Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Michigan Tech Huskies Off-Season 2019: The Quest to Get Hard

stuck below the bridge

Re: Michigan Tech Huskies Off-Season 2019: The Quest to Get Hard

Quote Originally Posted by rustedblades View Post
    Same with Erkilla; his parents are both from the area and also have a lot of family in the area.
    I knew his parents were from up there. Used to see her around and had some chats. I have a good friend who grew up in Hancock, turns out that back in the day she had worked with his Dad. Small world.

Either one would put butts in seats and both have the skills to play D1. Hope it's for Tech.
    Last edited by The Troll mtu86; 06-06-2019 at 06:23 PM.

Old Dirty Basterd Shirtless Guy's Avatar

So I have been slacking in my recruiting responsibilities, there are 7 recruits I still need to write about. Who do you want to hear about first? Iím thinking Iíll brake it up into 3-4 articles. Maybe the incoming class with extra focus on the 3 I havenít written about: Ganie, Datema, Lipe

Richartz, Nordstrom

Bangle, VanCompernolle

Still upright

Quote Originally Posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
    So I have been slacking in my recruiting responsibilities, there are 7 recruits I still need to write about. Who do you want to hear about first? I’m thinking I’ll brake it up into 3-4 articles. Maybe the incoming class with extra focus on the 3 I haven’t written about: Ganie, Datema, Lipe

Richartz, Nordstrom

Bangle, VanCompernolle
    Sounds great. Thanks for doing it. I wonder if our incoming players can adjust fast enough to make a difference early in the year.
    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Brian Halonen is attending the Dallas Stars Development Camp. Has anyone heard of any other players attending NHL camps?

Blues will be coming to the Calumet Coliseum to play a pre season game as a result of Calumet winning Hockeytown USA.
    Quote Originally Posted by mtu_huskies
    "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
    Boosh Factor 4

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Hoven
    Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Mighty Techster
    Brian Halonen is attending the Dallas Stars Development Camp.
    Scott White strikes again!

Still upright

Not strictly hockey but if you get the chance go see this.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fqeg8l1uipk
    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

It is expected the Tech D will continue to improve and build on a successful season last year.
    Looks to me like all 10 will see some playing time and contribute this season. Not sure of the pairs they will go with next season as they have the left handed LD, right handed RD possible for next year. Will Meek and Swoyer grow and provide offense. Seems to me Donohue and Gotz are sure things.

1 Donohue ?
    2 ? Gotz
    3 ? ?

Meek
    Swoyer
    Rockwell
    Watson
    Buckley
    Lipe
    Datema
    Kiilunen

Quote Originally Posted by Huskiefan906 View Post
    It is expected the Tech D will continue to improve and build on a successful season last year.
    Looks to me like all 10 will see some playing time and contribute this season. Not sure of the pairs they will go with next season as they have the left handed LD, right handed RD possible for next year. Will Meek and Swoyer grow and provide offense. Seems to me Donohue and Gotz are sure things.

1 Donohue ?
    2 ? Gotz
    3 ? ?

Meek
    Swoyer
    Rockwell
    Watson
    Buckley
    Lipe
    Datema
    Kiilunen
    Didn't Donohue pair with Rockwell last year? If so, I don't see why they would break that pairing up, unless they want Rockwell to be the "lead" defended on a pair. Klilunen could get consistent playing time either pairing with Gotz on the 2nd line or on the 3rd line with a developing D. Given what Joe has said about Klilunen and age of our D-corp, it isn't a stretch for him to fill that roll, especially early in the season.

My gut says, Joe will go game by game pairing for the 2nd and 3rd lines. (Size/strength vs BGSU/Clarkson and puck handling/speed vs MnSU.) That assumes the remaining D are overall about equal and practicing at a high level.

Really??!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lost_Husky View Post
    Didn't Donohue pair with Rockwell last year? If so, I don't see why they would break that pairing up, unless they want Rockwell to be the "lead" defended on a pair. Klilunen could get consistent playing time either pairing with Gotz on the 2nd line or on the 3rd line with a developing D. Given what Joe has said about Klilunen and age of our D-corp, it isn't a stretch for him to fill that roll, especially early in the season.

My gut says, Joe will go game by game pairing for the 2nd and 3rd lines. (Size/strength vs BGSU/Clarkson and puck handling/speed vs MnSU.) That assumes the remaining D are overall about equal and practicing at a high level.
    So is this the year we see the team really take Joe's approach to heart? Enough of his players? Still too young?

Quote Originally Posted by giwan View Post
    So is this the year we see the team really take Joe's approach to heart? Enough of his players? Still too young?
    If that doesn't happen this year after the roster changes this off-season, I think you have to take a very hard look at the situation. That said, I love Joe as our coach and expect this year to be a big step up.
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits...Posted by Yager on 12/18/09: Remember, remember, the 18th of October (2003).

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Quote Originally Posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
    ....I think you have to take a very hard look at the situation.
    Meaning? Coaching situation? That's the way I interpret what you are saying, but not sure that is what you are implying.

Meaning? Coaching situation? That's the way I interpret what you are saying, but not sure that is what you are implying.
    Losing 3 guys two years after a coaching change is not normal and that tells me that Joe trusts the remaining guys to play the way he wants and buy into his system. If that doesn't happen this year (and by that I mean top-4 finish and continued improvement...hopefully competing well into February for WCHA title) you have to evaluate the situation and consider that Joe's style just might not work with college athletes in 2019. I don't think thats the case but its hard not to look at it that way. They will be "young" yet and everything but this isn't an extremely challenging league from a depth perspective so there really aren't any excuses for not improving on last year.
    Last edited by Shirtless Guy; 06-17-2019 at 12:41 PM.
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits...Posted by Yager on 12/18/09: Remember, remember, the 18th of October (2003).

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Really??!!

I'm wondering whether losing the 3 guys shakes others up to step up, whether it cleans house, or is there resentment

Quote Originally Posted by giwan View Post
    I'm wondering whether losing the 3 guys shakes others up to step up, whether it cleans house, or is there resentment
    Time will tell. Personally I would think losing Gould may leave a little resentment in the eyes of the new seniors & juniors but who knows. Maybe he did feel entitled and the remaining guys were glad to see him go???

It should definitely shake up the freshman moving to sophomore status. My way or the highway boys!

Yes, was not sure if Rockwell will move to LD with the equal amount of left handed and right handed options.

I agree, it will be pair by pair by game based on opponent.

Too far from Houghton to be at the Mac for every game

Quote Originally Posted by Huskiefan906 View Post
    I agree, it will be pair by pair by game based on opponent.
    That would be nice if it doesn't screw them up too much to not have a regular partner.

And/or not dressing for every game. That seemed to be a source of the problems in the dressing room last year.

The young kids will be asked to grow up quickly (mentally as well as physically), I hope they will be able to.

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm ready for the puck to drop in October!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MTUHuskies View Post
    I don't know about anyone else, but I'm ready for the puck to drop in October!
    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    We've had our two days of summer, let's get on with hockey!!
    Quote Originally Posted by mtu_huskies
    "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
    Boosh Factor 4

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Hoven
    Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

I am so sorry for your loss Tech fans.

Has Anger Issues FadeToBlack&Gold's Avatar

What the hell? That's random. Must've been some kind of freak accident.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

Thread Information