Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 85

Thread: Usa hockey national tournament

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    110

    Usa hockey national tournament

    I believe the at-large bids for Nationals come out today. I have been following the 16's and 19's tournament for years since my neice played. will be interesting to see what happens with 16's. There are four strong teams from MA in the top 16.

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    110

    Re: Usa hockey national tournament

    so....i am a bit concerned that USA hockey won't give the bids to all 4 programs in MA, thinking that is a lot from one district...but went back and looked and in 2016, the ONLY time Minnesota participated in Nationals, they had 4 teams in the U19 divisions....so should not be a problem. Precedent already exists! If the ranking supports it should be a no brainer. (lowest MA team is ranked 14 and there are 3 Minnesota elite teams above them not playing so that puts them at 11). as long as the favorites win the tournaments they should all be in.

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    125
    Quote Originally Posted by MAHOCKEY FAN View Post
    so....i am a bit concerned that USA hockey won't give the bids to all 4 programs in MA, thinking that is a lot from one district...but went back and looked and in 2016, the ONLY time Minnesota participated in Nationals, they had 4 teams in the U19 divisions....so should not be a problem. Precedent already exists! If the ranking supports it should be a no brainer. (lowest MA team is ranked 14 and there are 3 Minnesota elite teams above them not playing so that puts them at 11). as long as the favorites win the tournaments they should all be in.
    Minnesota hosted girls tier 1 nationals in 2016 so that was a unique year.
    Minnesota teams participated last year too- the U14 champs were from Minnesota.

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    110

    Re: Usa hockey national tournament

    sorry....only looked through the 16s and 19s

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Fairbnks, AK
    Posts
    133

    Re: Usa hockey national tournament

    I would love to see the champions from each division try to play against any of the MN Elite Teams.

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    8

    Re: Usa hockey national tournament

    Quote Originally Posted by agfire View Post
    I would love to see the champions from each division try to play against any of the MN Elite Teams.
    What exactly do you mean by "try to play against any of the MN Elite teams"? Are you implying the MN teams are at another level?

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    9

    Re: Usa hockey national tournament

    Everything I am hearing says Minnesota Elite Grey will be in the 16U Nationals. Of the other teams in Nationals, they have already played Selects Academy (tie) and Shattuck (3 times, 1-1-1).

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    125
    Quote Originally Posted by agfire View Post
    I would love to see the champions from each division try to play against any of the MN Elite Teams.
    They lost to the mediocre Madison Capitols 2-1 in early March. Any idea if that game affected by the MN state tourney and maybe Elite Grey was missing players? If not....yikes

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    110

    Re: Usa hockey national tournament

    yikes....kind of a surprise...a flag showed up today for the Buffalo Regals 16 (meaning attending nationals). they are ranked 19th and did not win their district! https://myhockeyrankings.com/rank.php?y=2018&a=d&v=2002

    This may be a problem for getting the 14th ranked Assabet team or the 15th ranked Mid-Fairfield team. I think these rankings look at strength of schedule, so wonder whats up.....no other at-Large bids posted? just the one, kind of odd.

    Hope we don't have another Admission Scandal going on....

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Mass
    Posts
    145

    Re: Usa hockey national tournament

    Quote Originally Posted by MAHOCKEY FAN View Post
    yikes....kind of a surprise...a flag showed up today for the Buffalo Regals 16 (meaning attending nationals). they are ranked 19th and did not win their district! https://myhockeyrankings.com/rank.php?y=2018&a=d&v=2002

    This may be a problem for getting the 14th ranked Assabet team or the 15th ranked Mid-Fairfield team. I think these rankings look at strength of schedule, so wonder whats up.....no other at-Large bids posted? just the one, kind of odd.

    Hope we don't have another Admission Scandal going on....
    Has USA hockey totally lost it's mind? [obviously yes]....What ever happened to each District winner goes to Nationals, plus the host team? Was that really so complicated? Then again, these are the same idiots at USA hockey that did away with U12 nationals [too much fun, i suppose??]...or too competitive??? Riiiiiight....when they have the LL World Series on TV!!...and those are 11-12 yr olds playing [and having the time of their lives]

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Posts
    748

    Re: Usa hockey national tournament

    Quote Originally Posted by agfire View Post
    I would love to see the champions from each division try to play against any of the MN Elite Teams.
    How about looking at actual results.

    Jr. Whitecaps loaded up a U19 team with an entire team of D-1 recruits, including five going to the U, backed by the Wethington sisters. This team was much stronger than the multiple teams from the MN Elite League.

    Went 1-3-1 at NAHA over Labor Day, not even advancing out of their round robin bracket. I think there are other teams who can play with the MN girls.

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Rosemount, MN
    Posts
    2,788

    Re: Usa hockey national tournament

    Quote Originally Posted by Double Eagle View Post
    How about looking at actual results.

