Michigan Tech Huskies Off-Season 2019: The Quest to Get Hard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech Huskies Off-Season 2019: The Quest to Get Hard

Brad Stebner has also made it big, Emergency Medical Resident in Kelowna.

Love to see the college hockey guys make it big outside the game as well!

Comment

• Originally posted by Lost_Husky View Post
      Yes.

From a program prospective with the proposed rule, a new recruit (no penalty)> transfer (first year ineligible)>> grad transfer (2nd year loss of player and scholarship). If I were a coach, I would much rather take a transfer that has to sit out a year, but can still practice than a kid who can play right away and lose a scholarship for the next season. This makes grad transfers undesirable.

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/...fer-division-i

Above is a report from the NCAA about grad transfers. They are worried about "...534 graduate transfers identified in the 2017 Division I academic performance data out of nearly 110,000 Division I student-athletes, which equates to just under one-half of 1 percent."

Apparently you've failed to notice that the NCAA is almost NEVER about the best interest of the players.

Comment

• Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
        Apparently you've failed to notice that the NCAA is almost NEVER about the best interest of the players.
        All about the Benjamins.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
          All about the Benjamins.
          Yep. This is why I like Tech hockey so much. The staff from the AD on down really look out for the welfare of the players. That is not true at many other places. Especially in the east.
          MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Next JSH show?

Comment

Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
              Nope, the NCAA is about $$. They view student athletes as cogs in its wheel. Why should we expect the National Collegiate Athletic Association to care about the collegiate athlete? Why should we expect them to care about punishing programs that have low graduation rates and poor academic performance? Why should they support student athletes who graduated with a "4 year" degree and decide to pursue a masters/doctorate and use the rest of their eligibility?

Oh wait! The NCAA doesn't care about student athletes and only cares about $$, programs that generate $$, and accommodating "amateur" athletes who can generate $$.

As stated, that is why I like Tech. They seem to care about students.

Comment

We have a new commitment for this fall: Logan Ganie, a point-per-game forward for Spruce Grove (AJHL) who turns 20 this summer.

http://www.sprucegrovesaints.ca/medi...2019&nID=15390

Comment

Originally posted by redwing61 View Post
                  We have a new commitment for this fall: Logan Ganie, a point-per-game forward for Spruce Grove (AJHL) who turns 20 this summer.

http://www.sprucegrovesaints.ca/medi...2019&nID=15390
                  Sounds like a perfect fit.

Comment

I am relatively certain that Gavin Gould is no longer a Husky.

Comment

Originally posted by rustedblades View Post
                      I am relatively not surprised, and I can't say I'm happy with the way things went with him this past season.

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                        I am relatively not surprised.
                        I am disappointed. I loved his game.

Comment

I am disappointed. I loved his game.
                          Yes, I agree. It was obvious he was not a fit for what Joe is trying to do, which sucks, but it's college sports.

Comment

Gould is the player I heard was not coming back.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                              Yes, I agree. It was obvious he was not a fit for what Joe is trying to do, which sucks, but it's college sports.
                              Can anyone explain what Joe is trying to do, please, doesn't make sense to me. I liked Gould's game too. But I would like an answer if someone has an idea. Change the "culture"?...... You mean the one that went to the NCAA three years in a row? I am 100% certain that the other teams in the league are happy Gavin is gone. Total Bummer. (that is an understatement) Hard to find hockey players like Gavin. SMH.

Comment

Originally posted by Checkmate View Post
                                Can anyone explain what Joe is trying to do, please, doesn't make sense to me.
                                Players who have the complete package of skill, speed, work ethic and character are being recruited by every program. If you don't win your recruiting battles you have to take players who are not the complete package, so what is Joe inclined to sacrifice? It looks like the answer is skill, given his endless praise for Ray Brice and TJ Polglaze, coupled with his past criticism of Alex Petan and the apparent departure of Gavin Gould.

I don't think you can win with a team full of Brices and Polglazes, but we have some players and recruits who do seem to be more of a complete package. Guess we'll have a better idea how well it's working out when this past season's freshmen are seniors.

Comment

Working...
                                X