Cord cutting - what service to buy after the cable co goes away

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by aparch View Post
    *edit* Never mind. Read it wrong. You meant their TV and not the Xfinity Wifi they provide.

Their streaming app on Samsung smart TV's is trash, and only works on one of my two Samsung TV's. They also refuse to make an app for XBox, and their webpage only uses Adobe to stream, which prevents web browsing streaming devices (like the XBox) from streaming.
    Yeah I have a Sony so use the roku app. It’s in beta. Not great but it works and now I can watch local channels and not rely on hbo go Sunday when GoT drops.

Comment

Re: Cord cutting - what service to buy after the cable co goes away

I dong stream unless I have to. Too hard to get the same quality.

I know it sounds ridiculous, but after spoiling myself with a premium home theater setup, I crave top quality. Anything less than lossless feels like it’s subpar. I want to hear the effort put in by the foley artists. Nothing better than turning around because you were startled by a well-placed whisper. Or hearing and feeling a helicopter scream overhead in full 7.1 surround. I want to count every blade of grass on the field. I want to see the perfectly rendered gradient on screen.
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Assuming you're posting from your phone. Dong? What have your conversations been like since you've had that gf, dx?
        "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
          Assuming you're posting from your phone. Dong? What have your conversations been like since you've had that gf, dx?
          Lol. Yes. The T and the G are so close together on the phone.

They’ve been quite good, thank you 😁
          Code:
          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Where I hung the tv, it’s just not easy to hardwire the cable I’m so I’m just accepting streaming

Comment

well, darn. TANSTAAFL!

https://wtop.com/national/2019/04/li...ore-expensive/
              CCT '77 & '78
              4 kids
              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

This Youtube TV price increase may cause me to cancel it for a while. I signed up last year so I could watch the Sox and Bruins. Once the Bruins playoffs are over, I'm going to have a tough time justifying spending $50 per month just to watch the Red Sox. Perhaps I'll cancel until September or so and re-evaluate.

Spotify now includes the mini version of Hulu, so almost all the shows I'd watch "live" are there already and Youtube TV is just... extra money spent.
                I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

Comment

How fast to $10.99??

@fox5dc: Disney Plus streaming service to launch Nov. 12 for $6.99 a month http://www.fox5dc.com/entertainment/...or-699-a-month
                  CCT '77 & '78
                  4 kids
                  5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                  1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                  - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Ok. $7 is actually kind of enticing. Maybe.
                    Code:

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                      How fast to $10.99??

@fox5dc: Disney Plus streaming service to launch Nov. 12 for $6.99 a month https://www.fox5dc.com/entertainment...or-699-a-month
                      I was expecting $20. $6.99 is a steal.

ETA: $70 for an entire year? Hells to the yes.
                      Last edited by ticapnews; 04-11-2019, 08:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post

$700 by 2030. Just wipe out the competition first.
                        Cornell University
                        National Champion 1967, 1970
                        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post

I don't know, seems about right given what they're bringing to the table relative to Netflix. They would have been laughed off the stage at $20.

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                            Ok. $7 is actually kind of enticing. Maybe.
                            Disney needs to shut up and take my money if that's what they're offering Disney+ for. I'm already a Hulu subscriber, and there is talk of bundling all the mouse streaming in one package (Disney+, ESPN+, Hulu). I'd be awfully tempted to get the three pack if the price is reasonable. For now, I'd likely stick with Hulu (with ads) for $5.99 and get Disney+ for $6.99.
                            “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

It'll be $9.99 after a year or two
                              "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                                $700 by 2030. Just wipe out the competition first.
                                Hey, I'll take advantage of this price for as long as I can. Bob Iger sees this streaming service as his legacy (as if the acquisition of Fox, Star Wars, etc aren't enough) and has set this price to guarantee as many subscribers as possible. The next Disney CEO will crank up the price.

As for the competition, Netflix isn't going anywhere. It just bought a film theater in Los Angeles to guarantee the movies it produces will be Oscar-eligible. In another lifetime the idea of a single company owning the entire cycle from production to theater distribution to home distribution would have been deemed illegal, but we're living in a new Gilded Age that would make Rockefeller, Vanderbilt and Hearst envious.

Comment

Working...
                                X