Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Michigan Tech Huskies Off-Season 2019: The Quest to Get Hard

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
    No but I ask you, how many top programs, say Qpac or any other top small school program loses players. We lost a goalie last year and now another player. So as a program you have to review what you are doing and how you are doing it because you don't want it to be your fault a play doesn't feel welcome.
    Also if there are so many top players available like US college hockey keeps saying, how come schools steal the players of other schools like this.? IMHO, This kind of thing is the result of constant phone calls from agents and other teams who seem to think this is ok. I understand sometimes a player is not a good fit, but it seems like we have too many of those and it's odd that its never one of the more average players.
    Players transfer/leave programs frequently. Tech has been lucky that we have had relatively low roster churn recently.

Joe and staff have a style they want to play. Player(s) have a style they want to play. Credit both coaches and players on not quitting on each other during the season. The offseason is a time when kids/coaches should evaluate their relationship and if both are meeting their needs. Coaches have expectations, as this is their job. Players have personal goals as many consider this their professional career.

No matter what happens, I hope all involved are happy with decisions that are made and don't harbor ill will.

Personally I don't consider Packy part of this discussion. Per the JSH, there was a style/personality clash between he, Joe, and the team. Joe and team set rules for Packy to follow and it didn't happen. There is a reason he was playing hockey in the UK.

Comment

Originally posted by Lost_Husky View Post
      Personally I don't consider Packy part of this discussion. Per the JSH, there was a style/personality clash between he, Joe, and the team. Joe and team set rules for Packy to follow and it didn't happen. There is a reason he was playing hockey in the UK.
      I only mentioned him because he's an example of transferring twice over. Sounds like he's where he made a bed.

GFM
      Geof F. Morris
      UAH BSE MAE 2002
      UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
        It seems like there's always a handful of guys who are in the 19-yo range that bail on school after a semester and drop back to the USHL to play as an overage player until they can re-enroll at another school without penalty. I believe that Packy did that when he left UVM.
        GFM
        Munson actually went directly to DU after Vermont but never played in a game that season because he was a transfer. So as a result he could play immediately for Tech when he arrived on campus. The benefit Packy got was that he earned a national championship ring while "sitting out".
        Ryan
        Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
        https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
        Originally posted by geezer
        Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
        Originally posted by manurespreader
        ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Players transfer/leave programs frequently. Tech has been lucky that we have had relatively low roster churn recently.

Joe and staff have a style they want to play. Player(s) have a style they want to play. Credit both coaches and players on not quitting on each other during the season. The offseason is a time when kids/coaches should evaluate their relationship and if both are meeting their needs. Coaches have expectations, as this is their job. Players have personal goals as many consider this their professional career.

No matter what happens, I hope all involved are happy with decisions that are made and don't harbor ill will.

And a reason Tech was his 3rd program...
          "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
            And a reason Tech was his 3rd program...
            I'll give Packy the benefit of the doubt. Maybe Vermont and him weren't a fit. He was penciled in as Denver's starting goalie for the 2017-2018 season, until Tanner Jaillet returned. Then he went looking for playing time.

Any word on when said rumor will be made public, if ever?

Has Jake Jackson signed a pro deal, or was his injury bad enough he is going to need a year to recover?

Comment

Read the other day on an NCAA proposal to try and cut down on the number of Graduate Transfers that are occurring in Basketball and Football, and wondering if it would carry over into hockey. Basically, if a team took a Grad Transfer on, it would count against the team's scholarship limit for two years, even though the transfer will most likely have one year of eligibility, unless said transfer got their graduate degree. The NCAA has heard concerns from some schools that the grad transfer rule has basically become a free agency process for the big boys.

Interesting thought, I kind of like it.
              Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
              FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
              NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
              NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
              NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
              NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
              Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
              Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

Originally posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post
                Read the other day on an NCAA proposal to try and cut down on the number of Graduate Transfers that are occurring in Basketball and Football, and wondering if it would carry over into hockey. Basically, if a team took a Grad Transfer on, it would count against the team's scholarship limit for two years, even though the transfer will most likely have one year of eligibility, unless said transfer got their graduate degree. The NCAA has heard concerns from some schools that the grad transfer rule has basically become a free agency process for the big boys.

Interesting thought, I kind of like it.
                I like the current Grad Transfer format. Student Athletes who complete their degrees should be rewarded, not punished. Isn't the goal to graduate kids? If they have a year of eligibility, want to pursue a graduate degree, and play their sport, they should be allowed to, no strings attached.

