Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Cord cutting - what service to buy after the cable co goes away

Quote Originally Posted by ticapnews View Post
    Disney+ will partner with Charter to prevent password sharing.
    how?

Waiting for the Snow to fly...
    South Chicago Burbs... For now anyways...

Re: Cord cutting - what service to buy after the cable co goes away

Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    how?
    I'm sure they can tell that Joe's account was streaming 4 different things at one time at 8:42pm on Fri. Aug. 16. Joe only has 1 user registered, therefore he's in violation kind of thing. They can also tell different devices like PC's, phones, tablets, etc.

I don't know the nuts & bolts but I'm sure it's not difficult to track...
    It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Never Forget!

Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    how?
    They aren't saying.

ďAdditionally, Disney and Charter have also agreed to work together on piracy mitigation. The two companies will work together to implement business rules and techniques to address such issues as unauthorized access and password sharing.Ē
    They aren't likely to tell us, but it seems apparent it's going to involve them keeping track of IP addresses and cracking down on people using multiple devices. Problem is I watch Netflix on
    Downstairs TV
    PS4
    Living Room TV
    Bedroom TV
    Laptop
    Cell phone 1
    Cell phone 2

Plus my mom (with whom I'm allowed to share a password) watches on
    Master Bedroom TV
    Surface
    Cell phone 3

That's not even considering the travel I do where I access it from hotels and trains.

Netflix says password sharing is something you have to learn to live with. The former HBO president said he had no problem with password sharing - "our job is to make you an addict" - because they were more concerned with how many people were watching a program and they assumed a percentage of the password sharers will eventually get an account of their own. Disney has already created the addicts; the Mouse is worried about profits.

What they all said.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Quote Originally Posted by RaceBoarder View Post
    I'm sure they can tell that Joe's account was streaming 4 different things at one time at 8:42pm on Fri. Aug. 16. Joe only has 1 user registered, therefore he's in violation kind of thing. They can also tell different devices like PC's, phones, tablets, etc.

I don't know the nuts & bolts but I'm sure it's not difficult to track...
    Ok. mlb.tv allows 2 simultaneous devices with the same IP. If one of my kids wants to watch the Red Sox game and so do I, one of us is getting the boot.

Lucia Apologist

Quote Originally Posted by ticapnews View Post
    They aren't saying.

They aren't likely to tell us, but it seems apparent it's going to involve them keeping track of IP addresses and cracking down on people using multiple devices. Problem is I watch Netflix on
    Downstairs TV
    PS4
    Living Room TV
    Bedroom TV
    Laptop
    Cell phone 1
    Cell phone 2

Plus my mom (with whom I'm allowed to share a password) watches on
    Master Bedroom TV
    Surface
    Cell phone 3

That's not even considering the travel I do where I access it from hotels and trains.

Netflix says password sharing is something you have to learn to live with. The former HBO president said he had no problem with password sharing - "our job is to make you an addict" - because they were more concerned with how many people were watching a program and they assumed a percentage of the password sharers will eventually get an account of their own. Disney has already created the addicts; the Mouse is worried about profits.
    Yeah but everything behind your router has the same IP address to charter.

Yeah, the travel thing is going to be potentially tricky. But credit card companies figures it out ages ago.

Also, Disney is going about this wrong. Just price it into your model. Not everyone who shares a password is going to buy it solo. So add some percentage onto it.

Never Forget!
    Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

Yeah, the travel thing is going to be potentially tricky. But credit card companies figures it out ages ago.

Also, Disney is going about this wrong. Just price it into your model. Not everyone who shares a password is going to buy it solo. So add some percentage onto it.
    It won't necessarily be one IP. Sure my main IP is Consolidated Communication, but I also have AT&T and my mother has Consumer Cellular. I can also connect a couple times a month to the Xfinity tower nearby. Four IP addresses for a single residence.

But if I share an apartment with three other people and the four of us share a single Disney+ account that shows up as one IP address in one geographic location.

On the other hand, some services have a family plan but my parents may live in Boston, my sister in California and me in Maine. That's three different IPs in three different geographic locations.

It's going to be way too easy for Disney+ to get false positives while missing some of the theft it most wants to catch. Disney better make sure the system works well or it risks alienating legitimate paying customers.

Apartheid Loving Conservadem!
    Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

Yep. Or tier it like Netflix and Hulu where you can allow periods to use it if you pay a few bucks more.

I mean I know Di$ney is cash strapped but I think they can survive. Cut ESPN if you have to

New to this but so many options, my head can't handle it. I feel like there is no single option that can replace what I get in terms of sports content by keeping Comcast. I want to pull the trigger but can't do it.

Waiting for the Snow to fly...
    South Chicago Burbs... For now anyways...

Quote Originally Posted by J.D. View Post
    New to this but so many options, my head can't handle it. I feel like there is no single option that can replace what I get in terms of sports content by keeping Comcast. I want to pull the trigger but can't do it.
    That's the rub. A la carte options don't save you money. You still will probably miss out on something unless you either get EVERYTHING or you have very concise and consistent viewing habits.
    It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Quote Originally Posted by RaceBoarder View Post
    That's the rub. A la carte options don't save you money. You still will probably miss out on something unless you either get EVERYTHING or you have very concise and consistent viewing habits.
    It's not so much that as there is no good cord cutting option for sports fans who want to watch local teams. The major pro sports let you stream out of market games easily, but blackout in market games. And antennas to get the local over the air channels will cover some of it but less and less each year as cable companies get more and more rights to games.

For pretty much everything other than sports, the mix and match streaming options will save you money.

Already insane, UAA making it worse
    Quote Originally Posted by unofan View Post
    It's not so much that as there is no good cord cutting option for sports fans who want to watch local teams. The major pro sports let you stream out of market games easily, but blackout in market games. And antennas to get the local over the air channels will cover some of it but less and less each year as cable companies get more and more rights to games.

For pretty much everything other than sports, the mix and match streaming options will save you money.
    Itís this issue that seems to be driving MLS to put all of itís non-National games on a streaming service for their next TV Contract.

This is why I still have Comcast. May even drop Netflix, my only non Comcast entity

Generic Catchy Message
    PS Vue has the following:
    ESPN, 2, U, News, SEC, ACC
    FS1 and FS2, fox regional in most areas
    MLB, NBA, NFL, NHL
    NBCSN, Olympic, golf, tennis
    BeIn
    CBSSN

All for 55 bucks. I donít know if they have the Comcast sports regional channels if thatís your local teamís channel, and if youíre in Boston I know they dropped NESN, but it definitely has the most comprehensive sports lineup. A comparable lineup with Comcast wouldíve been 200+ a month last I checked, but that was awhile ago.

Lucia Apologist

Quote Originally Posted by unofan View Post

For me, it's always going to be Gopher hockey that's the issue. Gopher football would probably be easier. Twins could be an issue, but with VPN these days, there are no blackouts if you don't want there to be.

I think I could get by with just HBO, FX+, and a combo of Hulu and Netflix. I've been meaning to build a home theater PC as well. If I cut comcast out, it would pay for itself in months. And since I've been with my GF, we've been watching a fraction of what we used to.

I really have some thinking to do.
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Quote Originally Posted by SanTropez View Post
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West.

Quote Originally Posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
    This is why I still have Comcast. May even drop Netflix, my only non Comcast entity
    Not sure if it applies everywhere but I actually entered into a new contract with Comcast to lower my bill. Part of the package included Netflix and you can access it by saying Netflix into the voice remote. Before that we had a separate Netflix account we accessed with a Roku. I forget all the numbers behind it but it made sense to do the Comcast Netflix option.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
    PS Vue has the following:
    ESPN, 2, U, News, SEC, ACC
    FS1 and FS2, fox regional in most areas
    MLB, NBA, NFL, NHL
    NBCSN, Olympic, golf, tennis
    BeIn
    CBSSN

All for 55 bucks. I don’t know if they have the Comcast sports regional channels if that’s your local team’s channel, and if you’re in Boston I know they dropped NESN, but it definitely has the most comprehensive sports lineup. A comparable lineup with Comcast would’ve been 200+ a month last I checked, but that was awhile ago.
    Not having NESN would def be a deal breaker for me. I also enjoy the Big Ten Network and was ticked when Comcast dropped it last year to only Big Ten states. They have since brought BTN back to all states (or at least it's back in my channel lineup in Boston). Now the funny thing is BC is in the ACC yet Comcast doesn't even have a deal in place for ACC states to carry the new ACC Network. As of right now, Comcast has no deal at all with the ACCN.

Another part of this equation is we have home security thru Comcast. My wife is hung up on that. When Comcast first ditched BTN I wanted to switch to Fios but she couldn't identify a replacement home security option she liked/wanted. Mind you I don't think we need any home security system but I digress...

Apartheid Loving Conservadem!

If you get Hulu LiveTv or YouTube Red they have all the sports stations you could need for way less than Comcast. I get all the FSNs, ESPNs and BTN (plus NBCSN) so I never miss any of the Gopher Games that are broadcast. I cant tell you about NFL Network because I would never watch that. (though Golf is on for sure and I think MLB is but I never watch that either)

Even with high end internet I am paying half of what I was with cable.
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    If you get Hulu LiveTv or YouTube Red they have all the sports stations you could need for way less than Comcast. I get all the FSNs, ESPNs and BTN (plus NBCSN) so I never miss any of the Gopher Games that are broadcast. I cant tell you about NFL Network because I would never watch that. (though Golf is on for sure and I think MLB is but I never watch that either)

What internet provider? I hear nothing but horror about century link. I want US internet but they arenít in Edina.
    For me, if Comcast internet alone is close to 90, the $150 I pay for everything doesnít seem too bad

Lucia Apologist

Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post

huh... well ****. Now I really have to think about this. I could probably put together an HTPC for $500-$750 that would do everything I need an more (for years to come)
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Quote Originally Posted by SanTropez View Post
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West.

Has Anger Issues FadeToBlack&Gold's Avatar

WOW is my ISP. Very few issues, unlike everyone else I know who constantly whines about Comcast.

Thread Information