Cord cutting - what service to buy after the cable co goes away

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
    That's the rub. A la carte options don't save you money. You still will probably miss out on something unless you either get EVERYTHING or you have very concise and consistent viewing habits.
    It's not so much that as there is no good cord cutting option for sports fans who want to watch local teams. The major pro sports let you stream out of market games easily, but blackout in market games. And antennas to get the local over the air channels will cover some of it but less and less each year as cable companies get more and more rights to games.

For pretty much everything other than sports, the mix and match streaming options will save you money.

Comment

• Originally posted by unofan View Post
      It's not so much that as there is no good cord cutting option for sports fans who want to watch local teams. The major pro sports let you stream out of market games easily, but blackout in market games. And antennas to get the local over the air channels will cover some of it but less and less each year as cable companies get more and more rights to games.

For pretty much everything other than sports, the mix and match streaming options will save you money.
      It’s this issue that seems to be driving MLS to put all of it’s non-National games on a streaming service for their next TV Contract.
      U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
      Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
      I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
      But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
      Originally posted by Doyle Woody
      Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Originally posted by J.D. View Post
        New to this but so many options, my head can't handle it. I feel like there is no single option that can replace what I get in terms of sports content by keeping Comcast. I want to pull the trigger but can't do it.
        This is why I still have Comcast. May even drop Netflix, my only non Comcast entity

Comment

• Originally posted by J.D. View Post
          New to this but so many options, my head can't handle it. I feel like there is no single option that can replace what I get in terms of sports content by keeping Comcast. I want to pull the trigger but can't do it.
          PS Vue has the following:
          ESPN, 2, U, News, SEC, ACC
          FS1 and FS2, fox regional in most areas
          MLB, NBA, NFL, NHL
          NBCSN, Olympic, golf, tennis
          BeIn
          CBSSN

All for 55 bucks. I don’t know if they have the Comcast sports regional channels if that’s your local team’s channel, and if you’re in Boston I know they dropped NESN, but it definitely has the most comprehensive sports lineup. A comparable lineup with Comcast would’ve been 200+ a month last I checked, but that was awhile ago.
          Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

• Re: Cord cutting - what service to buy after the cable co goes away

Originally posted by unofan View Post

For me, it's always going to be Gopher hockey that's the issue. Gopher football would probably be easier. Twins could be an issue, but with VPN these days, there are no blackouts if you don't want there to be.

I think I could get by with just HBO, FX+, and a combo of Hulu and Netflix. I've been meaning to build a home theater PC as well. If I cut comcast out, it would pay for itself in months. And since I've been with my GF, we've been watching a fraction of what we used to.

I really have some thinking to do.
            Code:
            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
            Originally posted by SanTropez
            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
            Originally posted by Kepler
            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
              This is why I still have Comcast. May even drop Netflix, my only non Comcast entity
              Not sure if it applies everywhere but I actually entered into a new contract with Comcast to lower my bill. Part of the package included Netflix and you can access it by saying Netflix into the voice remote. Before that we had a separate Netflix account we accessed with a Roku. I forget all the numbers behind it but it made sense to do the Comcast Netflix option.

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
              PS Vue has the following:
              ESPN, 2, U, News, SEC, ACC
              FS1 and FS2, fox regional in most areas
              MLB, NBA, NFL, NHL
              NBCSN, Olympic, golf, tennis
              BeIn
              CBSSN

All for 55 bucks. I don’t know if they have the Comcast sports regional channels if that’s your local team’s channel, and if you’re in Boston I know they dropped NESN, but it definitely has the most comprehensive sports lineup. A comparable lineup with Comcast would’ve been 200+ a month last I checked, but that was awhile ago.
              Not having NESN would def be a deal breaker for me. I also enjoy the Big Ten Network and was ticked when Comcast dropped it last year to only Big Ten states. They have since brought BTN back to all states (or at least it's back in my channel lineup in Boston). Now the funny thing is BC is in the ACC yet Comcast doesn't even have a deal in place for ACC states to carry the new ACC Network. As of right now, Comcast has no deal at all with the ACCN.

Another part of this equation is we have home security thru Comcast. My wife is hung up on that. When Comcast first ditched BTN I wanted to switch to Fios but she couldn't identify a replacement home security option she liked/wanted. Mind you I don't think we need any home security system but I digress...

Comment

If you get Hulu LiveTv or YouTube Red they have all the sports stations you could need for way less than Comcast. I get all the FSNs, ESPNs and BTN (plus NBCSN) so I never miss any of the Gopher Games that are broadcast. I cant tell you about NFL Network because I would never watch that. (though Golf is on for sure and I think MLB is but I never watch that either)

Even with high end internet I am paying half of what I was with cable.
                "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                  If you get Hulu LiveTv or YouTube Red they have all the sports stations you could need for way less than Comcast. I get all the FSNs, ESPNs and BTN (plus NBCSN) so I never miss any of the Gopher Games that are broadcast. I cant tell you about NFL Network because I would never watch that. (though Golf is on for sure and I think MLB is but I never watch that either)

What internet provider? I hear nothing but horror about century link. I want US internet but they aren’t in Edina.
                  For me, if Comcast internet alone is close to 90, the $150 I pay for everything doesn’t seem too bad

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post

huh... well ****. Now I really have to think about this. I could probably put together an HTPC for $500-$750 that would do everything I need an more (for years to come)
                    Code:
                    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

WOW is my ISP. Very few issues, unlike everyone else I know who constantly whines about Comcast.

Comment

We fired Spectrum in May, lived off-the-grid for around 30-days, then signed-up with a “new Customer” discount for Internet only cutting roughly $140 off the monthly bill. Funny thing is, when we signed back up our intention was to go Internet only, but they offered Internet and Cable for the same price. Two months later we continue to get promotional material advertising adding Cable for the same monthly rate.

I flat-out refuse to get cable even if it is “free”, but there are costs... need to “rent” the box/equipment. Admittedly it is a minor expense, but I must say eliminating cable has been quite liberating. Gone are the days of surfing the seemingly-endless selection of crap on-display only to stumble-across something in the “yeah, that’ll do” level of interest until the program ends, only to repeat the process 30min-1hr later. Pink Floyd said it best - “I’ve got 13 Channels of sh!+ on the TV to choose from”. That was in 1979... today it is more like 300 channels of sh!+!

If I want/need to waste some time growing hair in the recliner, there is always PlutoTV [free] to pass that time. Some interesting programming on there! And then there is the over-the-air broadcast “stuff”.

As for live sports, I have an NHL.TV subscription to get me through the hockey season, and the Elmira area rarely has games blacked-out. I will miss a good chunk of football games though, as we only have CBS. The FOX signal is far too weak. Although I am considering some of the options being posted here to get more sports (Hulu Live, YouTube Red, PS Vue, Fire, Roku, etc), but really my only interests are NHL (almost any game), Saints & Bills, Rugby (Union, NOT League!... Premiership, World Cup, Six Nations, etc), and a smattering of College Hockey & Football.

Having said that, there is a skill set that I must perfect. I believe that free live streams are available for a vast majority of live events... you just have to find them. A guy I work with claims he gets Penguins games all the time via this route, although he also stated that sometimes the games are called in a foreign language.

My Mother, an avid Tennis fan, was visiting recently and she wanted to watch Tennis. After disappointing her with the news that we jettisoned cable and no longer had the Tennis Channel, I could not allow her disappointment to persist. So through an extensive Reddit & Internet search, I found the match she was interested in streaming live “somewhere”. I brought it up on an old [“disposable”] iPhone and proceeded to cast the match to the TV so she could watch it live. Mama was happy, mission accomplished.

If I can become efficient in this search-and-cast process, I should be able to watch almost everything I want to see. Not bad for an old geezer.

Cheers!!!
                        ~TTF
                        Dave
                        RIT - '90

Comment

Has anyone ever done a thin client pc or server build?

Because I’d love to know if something like a raspberry pi could be used to setup an any-room dvr running off the HTPC in the basement in a future scenario.

Because I’ll admit, having a DVR both up and downstairs is kinda nice.
                          Code:

Comment

• Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
                            What internet provider? I hear nothing but horror about century link. I want US internet but they aren’t in Edina.
                            For me, if Comcast internet alone is close to 90, the $150 I pay for everything doesn’t seem too bad
                            We pay $60 for Comcast. (not sure why it never goes up) Ang had CenturyLink when I moved home from Seattle and I forced her to do it. I get faster speeds roaning in South Africa than CL. In one year we went through 3 routers as well. They are awful.

If you can't lower your internet bill keep cable if the price is that low. Ours was going to be higher so we quit. Hulu Live TV isn't perfect but since she was paying for Hulu anyways it worked out well.

dx,

The question is what do you need and how much the internet costs you. Most of the streaming services have tiers so compare and contrast. For us it was Hulu cause we had Hulu anyways and the cloud dvr was way better than YouTube or the others. We didn't add HBO or anything because we are lucky both our parents have it. Be discerning and you can save a lot monthly.

Everyone be warned though the prices are slowly going up as people cut the cord. HuluLive has twice this year though by like a dollar. Don't jump in willy nilly really break it down. I may not want to go back to Comcast but if they can guarantee me a better price for like 2 years we will consider it. Right now they can't.
                            Last edited by Handyman; 08-20-2019, 11:44 PM.
                            "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                            -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                            -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                            -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

TTF,

You can find free streams for anything...just know you get what you pay for. The quality usually is poor and there will be pop ups.
                              -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                                TTF,

You can find free streams for anything...just know you get what you pay for. The quality usually is poor and there will be pop ups.
                                This part is true. Never paid for a live stream of Brock UFC fights, had to search but it worked out.

Just for Gopher hockey season, I saved about $400 just by cutting the cord and going out for a burger and a beer (or two) for the games. Decided I liked sitting at home and listening to the radio even more. Any highlight was post within minutes on Twitter/equivalent, so no real loss.

That being said, if you want live, Vue is the way to go for value. I just haven't pulled the trigger yet.
                                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                                Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Working...
                                X