Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Cord cutting - what service to buy after the cable co goes away

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
    I have zero interest in watching old cartoons. Years ago I tried watching Ducktales and it just wasnt as good.
    When you're a kid, they're good because you think like a kid. When you get older, most cartoons that try to tell an actual story, unlike something simple (e.g. Looney Tunes), don't stand up well. What made logic sense when you're 10, doesn't hold up when you're 30. I tried this with He-Man and Transformers - loved both of them when I was in grade school (born in '77), and now they're just horribly unwatchable after an episode or two, once the nostalgia runs dry.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
      When you're a kid, they're good because you think like a kid. When you get older, most cartoons that try to tell an actual story, unlike something simple (e.g. Looney Tunes), don't stand up well. What made logic sense when you're 10, doesn't hold up when you're 30. I tried this with He-Man and Transformers - loved both of them when I was in grade school (born in '77), and now they're just horribly unwatchable after an episode or two, once the nostalgia runs dry.
      Exactly. Now if I had kids...then I would sing a different tune. I would use Disney+ like my friends use Netflix and let the kid bingewatch all of it. But me...I can think of about 10000000 things I would rather do. More than likely re-watching them would destroy the good memories I have of them.
      "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
      -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
      -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
      -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

I have zero interest in watching old cartoons. Years ago I tried watching Ducktales and it just wasnt as good.
        First couple of seasons of Scooby Doo still hold up.
        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
        Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
          First couple of seasons of Scooby Doo still hold up.
          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
          -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
          -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

If the announced lineup at launch doesn't sell you on the Disney+ service this is sure to! Jon Favreau developing...wait for it....A Star Wars Holiday Special! Just what you always wanted!

Comment

• Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
              If the announced lineup at launch doesn't sell you on the Disney+ service this is sure to! Jon Favreau developing...wait for it....A Star Wars Holiday Special! Just what you always wanted!
              That coupled with Beverly Hills chihuahua 3 will do it

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                It wont have Coked Out Carrie Fisher so I am out!
                -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

It wont have Coked Out Carrie Fisher so I am out!
                  We agree on something. Finally.
                  Cornell University
                  National Champion 1967, 1970
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Bugs Bunny is timeless.

Rocky & Bullwinkle is even funnier now because everything parodied is way worse.

I just started watching Popeyes from the 30s and 40s and they're balls deep funny and incredibly subversive.

Speed Racer in a theater with hundreds of patrons under various influences is a deeply religious experience and can lead to sex, much of it consensual.
                    Last edited by Kepler; 09-18-2019, 10:03 PM.
                    Cornell University
                    National Champion 1967, 1970
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Cartoons like Transformers, GI Joe, He-Man etc that were just toy commercials suck. There are lots of cartoons that don't fall into that category beyond just Looney Tunes.

But Disney is banking on people mainlining nostalgia like it was heroin. Actually, most of Hollywood is with all these remakes, reboots and reimaginings. And it seems to be working out pretty well for them and their bank accounts.

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                        Cartoons like Transformers, GI Joe, He-Man etc that were just toy commercials suck. There are lots of cartoons that don't fall into that category beyond just Looney Tunes.

But Disney is banking on people mainlining nostalgia like it was heroin. Actually, most of Hollywood is with all these remakes, reboots and reimaginings. And it seems to be working out pretty well for them and their bank accounts.
                        Yes, I'd think most adults have long ago realized that. The kids, however, drink it in and go full boat on the toys that they see on TV.

Tangential to this, I grew up with a guy who recreated the Star Wars movies when we were in middle school, using the various toys from all of the movies. He did it all using stop-action animation of the toys. His love of this type of animation continued, and he started doing some parody shorts. Eventually, he moved to California after college and got involved with the right people to ultimately become one of the Robot Chicken creators.
                        "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

Comment

Dang
                          Code:
                          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                          Originally posted by SanTropez
                          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                          Originally posted by Kepler
                          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Yes, I'd think most adults have long ago realized that. The kids, however, drink it in and go full boat on the toys that they see on TV.

Tangential to this, I grew up with a guy who recreated the Star Wars movies when we were in middle school, using the various toys from all of the movies. He did it all using stop-action animation of the toys. His love of this type of animation continued, and he started doing some parody shorts. Eventually, he moved to California after college and got involved with the right people to ultimately become one of the Robot Chicken creators.
                            Awesome.
                            **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                            Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

I can still watch Duck Tales and Looney Tunes and enjoy them.

DuckTales does have an overarching storyline, so that helps it. But even a single episode stands up for me.

Not sure about other cartoons, like Voltron (cars) however.
                              PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                              Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                              NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
                                I can still watch Duck Tales and Looney Tunes and enjoy them.

DuckTales does have an overarching storyline, so that helps it. But even a single episode stands up for me.

Not sure about other cartoons, like Voltron (cars) however.
                                Robotech: Macross Saga holds up to what I remember, but it was also originally an anime show from Japan intended for tweens and up. Funimation just altered a few bits here and there to make it available to kids of all ages over here. I got it on DVD a few years ago, and watched it over a few weeks, and most of it was still good.

Comment

Working...
                                X