Cord cutting - what service to buy after the cable co goes away

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cord cutting - what service to buy after the cable co goes away

Thinking about ditching FIOS and signing up for something cheaper. It's just my wife and I here with the occasional grandkid over for a visit.

Keep FIOS internet and
    HULU-TV or
    SLING TV or
    FUBO or
    ????

I don't watch network TV that much and have Netflix and Prime for movies. Primarily watch MLB and or NHL and HGTV / DiY, Discovery, Science and Smithsonian. For world news its generally the BBC. I think ESPN is necessary.

Wife watches Lifetime and Hallmark.

Proably have 5 TVs. BR, 2 guest rooms, office and Family.

Anyone have a recommendation and why?
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Re: Cord cutting - what service to buy after the cable co goes away

I would go to each of those streaming services and see what their sites say for offerings.

I cut the cord a few years ago, and I have standard Hulu, not the Hulu-TV option, and can watch a lot cable and network TV, but not all. Disney now has a 35% stake in the company since its acquisition of 20th Century Fox, so its listings are likely to grow.

I have no experience with the others listed, and like you, I also have Netflix and Prime.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
      I would go to each of those streaming services and see what their sites say for offerings.

I cut the cord a few years ago, and I have standard Hulu, not the Hulu-TV option, and can watch a lot cable and network TV, but not all. Disney now has a 35% stake in the company since its acquisition of 20th Century Fox, so its listings are likely to grow.

I have no experience with the others listed, and like you, I also have Netflix and Prime.

I've got the same setup: Prime, Netflix, and Hulu. I could probably cancel all of them and not miss it.

I do usually stream something when I bike in the gym at work so I don't get bored, so like an hour a day but i'd probably be fine just listening to music instead. My 10 year old son has never lived with cable in the house, so he thinks it's kind of cool when he visits his grandparents.

Comment

Disney is also rumored to be making their own streaming platform for everything in the House of Mouse (not sure what that will do to Hulu...)

Joe, if you're a local MLB/NHL fan, your options are going to be limited as I believe (and others can correct me) Sling/Hulu locals dont offer the regional sports nets.

Out of market streaming is the best it's ever been with MLB.tv and NHL.tv. NHL is a little more restrictive, with local team, playoffs, and all national broadcasts (NHLNet/NBCSN/NBC) blacked out (NBC/NBCSN streams in the NBC app with Cable Co login). MLB only blacks out local market, ESPN Sunday Night Baseball, HR Derby, All Star Game, and postseason games. (And maybe whatever your local FOX Saturday game is, but I cant remember)

Obviously if/when you go streaming more, you're going to have to have a good internet package, and sometimes bundling a fast internet and basic TV package is cheaper than internet only.

I have a middle-ish TV package which included HBO, 150+ Mbps internet, netflix, hulu (not hulu tv), MLB.tv and NHL.tv. and I'd say it comes to just around 180/mo.
        *edit* Forgot Amazon Prime. So closer to 200/mo.
        *edit2* Which is still cheaper than my mom with DirecTV only (she has the top plan from them because the internet doesn't reach where she is).

Your mileage may vary.
        Last edited by aparch; 03-20-2019, 10:52 AM.
        “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

subscribed
          Code:
          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
          Originally posted by SanTropez
          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
          Originally posted by Kepler
          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
            Disney is also rumored to be making their own streaming platform for everything in the House of Mouse (not sure what that will do to Hulu...)
            That's not a rumor, Disney has publicly discussed it. They bought Fox to add specific content to their service. At the same time, they're not abandoning Hulu, but it's a matter of what content on it will look like. My suspicion is that they'll likely keep some content on that service that they don't necessarily want closely tied with their own family-friendly product (think: Deadpool).
            "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

Comment

Youtube TV carries several RSNs, and has been my cable-replacement for about 9 months now. I have Netflix and my girlfriend has Prime as well. We sign up for HBO/Showtime/insert premium here when a show we're interested in is on, then cancel when it's over.
              I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

Comment

Before talking about what streaming service you get...

What internet do you plan on keeping? While the TV cable is being cut, the actual communication cable has to be there. Unless you have a great mobile service that allows a ton of streaming.

Given that all of the internet providers are also TV providers, are there good deals out there for internet so that the total price is less than the whole package?

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                  Before talking about what streaming service you get...

What internet do you plan on keeping? While the TV cable is being cut, the actual communication cable has to be there. Unless you have a great mobile service that allows a ton of streaming.

Given that all of the internet providers are also TV providers, are there good deals out there for internet so that the total price is less than the whole package?
                  When I originally ditched cable TV, I was paying to Charter $160/month for TV and internet. After cutting the cord, I then was paying $60 to Charter for internet, then added Netflix and Hulu subscriptions, along with HBO's streaming service. So I was saving about $60/month. I've no idea what it costs for Cable TV today in my area, but my Netflix prices have rose $3 since then, Hulu has gone down $2, and HBO has stayed flat.

Comment

When I originally ditched cable TV, I was paying to Charter $160/month for TV and internet. After cutting the cord, I then was paying $60 to Charter for internet, then added Netflix and Hulu subscriptions, along with HBO's streaming service. So I was saving about $60/month. I've no idea what it costs for Cable TV today in my area, but my Netflix prices have rose $3 since then, Hulu has gone down $2, and HBO has stayed flat.
                    Do you have phone? We are old timers that still have a very well used land line number....

Comment

Do you have phone? We are old timers that still have a very well used land line number....
                      Not a home phone, if that's what you mean. I only have a cell phone. Back when I did have both a cell and land line, the land line was never used. Why keep it?

Comment

Not a home phone, if that's what you mean. I only have a cell phone. Back when I did have both a cell and land line, the land line was never used. Why keep it?
                        We keep it more for history- had it before the internet existed- so many people know it, well. And it does not cost much.

But I get the point of cutting it if we lose cable and whatnot.

Comment

I haven't had a land-line for years. When my son got old enough to take the bus home and be home alone for a few hours until the wife and I got done work I got him an iPhone.

Comment

Losing the landline was one of the greatest moments of freedom in my life. It was up there with driving and telling my parents I wasn't going to church anymore during the 1975 WS.

Consigning cable to the flames will be up there, too.
                            Cornell University
                            National Champion 1967, 1970
                            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Cable is the one thing I think we're going to regret.

That’s was collective bargaining and we didn’t realize. We’re all going to pay more for fewer channels and content in five to ten years. And I mean relatively more, costs go up every year but those companies argue on our behalf.

Then again, once we started to let content providers become or buy content creators, we f-cked ourselves.
                              Code:
                              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                              Originally posted by SanTropez
                              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                              Originally posted by Kepler
                              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Working...
                              X