Most Grad Transfers typically aren't sought after by the professional ranks. They are too old and/or have a limited ceiling. Let them have their year of playing and don't punish them. In hockey it hasn't upset the competitive balance. One could also argue it hasn't upset the balance of power in basketball or football either. In following U of MI, their grad transfers rarely go on to have a huge impact. They have a modest impact and are borderline starters/stop gap options for teams. They rarely push the team they go to into the next tier.

Comment

I like the current Grad Transfer format. Student Athletes who complete their degrees should be rewarded, not punished. Isn't the goal to graduate kids? If they have a year of eligibility, want to pursue a graduate degree, and play their sport, they should be allowed to, no strings attached.

Most Grad Transfers typically aren't sought after by the professional ranks. They are too old and/or have a limited ceiling. Let them have their year of playing and don't punish them. In hockey it hasn't upset the competitive balance. One could also argue it hasn't upset the balance of power in basketball or football either. In following U of MI, their grad transfers rarely go on to have a huge impact. They have a modest impact and are borderline starters/stop gap options for teams. They rarely push the team they go to into the next tier.
                  This rule tweak does nothing to punish the player. He still gets to play his extra year.

Comment

Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
                    This rule tweak does nothing to punish the player. He still gets to play his extra year.
                    It does punish the player as it artificially increases their scholarship time. With a standard transfer, they have a one year sit out penalty, but get to practice with the team. With the proposed grad transfer rule, said player could come in and play, but the team would take a scholarship loss the next year.

If you were a coach and knew you could get an average to above average player on your team for one year, but have to give up a scholarship spot for next year, would you be willing to pay that price? My answer would be no nine times out of ten. It is a short term solution with a price that hurts your future. That is an unfair cost/punishment on a grad transfer.

Comment

• Re: Michigan Tech Huskies Off-Season 2019: The Quest to Get Hard

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                      Munson actually went directly to DU after Vermont but never played in a game that season because he was a transfer. So as a result he could play immediately for Tech when he arrived on campus. The benefit Packy got was that he earned a national championship ring while "sitting out".
                      Ryan
                      Thanks for the correction. I didn't find anything quickly in looking about how he went to DU.

GFM
                      Geof F. Morris
                      UAH BSE MAE 2002
                      UAHHockey.com

Comment

It does punish the player as it artificially increases their scholarship time. With a standard transfer, they have a one year sit out penalty, but get to practice with the team. With the proposed grad transfer rule, said player could come in and play, but the team would take a scholarship loss the next year.

If you were a coach and knew you could get an average to above average player on your team for one year, but have to give up a scholarship spot for next year, would you be willing to pay that price? My answer would be no nine times out of ten. It is a short term solution with a price that hurts your future. That is an unfair cost/punishment on a grad transfer.
                        All the drawbacks you listed are for the program, not the individual. How does increasing scholarship time 'hurt' a player?

Comment

Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
                          All the drawbacks you listed are for the program, not the individual. How does increasing scholarship time 'hurt' a player?
                          I would presume that his inference is that this would inhibit schools' willingness to take on graduate transfers, limiting opportunities for these young men.

GFM
                          Geof F. Morris
                          UAH BSE MAE 2002
                          UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                            I would presume that his inference is that this would inhibit schools' willingness to take on graduate transfers, limiting opportunities for these young men.

GFM
                            Yes.

From a program prospective with the proposed rule, a new recruit (no penalty)> transfer (first year ineligible)>> grad transfer (2nd year loss of player and scholarship). If I were a coach, I would much rather take a transfer that has to sit out a year, but can still practice than a kid who can play right away and lose a scholarship for the next season. This makes grad transfers undesirable.

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/...fer-division-i

Above is a report from the NCAA about grad transfers. They are worried about "...534 graduate transfers identified in the 2017 Division I academic performance data out of nearly 110,000 Division I student-athletes, which equates to just under one-half of 1 percent."

Comment

This seems like a solution in search of a problem.

GFM
                              Geof F. Morris
                              UAH BSE MAE 2002
                              UAHHockey.com

Comment

A brief update from the "Where Are They Now?" files:

Eli Vlaisavljevich is an assistant professor in the Department of Biomedical Engineering and Mechanics at Virginia Tech.

https://beam.vt.edu/people/faculty/vlaisavljevich.html

Comment

Working...
                                X