X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Syracuse Orange-It's time for a Coaching Change

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    Does William Smith get partial credit?
    I knew someone would bring that one up...

I can say, their pucks look nicer than Hobart's.
    Russell Jaslow
    [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
    U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
      I knew someone would bring that one up...

I can say, their pucks look nicer than Hobart's.
      Chatham only had a women's team until the men's program debuted in 2017-18...

Comment

Originally posted by Raider1 View Post
        After 11 years of leading the program, is it time for a change?
        It is nice that the program finally won the CHA, but unfortunately the team did not have a single win outside of the CHA...
        The team finished 13-22-3, how much longer will the school accept mediocrity with the investment they have made?
        While you may be correct in that an 0-11-2 non conference record doesn't really look like much on the surface, when we take the time to look a little deeper we see some very interesting facts that speak volumes about the character of this coach. Of those 13 non conference games, 10 were against nationally ranked teams and one was against a team that should have been ranked (but we all know how that works). I will not get into program bashing here , however , with that said, I think we could all come up with a non conference schedule for Syracuse (without naming names) where they could have been 11-1-1 or better in non conference play. Flanagan could have done that also but he didn't because in his own words "You don't get better by playing weak teams". By playing the schedule they played, by the end of this most recent season, they won their first ever conference championship, and held their own against the top team in the nation. I venture to say that , had they been 11-1-1 in non conference play , they would have been knocked out of the 1st round of the CHA Tournament .

Comment

Originally posted by cabguy View Post
          While you may be correct in that an 0-11-2 non conference record doesn't really look like much on the surface, when we take the time to look a little deeper we see some very interesting facts that speak volumes about the character of this coach. Of those 13 non conference games, 10 were against nationally ranked teams and one was against a team that should have been ranked (but we all know how that works). I will not get into program bashing here , however , with that said, I think we could all come up with a non conference schedule for Syracuse (without naming names) where they could have been 11-1-1 or better in non conference play. Flanagan could have done that also but he didn't because in his own words "You don't get better by playing weak teams". By playing the schedule they played, by the end of this most recent season, they won their first ever conference championship, and held their own against the top team in the nation. I venture to say that , had they been 11-1-1 in non conference play , they would have been knocked out of the 1st round of the CHA Tournament .
          aka-it's kind of weird isn't it calling for the coaches head after winning the conference tournament and going to the NCAA tourney for the first time?

Comment

I have read in the past the Syracuse's hockey budget is about $2.5 Million Dollars which is only behind Wisconsin slightly, it seems like by now the program should be further ahead, it looks like it has gone backwards?
            Other programs have changed their Coaches and it seems like it has energized the programs?
            IMHO, recruiting will always be the # 1 challenge for this program. They could go ahead and can the coach and replace him with the reincarnation of Hobey Baker, Mother Theresa or even the Virgin Mary and they would have no more recruiting success than the current coach because , at some point in the recruiting process, the recruit will make a school visit and get a good look at the glorified outhouse that S.U. calls a rink and , at that very point, it's game over. Syracuse University offers a top notch, world class education but, so do any number of other schools with a hellovalot nicer rinks. Why would any top recruit choose to play their collage hockey in an outhouse like Tennity , when they can get the same education and play in a cathedral like some other schools offer ? As long as S.U. plays it's home games in Tennity, the situation will not change much and changing coaches will not change the Rink.

Comment

The facts are the facts!! 13W-22L-3T in 2018/19 and 163W-185L-40T in 11 years. Look deeper and you see the team was 1-3 verses RIT who does not have scholarships, also lost to Vermont, St. Lawrence, and obviously a lot others. The point here is after 11 years, Syracuse should be further ahead, bottom line!

Comment

Changing coaches may not help. When you paly in such a weak conference and in a terrible building, its just tough to attract the best players

Comment

Robert Morris has been very successful with a rink that is just okay and not on campus. With the investment the school is making in the program after 11 years, I would assume the school would expect better results. If you feel the CHA is not that strong, why has it taken so long for the Cuse to finally win their first title? Syracuse is a well known school with a lot of majors which should help with recruiting, the bottom line is this coaching staff has not gotten it done... A new direction would give the program a boost...

Comment

Robert Morris has been very successful with a rink that is just okay and not on campus. With the investment the school is making in the program after 11 years, I would assume the school would expect better results. If you feel the CHA is not that strong, why has it taken so long for the Cuse to finally win their first title? Syracuse is a well known school with a lot of majors which should help with recruiting, the bottom line is this coaching staff has not gotten it done... A new direction would give the program a boost...
                    RMU has certainly had no more success than S.U. as evidenced by them not playing many top 10 teams which lead directly to their quite one sided loss to S.U. in the CHA Championship game. It is possible we simply have a bug up our butt over something we perceive the coach to have done ?

Comment

The facts are the facts!! 13W-22L-3T in 2018/19 and 163W-185L-40T in 11 years. I still feel like the school would expect more for the amount of dollars that are being committed to the program. I saw them play 2 games this year and was very underwhelmed by the way the team was coached, just thought the school would want and expect more... No motive or agenda...

Comment

The facts are the facts!! 13W-22L-3T in 2018/19 and 163W-185L-40T in 11 years. I still feel like the school would expect more for the amount of dollars that are being committed to the program. I saw them play 2 games this year and was very underwhelmed by the way the team was coached, just thought the school would want and expect more... No motive or agenda...
                        Considering you have about 5 posts, I'm going to venture a guess and say that you're unhappy with a personal decision made by the coach. Have you even looked at other Division 1 programs and their records? Not even half the programs have winning records. Let's fire all those coaches. It's pretty laughable that you're asking for the coach to be removed after they just made the NCAA tournament this season.

Comment

Monroe and Avery are gone. Small better be ready to set shot records next year. The rest of the roster, except maybe Eastwood, is pretty underwhelming. Just shows how weak the CHA is that this roster can win a championship.

Comment

Originally posted by dd17 View Post
                            Monroe and Avery are gone. Small better be ready to set shot records next year. The rest of the roster, except maybe Eastwood, is pretty underwhelming. Just shows how weak the CHA is that this roster can win a championship.
                            Penn State had wins against Providence, BU, Colgate and ties against Merrimack and Cornell, yet struggled mightily in the CHA. That should say something about the CHA.

As far as Syracuse, it was a terrible year except for when they played Penn State and in the CHA tournament and it appears that maybe enough.

Yale was the first coach to go.

Comment

It has taken "Cuse" so long to win a title because they have not nor are they currently very good. The league as a whole is the weakest of the 4. A couple of wins against top opponents is common throughout college hockey but winning consistently is the key. Like Pucko says, half of the NCAA doesn't even have winning records. As far as RMU, they received a couple of good players from the ND failure and their facility is much better than Syracuse.

Comment

Was at Syracuse recently for basketball game. Hurts to see the difference between carrier dome and rink. But they do use dome for more teams including lax.

Comment

Working...
                                X