Cord cutting - what service to buy after the cable co goes away

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cord cutting - what service to buy after the cable co goes away

I've been using Spectrum for internet and YouTube TV (6 months or so) for channels. Has worked great so far.
    PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
    Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
    NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
      That's a reason people in BFE have shiatty service. The problem is people in dense, major metropolitan areas also don't have service anywhere close in cost or speed to what is available worldwide, let alone a place like Seoul.

You can excuse poor service in Wyoming. You can't do so in a place like Manhattan.
      Fair enough. I'd actually be curious to see some sort of breakdown of population density as a distance from the center of the city and then compare that to what European cities look like. What portion of the population lives in the burbs compared to Europe? Something like this or any number of these graphs.

I'm not saying America's service doesn't suck a-s and isn't driven by out-of-control corporate greed, I'm just curious what the breakdown is and how "cost per service quality" breaks down with various population density gradients and city sizes. That and cities within red states compared to blue states.
      Last edited by dxmnkd316; 03-21-2019, 04:47 PM.
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
        Fair enough. I'd actually be curious to see some sort of breakdown of population density as a distance from the center of the city and then compare that to what European cities look like. What portion of the population lives in the burbs compared to Europe? Something like this or any number of these graphs.

I'm not saying America's service doesn't suck a-s and isn't driven by out-of-control corporate greed, I'm just curious what the breakdown is and how "cost per service quality" breaks down with various population density gradients and city sizes. That and cities within red states compared to blue states.
        Well, it's not a graph and the latest year at the bottom says 2005, but here's something. Looks like urban and suburban density are roughly 2.5 times higher in Europe than the US.
        Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
          The same Europe with 180% the population of the US and half the total area? That Europe?
          What does their population density have to do with our corporate greed?

Comment

Comcast fires back??

https://wtop.com/business-finance/20...net-customers/
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids
            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

It's firing starter pistol blanks.
              "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                "Is Roku too inexpensive? Prefer giving us $60 a year (per box?)? Then you'll love our option!"

Comment

Yeah I don’t get that at all. Dumb. Considering there are about 500 products on the market already that probably do it better for cheaper.

This just doesn’t make sense.
                  Code:
                  May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                  He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

I took a break from Sling last year after football season. This year, I tried out something that Spectrum was offering where I get locals and ten cable channels of my choice for $25 for the next two years. When the sale price ends, I'll probably look around again.
                    "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
                      Speed-wise, at least in my experience with PSVue, I have the slowest internet Comcast provides around here (25mb) and rarely have issues with quality. Sony says Vue only needs 10mb. If there are issues with quality it appears contained to certain channels, which tells me it's probably something on Sony's end. But again, that's with just one of us usually using a major stream. Those with multiple users may need to bump it up.
                      Posted this, but after some issues with the NCAA tournament channels, went to the Vue Reddit page to see if anyone else was having an issue. There was a guy who said he believed he found a fix to an issue he was having regarding DVR playback and also live TV having connectivity and skipping issues. I haven't had the DVR issues he had, but it seems more recently, and specifically with live sports, there has been more skipping and an increase in the time it takes to "flip the switch" to 720 quality. It's been especially bad on TBS and TruTV, for whatever reason TNT was okay.

Anyway, he said he changed his DNS servers on his router from his ISP provider to OpenDNS and the issues went away. I tried the same and changed to first Google and then Cloudflare and each had a near zero response time in going straight to 720. Something I never would have thought of but it appears to have done the trick.

1966, 1986, 2007

Comment

Sounds like your ISP and his are both throttling the stream via their DNS servers.
                        “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Spotify Premium now includes Hulu for free.

NEAT!
                          Code:

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                            Sounds like your ISP and his are both throttling the stream via their DNS servers.
                            Both have Xfinity so it's quite possible.

1966, 1986, 2007

Comment

I honestly did not know until today that you can stream xfinity wirelessly. Now I can avoid the cord going across room and stream it through roku. Not perfect but it works

Comment

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
                                I honestly did not know until today that you can stream xfinity wirelessly. Now I can avoid the cord going across room and stream it through roku. Not perfect but it works
                                *edit* Never mind. Read it wrong. You meant their TV and not the Xfinity Wifi they provide.

Their streaming app on Samsung smart TV's is trash, and only works on one of my two Samsung TV's. They also refuse to make an app for XBox, and their webpage only uses Adobe to stream, which prevents web browsing streaming devices (like the XBox) from streaming.
                                Last edited by aparch; 04-04-2019, 11:56 AM.
                                “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Working...
                                X