Michigan Tech Huskies Off-Season 2019: The Quest to Get Hard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech Huskies Off-Season 2019: The Quest to Get Hard

As conversations went on at the end of the season on the JSH regarding the"entitlement menality" I, as stated a while ago, thought the player feeling entitled was a senior. Do others think Gavin may have been the one? If so, I think he had a ton of "money in the bank" and was entitled to a little more. He helped lead the team to back to back WCHA Championships and NCAA appearances. He was not just a role player on these teams, he was a leader.
    We'll probably never know exactly what happened this past season but barring a total mutiny by him I believe he deserved better. Obviously my opinion without knowing any of the facts.

Comment

• Originally posted by Checkmate View Post
      I am 100% certain that the other teams in the league are happy Gavin is gone.
      Yep. I looked at Gould as Tech’s version of Brandon Kruse. Hope he lands on his skates.

Comment

I feel bad for Malcolm and the rest of the family. Has to leave a bad taste in their mouths after Malcolm's success at MTU.
        Last edited by rustedblades; 04-27-2019, 08:44 PM.

Comment

What's done is done. We'll see who was right in about two more seasons. Either Joe gets them back to a top 2-3 spot in the league by then, or he might very well be out the door himself. After everything that's transpired in the past 5 years, there's no more pussyfooting around with head coaches in Houghton.

Comment

Agreed. Gould was out of position a lot and played more of a pond hockey type of game. Since he was out of position, when it came time for that position to do something we had a turnover. I liked his skill and i'm sorry he's gone. I also hope we can do a better job recruiting. I think that part of our game needs to improve, but also, under tmel the last year or two were not all that good either.
            MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
              Agreed. Gould was out of position a lot and played more of a pond hockey type of game. Since he was out of position, when it came time for that position to do something we had a turnover. I liked his skill and i'm sorry he's gone. I also hope we can do a better job recruiting. I think that part of our game needs to improve, but also, under tmel the last year or two were not all that good either.
              Gould was not the same player this past season that he was the seasons before that, for whatever reason. My gut feeling has been that the game against ND where he got the bloody snot knocked out of him was still rattlin' around in his mind.. he seemed to be playing to avoid contact a lot of the time.

As to recruiting I agree, it will need to get better. But I do think that last season's class one of the best we've had in years. And with Bantle having a Neutral Zone ranking of 4.25 stars, that being the highest Neutral Zone ranking a recruit of ours has had in awhile, Joe has something to build on.. the question will be do these guys develop into the potential they've shown. Only time will tell. And that time will determine Joe's fate as HC

Comment

That's because Mel was stockpiling verbals with the intent of plucking his favorite guys out of the pool once he was safely ensconced back in Ann Arbor. It's patently obvious now, looking back at it.

I think Joe's emphasis seems to be on recruiting bigger players, some with higher hockey skill than others. Isn't Bantle already something like 6'3"/200lb at age 17?

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                  That's because Mel was stockpiling verbals with the intent of plucking his favorite guys out of the pool once he was safely ensconced back in Ann Arbor. It's patently obvious now, looking back at it.
                  Eh, I don't buy that he recruited players to Michigan Tech with a view towards filling out another team's roster later. But stockpiling with the expectation that he'll later have to make some unpleasant phone calls, yeah, I think that's Marv's modus operandi.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                    I think Joe's emphasis seems to be on recruiting bigger players, some with higher hockey skill than others. Isn't Bantle already something like 6'3"/200lb at age 17?
                    Close enough

Bantle (F) - 6'3" 192

Chris Lipe (D) - 6'1" 190

Parker Sartesky (F) - 6' 170

Bendan Datema (D) - 6'4" 216

Logan Ganie (F) 5'10" 194

Jake Crespi (F) 6'1" 195

Logan Pietila (F) 5'10" 182

with room to grow once they get on campus

Comment

Originally posted by The Troll mtu86 View Post
                      Close enough

Bantle (F) - 6'3" 192

Chris Lipe (D) - 6'1" 190

Parker Sartesky (F) - 6' 170

Bendan Datema (D) - 6'4" 216

Logan Ganie (F) 5'10" 194

Jake Crespi (F) 6'1" 195

Logan Pietila (F) 5'10" 182

with room to grow once they get on campus
                      Going back to the mid 70's I seem to remember the MacInnes teams were big, fast and hard nosed.
                      MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Going back to the mid 70's I seem to remember the MacInnes teams were big, fast and hard nosed.
                        big, fast , and hard nosed will win championships. No doubt we'll be big and hard nosed. We'll have to wait and see about the fast.

Comment

Originally posted by redwing61 View Post
                          Players who have the complete package of skill, speed, work ethic and character are being recruited by every program. If you don't win your recruiting battles you have to take players who are not the complete package, so what is Joe inclined to sacrifice? It looks like the answer is skill, given his endless praise for Ray Brice and TJ Polglaze, coupled with his past criticism of Alex Petan and the apparent departure of Gavin Gould.

I don't think you can win with a team full of Brices and Polglazes, but we have some players and recruits who do seem to be more of a complete package. Guess we'll have a better idea how well it's working out when this past season's freshmen are seniors.
                          I believe the reason Joe likes Brices and Polglazes are their grit and their willingness to do what is asked on the ice (assume off ice as well). During a JSH, Joe said the main reason TJ was in the line-up was his PK ability not his offensive ability. Joe was willing to take that trade-off. Joe also said Brice does what is asked by him and the staff. During the early season they were not Joe's first choice. They were the guys who were most effective and beat out other players for those rolls.

Good luck Gavin. Thank you for your contributions.

Comment

I was curious enough to see if they had updated the roster page, but GG was still listed. However the team photo now has three goalies. Not sure when that changed, but I know Munson was in the team photo they took at the start of the season. Maybe they did another one at the end of the year?
                            Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                            https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                            Originally posted by geezer
                            Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                            Originally posted by manurespreader
                            ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by rustedblades View Post
                              I am relatively certain that Gavin Gould is no longer a Husky.
                              If this is true, I am very sorry to hear it.
                              Originally posted by mtu_huskies
                              "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
                              Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
                              Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

When is the next JSH?

Comment

Working...
                                X