    Jr. Whitecaps loaded up a U19 team with an entire team of D-1 recruits, including five going to the U, backed by the Wethington sisters. This team was much stronger than the multiple teams from the MN Elite League.

    Went 1-3-1 at NAHA over Labor Day, not even advancing out of their round robin bracket. I think there are other teams who can play with the MN girls.
    From more of a scouting point of view, the current senior class of Minnesota girls has has some very good talent but not as much elite level talent as in the past couple of years by comparison so the NAHA tournament results are not that surprising.
    I could give up pizza but I don't want to be considered a quitter.

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    49

    Re: Usa hockey national tournament

    Quote Originally Posted by Double Eagle View Post
    How about looking at actual results.

    Jr. Whitecaps loaded up a U19 team with an entire team of D-1 recruits, including five going to the U, backed by the Wethington sisters. This team was much stronger than the multiple teams from the MN Elite League.

    Went 1-3-1 at NAHA over Labor Day, not even advancing out of their round robin bracket. I think there are other teams who can play with the MN girls.
    They were still missing at least 5 key players on that squad. Elite teams still split talent evenly usually throughout 3 teams. If they truly consolidated one or even 2 with the best they would be really really good. Also to note, the Elite league teams almost never have a full squad.

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    49

    Re: Usa hockey national tournament

    Quote Originally Posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
    From more of a scouting point of view, the current senior class of Minnesota girls has has some very good talent but not as much elite level talent as in the past couple of years by comparison so the NAHA tournament results are not that surprising.
    Correct, last couple classes had Elite Size and scoring ability however this class seems to have Elite speed and play-making ability. Many seem to have very good 2 way game also. Will be interesting how these new fast play-makers mesh with the Elite big goal scorers on their prospective D1 teams?

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    110

    Re: Usa hockey national tournament

    there are 12 districts. 1 district has no teams registered. (I believe this is the North Dakota district in the u16 division). Therefore 11 district winners potentially 1 host team (they only get slots for 2 age groups). That means 4 or 5 at large bids....
    11 of the 47 teams that are in the Tier 1 rankingsare from Massachusetts.. that means they take their money....they should allow the top 4-5 teams that don't win the district to have at large bids....

    so far only 1 team shows up as getting an at-large bid (Buffalo Regals) and they are ranked 19th! with 5 teams above them not winning their district. The Selects won NY! Someone is gonna be ****ed.


    Edit: hearing rumor no Assabet. Makes no sense. 23% of tier1 is Massachusetts. If they earn 4 spots they should get it. Waiting for confirmation.
    Last edited by MAHOCKEY FAN; 03-21-2019 at 06:55 PM.

  16. #16
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Rochester, NY USA
    Posts
    5,717

    Re: Usa hockey national tournament

    Quote Originally Posted by MAHOCKEY FAN View Post
    The Selects won NY!
    Yeah, with only five NYS players. But, don't get me started...
    Russell Jaslow
    [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
    U.S. College Hockey Online

  17. #17
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    125
    Quote Originally Posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
    Yeah, with only five NYS players. But, don't get me started...
    Itís no accident that Selects Academy is based in NY. NY state is itís own district so thereís no need to play for a regional championship. And NY isnít typically a very competitive state- compared to the other single state districts like MN, MA & MI. If Selects were in any of those states or another district like Central or NE they wouldnít be a shoe in for nationals. Like it or not they will dominate NY state championships for the foreseeable future. Is it fair that a boarding school with players from all over the US, Canada & Europe qualifies for a state/district & national tourney? No, but those are the rules. Just like with SSM. KP did her homework.

  18. #18
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    16
    What about the rumors that Selects may be folding...

  19. #19
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Rochester, NY USA
    Posts
    5,717

    Re: Usa hockey national tournament

    Quote Originally Posted by Sieve1 View Post
    Is it fair that a boarding school with players from all over the US, Canada & Europe qualifies for a state/district & national tourney? No, but those are the rules. Just like with SSM. KP did her homework.
    This is my issue. Boarding schools, no matter where they are located, like Selects, SSM, Northwood Prep, in now way should be allowed in these tournaments. It's ludicrous on so many levels. Why aren't all prep schools allowed in? What happens if one of these teams recruited all Canadians? Or, if they recruited the top 20 players in the entire country -- heck, allow the national team in then. It's a playing field that isn't even close to being at 90 degrees, never mind level.

    See what you did, you got me going...
    Russell Jaslow
    [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
    U.S. College Hockey Online

  20. #20
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    9

    Re: Usa hockey national tournament

    USA Hockey rules limit imports to 2 per team. So you can't fill a team with Canadians, etc. Selects 16s have 1 Canadian and 1 German. The 19s have 2 Canadians. The split season New Englad teams have girls from all over as well. They are not all that much different than SSM, Selects, Northwood, etc. It is just the way it is.

    Selects folding??? Funny. Couldn't be further from the truth.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •