Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Cord cutting - what service to buy after the cable co goes away

HBO Max and BBC team up

Ahead of its launch, up-and-coming streaming service HBO Max has secured a key partnership with BBC Studios. The exclusive partnership sees BBC joining a bevy of WarnerMedia networks — including HBO, Warner Bros., CNN, TNT, TBS — who will all provide content to the streamer.

Per a press release, the BBC deal means HBO Max is going to add hit series like Doctor Who, The Office starring Ricky Gervais, and Luther to its library of TV shows and movies. The HBO Max-BBC deal is a formidable one, giving U.S. viewers a new level of access to beloved UK offerings that have been a bit cumbersome or had a limited ability to access in the past. Now, fans and curious newcomers can happily stream these shows and more from BBC to their heart’s content when HBO launches.

The press release notes that all 11 seasons, including the Season 11 premiere, of Doctor Who will be made available when the streamer is launched in spring 2020. Additionally, HBO Max will have exclusive SVOD rights to all future Doctor Who seasons, including Season 12 after it wraps up on BBC America. As if that bit of news isn’t thoroughly delightful on its own, this deal between HBO Max and BBC means the streamer has licensed over 700 episodes of prime UK material, including the aforementioned original Office series featuring Gervais and Luther as well as the Maggie Gyllenhaal-led nine-part miniseries The Honourable Woman and Top Gear. In addition to securing established series for their library, HBO Max will be the exclusive home of forthcoming series from BBC, including Pure, Trigonometry, Stath Lets Flats, Home, and Ghosts. All of the shows will be available upon launch.

Comment

I wish to f-ck they would show Dr. Who all the way from the beginning. The 00's reboot is an anodyne snooze but the 60s and 70s shows are wonderful. I don't think I ever saw an 80s version.
      Last edited by Kepler; 08-02-2019, 02:22 PM.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
        I wish to f-ck they would show Dr Who all the way from the beginning. The 00's reboot is an anodyne snooze but the 60s and 70s shows are wonderful. I don't think I ever saw an 80s version.
        The only old ones I saw were a few Tom Baker episodes which aired on PBS when I was a little kid. I had no idea what was going on. The classic episodes are on Brit Box (available through Amazon Prime for $7/month)

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
          The only old ones I saw were a few Tom Baker episodes which aired on PBS when I was a little kid. I had no idea what was going on. The classic episodes are on Brit Box (available through Amazon Prime for $7/month)
          There are stragglers on line but the quality is sh-tty.

The Beeb destroyed many of the early episodes because F-CKING STUPID.
          Cornell University
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
            I wish to f-ck they would show Do Who all the way from the beginning. The 00's reboot is an anodyne snooze but the 60s and 70s shows are wonderful. I don't think I ever saw an 80s version.
            Most original seasons dont exist. BBC like many Broadcasters at that time erased and reused tapes.

So anything before 80s is pretty unlikely, unless its just a single episode that randomly survived.
            PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
            Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
            NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Didn’t someone a few years ago uncover a bunch of VCR tapes of some of the oldest episodes?
              Code:
              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
              Originally posted by SanTropez
              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
              Originally posted by Kepler
              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                I wish to f-ck they would show Dr. Who all the way from the beginning. The 00's reboot is an anodyne snooze but the 60s and 70s shows are wonderful. I don't think I ever saw an 80s version.
                So no recommendation for the Tennant run? I do plan to catch up on the current batch with his Broadchurch co-star the first female Dr. Who.

Comment

• Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                  So no recommendation for the Tennant run? I do plan to catch up on the current batch with his Broadchurch co-star the first female Dr. Who.
                  Maybe he got bored with Eccleston and missed Tennant? Tennant was my favorite incarnation of the doctor.
                  “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                    I really enjoyed the Tennant run (they're showing his last episode in theaters next week since it's been 10 years since it aired), I'm looking forward to rewatching them in preparation.

Comment

• Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                      The modern Doctor Who is good. Kep is being his normal snobbish old man self. Tennant was great. Matt Smith was ok. The old guy was good and the current woman is very good.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                        The modern Doctor Who is good. Kep is being his normal snobbish old man self. Tennant was great. Matt Smith was ok. The old guy was good and the current woman is very good.
                        No love for Eccleston kicking off the whole reboot?
                        “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                          Honestly, no. He was only one season and was written off for a reason. None of his episodes really stand out to me. When I think of the Doctor I envision Tennant, Smith or even Tom Baker. Capaldi was good too. He has the best scene - entering a Medieval arena through a fog, riding a tank and playing electric guitar. That was awesome. Eccelston is near the bottom of my list of Doctors.

Comment

• Originally posted by aparch View Post
                            He was fine. Liked him more than Smith, but only 1 season makes it tough to fully grade.

Comment

Eccleston end of the universe episode was good. Introduced the last human.
                              PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                              Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                              NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                                No, this one time I wasn't snobbing out. I wasn't saying the older Doctor Who was better television... I was saying it was way worse and that's what made it interesting to me.

DW was never strong on plot or character or, really, anything but its awkward, funky lofi production values, so taking those away made it (IMO) just another show.

However I haven't seen either of the last 2 doctors so for all I know it's the greatest thing on TV now.
                                Cornell University

Comment

Working...
                                X