Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Cord cutting - what service to buy after the cable co goes away

Re: Cord cutting - what service to buy after the cable co goes away

Registered Loser

This Youtube TV price increase may cause me to cancel it for a while. I signed up last year so I could watch the Sox and Bruins. Once the Bruins playoffs are over, I'm going to have a tough time justifying spending $50 per month just to watch the Red Sox. Perhaps I'll cancel until September or so and re-evaluate.

Spotify now includes the mini version of Hulu, so almost all the shows I'd watch "live" are there already and Youtube TV is just... extra money spent.
    I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

How fast to $10.99??

@fox5dc: Disney Plus streaming service to launch Nov. 12 for $6.99 a month https://www.fox5dc.com/entertainment/...or-699-a-month

Lucia Apologist

Ok. $7 is actually kind of enticing. Maybe.

Never Forget!
    Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    How fast to $10.99??

@fox5dc: Disney Plus streaming service to launch Nov. 12 for $6.99 a month https://www.fox5dc.com/entertainment...or-699-a-month
    I was expecting $20. $6.99 is a steal.

ETA: $70 for an entire year? Hells to the yes.
    Last edited by ticapnews; 04-11-2019 at 09:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ticapnews View Post

$700 by 2030. Just wipe out the competition first.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019

I don't know, seems about right given what they're bringing to the table relative to Netflix. They would have been laughed off the stage at $20.

Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Ok. $7 is actually kind of enticing. Maybe.
    Disney needs to shut up and take my money if that's what they're offering Disney+ for. I'm already a Hulu subscriber, and there is talk of bundling all the mouse streaming in one package (Disney+, ESPN+, Hulu). I'd be awfully tempted to get the three pack if the price is reasonable. For now, I'd likely stick with Hulu (with ads) for $5.99 and get Disney+ for $6.99.
    “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Yep, still here

It'll be $9.99 after a year or two
    "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Never Forget!

Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    $700 by 2030. Just wipe out the competition first.
    Hey, I'll take advantage of this price for as long as I can. Bob Iger sees this streaming service as his legacy (as if the acquisition of Fox, Star Wars, etc aren't enough) and has set this price to guarantee as many subscribers as possible. The next Disney CEO will crank up the price.

As for the competition, Netflix isn't going anywhere. It just bought a film theater in Los Angeles to guarantee the movies it produces will be Oscar-eligible. In another lifetime the idea of a single company owning the entire cycle from production to theater distribution to home distribution would have been deemed illegal, but we're living in a new Gilded Age that would make Rockefeller, Vanderbilt and Hearst envious.

Hey, I'll take advantage of this price for as long as I can. Bob Iger sees this streaming service as his legacy (as if the acquisition of Fox, Star Wars, etc aren't enough) and has set this price to guarantee as many subscribers as possible. The next Disney CEO will crank up the price.

As for the competition, Netflix isn't going anywhere. It just bought a film theater in Los Angeles to guarantee the movies it produces will be Oscar-eligible. In another lifetime the idea of a single company owning the entire cycle from production to theater distribution to home distribution would have been deemed illegal, but we're living in a new Gilded Age that would make Rockefeller, Vanderbilt and Hearst envious.
    What gets me about Netflix is they don't (as far as I know) pump out DVDs for their programming/produced movies. I would love hard copies of some of their stuff, but it's not even an option. To me, that's lost money. Not everyone wants Netflix, you know.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Never Forget!

Quote Originally Posted by GrinCDXX View Post
    I don't know, seems about right given what they're bringing to the table relative to Netflix. They would have been laughed off the stage at $20.
    The library of old shows and movies (both Disney and Fox) alone will make it a value at $70. Add on the content Disney will produce for the service going forward and $20/month would have been high, but a considerable number of people would have paid it. The children's programming alone will make it a no-brainer for parents.

The library of old shows and movies (both Disney and Fox) alone will make it a value at $70.
    I think they said they would be doing away with the traditional "film vault" and the entire* catalog will be available.

* Pretty sure Song of the South won't be on the service, but it should.

Live Radio from 100.3

Quote Originally Posted by aparch View Post
    I think they said they would be doing away with the traditional "film vault" and the entire* catalog will be available.

Which I still think is pure BS. Way to ignore history and not use it as a teaching moment.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Yep, still here

Quote Originally Posted by The Rube View Post
    What gets me about Netflix is they don't (as far as I know) pump out DVDs for their programming/produced movies. I would love hard copies of some of their stuff, but it's not even an option. To me, that's lost money. Not everyone wants Netflix, you know.
    I haven't seen any Netflix movies that are worth anything beyond my time and subscription so far. Some of their series, sure. I've seen those for sale.
    "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Never Forget!

Quote Originally Posted by The Rube View Post
    Physical media is dead. I haven't bought a DVD in years. It's all streaming. Besides, Netflix wants you to rent over and over and over again, not buy. There are still about 2.7 million people (~ $300M/month) who subscribe to the mail service. Why bother selling them a DVD once? It wouldn't be cost effective (and some might argue counterproductive) for Netflix to make DVDs of the content it produces. You want it? Pay them to stream it or rent it by mail. Aren't willing to? Too bad, so sad.

(The exception is Stranger Things, which is plastered all over)

Plus, there's a great thing for all these content producers hidden inside the EULAs we all click without reading. You would own a DVD. It will always be yours. A digital copy (movie, video game) is licensed to you but it can be revoked at any time. If Sony ever decides to arbitrarily cancel my PSN account I am screwed.

Physical media is dead. I haven't bought a DVD in years. It's all streaming. Besides, Netflix wants you to rent over and over and over again, not buy. There are still about 2.7 million people (~ $300M/month) who subscribe to the mail service. Why bother selling them a DVD once? It wouldn't be cost effective (and some might argue counterproductive) for Netflix to make DVDs of the content it produces. You want it? Pay them to stream it or rent it by mail. Aren't willing to? Too bad, so sad.

Plus, there's a great thing for all these content producers hidden inside the EULAs we all click without reading. You would own a DVD. It will always be yours. A digital copy (movie, video game) is licensed to you but it can be revoked at any time. If Sony ever decides to arbitrarily cancel my PSN account I am screwed.
    I have Netflix streaming/disc plans. I really want their Hip Hop Evolution on DVD, also the movie Hush (there is a different movie by the same name, btw, I want the one about the deaf/mute woman). Sometimes you don't have internet, or in my case, when I visit my parents, I always bring a movie to watch as a family. I think Netflix could profit a little from satisfying that demand. It costs NOTHING to make a DVD. Just have it where you can only buy it from NetflixStore(dot)com, no membership needed, etc.

Has Anger Issues FadeToBlack&Gold's Avatar

The original version that Walt Disney only played at private parties?
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    The original version that Walt Disney only played at private parties?
    Haha!

It's not like it's Jerry Lewis' The Day the Clown Died...

Live Radio from 100.3

Already insane, UAA making it worse
    Disney needs to shut up and take my money if that's what they're offering Disney+ for. I'm already a Hulu subscriber, and there is talk of bundling all the mouse streaming in one package (Disney+, ESPN+, Hulu). I'd be awfully tempted to get the three pack if the price is reasonable. For now, I'd likely stick with Hulu (with ads) for $5.99 and get Disney+ for $6.99.
    Even at something like $25 a month a Disney+, Hulu, ESPN+ bundle would be a steal.

ESPN+ is already a steal with its soccer content alone and they’re still adding more.

Thread Information