take advantage of this price for as long as I can. Bob Iger sees this streaming service as his legacy (as if the acquisition of Fox, Star Wars, etc aren't enough) and has set this price to guarantee as many subscribers as possible. The next Disney CEO will crank up the price.
    I will give this a good long look as well. As prices increase I'll reconsider the value, which is what most of us do now.
    I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

Waiting for the Snow to fly...
    South Chicago Burbs... For now anyways...

Disney is being pretty straight forward with their strategy... They got me hook/line/sinker...

Main things are the SIMPSONS (1st 11-12 seasons anyways), MARVEL, and Disney cartoons I'm nostalgic about... I'll get $70 of value from that in 2020...

Also worth noting: Think of it like a gym membership . How many people won't cancel when $6.99 becomes $7.99 then $9.99 and so on... BIG PICTURE here people
    It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Quote Originally Posted by aparch View Post

Wait, maybe I'm asking too much of Disney+ Programming. Han shooting first *and* Song of the South? Boy I'm going to be disappointed arent I?

The vault of cartoons I grew up with is what I really want. I wonder if the Afternoon Disney series will be available (original Duck Tales, TaleSpin, Chip and Dale Rescue Rangers and the best of them: Darkwing Duck). (Also hope this means *all* their episodes, even the ones that they yanked from replays.)
    I'd like to see the original Walt Disney (wonderful world of color) Shows that ran on NBC in the 60s.

And the original Mickey Mouse Club with all the mini series.

Yes, I am an old fart.

Never Forget!

More than likely you'll be able to watch those and more. Disney released a screenshot of the streaming service yesterday, and while 99% of attention was focused on how adorable the new Lady and The Tramp dogs are, an eagle-eyed fan said she was more excited to see the entire Lizzy McGuire series in the image. There will be an unfathomable amount of content in the Disney+ library.

One thing we're unlikely to see is the original Star Wars trilogy. Whether it was written into the contract or was a handshake deal, Disney is not releasing those non-specialized editions while Lucas is alive.

Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    I'd like to see the original Walt Disney (wonderful world of color) Shows that ran on NBC in the 60s.

And the original Mickey Mouse Club with all the mini series.

Yes, I am an old fart.
    Annette, Cubby, and Roy! (Too young to have seen them, but my mother was a fan growing up)

And oohhh I forgot about the Wonderful World of Color. Local backwoods TV station used to air the syndicated replays. Was a game changer when that station actually became an ABC affiliate in the 90's. (They were Primary CBS, with NBC programming secondary, then became ABC with occasional NBC programming, then became solely NBC; weird station.)

The other backwoods station (solely NBC) we could get if we turned the antenna used to air the Dinsey Afternoon programming.
    Last edited by aparch; 04-12-2019 at 01:22 PM.

Never Forget!

Bob Iger sees this streaming service as his legacy (as if the acquisition of Fox, Star Wars, etc aren't enough) and has set this price to guarantee as many subscribers as possible. The next Disney CEO will crank up the price.
    And now we know. Iger will step down when his contract expires at the end of 2021.

Never Forget!

Since the Disney+ news broke yesterday the stock price has gone up almost 20%. I wish I had more shares.🙁

Since the Disney+ news broke yesterday the stock price has gone up almost 20%. I wish I had more shares.🙁
    Dammit, I wish I had shares.

Lucia Apologist

Oh god. If they have the Disney afternoon stuff I’m going to need a wellness check at some point.

Never Forget!
    Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Oh god. If they have the Disney afternoon stuff I’m going to need a wellness check at some point.
    Why wouldn't they?

Lucia Apologist

Why wouldn't they?
    Because it’s disney

Never Forget!
    Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Because it’s disney
    Yeah, but Iger sees this as his legacy. He wants as many subscribers as possible. I expect them to make everything available.

Yeah, but Iger sees this as his legacy. He wants as many subscribers as possible. I expect them to make everything available.
    I wonder how much they have archived though. I've never seen Gargoyles or Bonkers re-air after their initial runs in afternoon syndication. The Mighty Ducks cartoon was just short lived on Saturday mornings. How much of this do they have on tape in a vault that they can digitize, and how long will it take to digitize this stuff?

Also interested if the lesser known straight to Disney Channel movies will be on there, like Genius.
    “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

That is pretty funny
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

The cartoons are really the only thing I would really consider it for. I have the original original trilogy both physically and...errr...ummm...less than legally

That said my gf wants it so she is gonna pay for it anyways so I am stuck with it anyways
    -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Quote Originally Posted by RaceBoarder View Post
    Disney is being pretty straight forward with their strategy... They got me hook/line/sinker...

Main things are the SIMPSONS (1st 11-12 seasons anyways), MARVEL, and Disney cartoons I'm nostalgic about... I'll get $70 of value from that in 2020...

Also worth noting: Think of it like a gym membership . How many people won't cancel when $6.99 becomes $7.99 then $9.99 and so on... BIG PICTURE here people
    I think we all know why Disney is doing it the way they are...doesnt help us much so why would the big picture matter to us? And the cancellation thing has changed over the years. People have been cancelling subscription services when the price changes happens. Not enough to really hurt the bottom line but when big networks and studios like this push too hard there will be blowback.

It is going to be interesting to see long term how well this works out for Disney. For the first few years they will make bank (and honestly they should keep the price low for that long at least) but I wonder how long people will stick with it if they dont have much need for the new content coming. It is interesting to watch as these change. I have the CBS streaming app mainly cause I like Star Trek: Discovery and hate commercials but if it doesnt expand beyond a few series I really enjoy (I am thinking Twilight Zone might be one but I am waiting a bit to watch that) I will probably cancel. I have the DC streaming app because of the various old cartoons I love, some movies and the new series but will I continue it if they dont keep making more I enjoy? I have Netflix and honestly half the time I wonder why outside of like 2 series and some comedy specials. A La carte will work for the companies if the consumer isnt discerning and never evaluates the cost benefit analysis. (like with cable) If people do become more watchful though since they can see the actual cost of each service it could be very fun to watch (from the outside) who struggles and who doesnt. And will say Hulu Live or YoutubeTV or Amazon Prime have access to them as well or not? (for an added fee of course)

It is going to be interesting to see what the landscape looks like in say 2022
    -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Thread Information