Page 24 of 29 FirstFirst ... 14151617181920212223242526272829 LastLast
Results 461 to 480 of 570

Thread: Michigan Tech Huskies Off-Season 2019: The Quest to Get Hard

  1. #461
    beaverhockeyfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Garfield and Bemidji State, MN
    Posts
    4,109

    Re: Michigan Tech Huskies Off-Season 2019: The Quest to Get Hard

    Quote Originally Posted by MTUHuskies View Post
    NCAA requirements aside, I think UST will need a sizable gift to build a DI rink, preferably on, or close to campus. I don't know where they would find the real estate. IMHO the STA rink won't cut it.
    Funding won't be a problem, I think there are some deep pockets in the St. Thomas alumni and booster base. But you are correct, land will be an issue. I have seen rumors of two ideas (not sure how much traction they have): 1. The university buys up some houses near campus, bulldozes them and puts up a rink. 2. They work out a deal with the Minnesota State Fair Board to renovate/rejuvenate the Warner Coliseum at the Fairgrounds.
    Millsy

    NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
    FROZEN FOUR 2009!


    "Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

    BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
    NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
    NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
    NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
    NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
    Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
    Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

  2. #462
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Marquette, MI
    Posts
    6,703
    Quote Originally Posted by geezer View Post
    Brandon, congratulations! This is a pretty cool honor for the publisher of Tech Hockey Guide.
    Congrats Brandon! You’re work is greatly appreciated by those of us that us big city transit!

    And THG continues to be one of the best info sources in college hockey!
    Last edited by davyd83; 09-20-2019 at 01:24 PM.

  3. #463
    Has Anger Issues FadeToBlack&Gold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    A Headshrinker's Office
    Posts
    32,893

    Re: Michigan Tech Huskies Off-Season 2019: The Quest to Get Hard

    Quote Originally Posted by geezer View Post
    Brandon, congratulations! This is a pretty cool honor for the publisher of Tech Hockey Guide.
    Not bad for a dork.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

  4. #464
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Hockey Dead Zone
    Posts
    224

    Re: Michigan Tech Huskies Off-Season 2019: The Quest to Get Hard

    Quote Originally Posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post
    Funding won't be a problem, I think there are some deep pockets in the St. Thomas alumni and booster base. But you are correct, land will be an issue. I have seen rumors of two ideas (not sure how much traction they have): 1. The university buys up some houses near campus, bulldozes them and puts up a rink. 2. They work out a deal with the Minnesota State Fair Board to renovate/rejuvenate the Warner Coliseum at the Fairgrounds.
    That would be a great geographical fit and in interesting cultural fit.

    LOL A livestock barn as the ice rink. Ok, "multi-use" building.

    If it is viable, it is a reasonable location given their environment. Great parking, accessible, close to campus, potentially huge capital cost cost savings, project delivery logistics savings, local PR capital savings,...

  5. #465
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Too far from Houghton to be at the Mac for every game
    Posts
    714

    Re: Michigan Tech Huskies Off-Season 2019: The Quest to Get Hard

    Quote Originally Posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post
    Funding won't be a problem, I think there are some deep pockets in the St. Thomas alumni and booster base. But you are correct, land will be an issue. I have seen rumors of two ideas (not sure how much traction they have): 1. The university buys up some houses near campus, bulldozes them and puts up a rink. 2. They work out a deal with the Minnesota State Fair Board to renovate/rejuvenate the Warner Coliseum at the Fairgrounds.
    To preface this comment, I realize there is a big difference between D-III and D-I and if the building could be renovated to a suitable D-I facility we are really dealing with apples and oranges.

    From my experience with UST (then CST) in the late 80s, there was very little support for the hockey team at the Fairgrounds. The vibe on campus was that it was too far to go to watch a game in a bad hockey venue. I no longer live in St. Paul and I am not familiar with the current attitude on campus toward going to Mendota Heights for a game. With a 1400 capacity, I find it hard to believe they get a strong student following.

    Going D-I will definitely draw more interest from the non-student fans, but how much? The twin cities are Yellow Rodent country and I don't see the Tommies taking a very big bite out of that pie. (Just look at the attendance at Mariucci last year, with how fair-weather MN sports fans are the Tommies would have to be Frozen Four contenders to get any interest.)

    As for the building reno, please explain to me how you would have a building suitable for both D-I hockey and the State Fair livestock/horse uses?

    I'd love to see the Tommies go D-I but I see a bunch of major hurdles that won't be cleared by just having wealthy alumni.

    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

  6. #466
    Old Dirty Basterd Shirtless Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    16,926

    Re: Michigan Tech Huskies Off-Season 2019: The Quest to Get Hard

    Quote Originally Posted by MTUHuskies View Post
    To preface this comment, I realize there is a big difference between D-III and D-I and if the building could be renovated to a suitable D-I facility we are really dealing with apples and oranges.

    From my experience with UST (then CST) in the late 80s, there was very little support for the hockey team at the Fairgrounds. The vibe on campus was that it was too far to go to watch a game in a bad hockey venue. I no longer live in St. Paul and I am not familiar with the current attitude on campus toward going to Mendota Heights for a game. With a 1400 capacity, I find it hard to believe they get a strong student following.

    Going D-I will definitely draw more interest from the non-student fans, but how much? The twin cities are Yellow Rodent country and I don't see the Tommies taking a very big bite out of that pie. (Just look at the attendance at Mariucci last year, with how fair-weather MN sports fans are the Tommies would have to be Frozen Four contenders to get any interest.)

    As for the building reno, please explain to me how you would have a building suitable for both D-I hockey and the State Fair livestock/horse uses?

    I'd love to see the Tommies go D-I but I see a bunch of major hurdles that won't be cleared by just having wealthy alumni.

    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    I think St Thomas would do just fine because they won't be charging Gopher prices and if they can be good, they'll be fun to watch for a cheap ticket depending on where they end up playing...
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits...Posted by Yager on 12/18/09: Remember, remember, the 18th of October (2003).

    Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

  7. #467
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Calumet, MI
    Posts
    89

    Re: Michigan Tech Huskies Off-Season 2019: The Quest to Get Hard

    hmm...

    how about MSOE or maybe even adrian?

  8. #468
    Old Dirty Basterd Shirtless Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    16,926

    Re: Michigan Tech Huskies Off-Season 2019: The Quest to Get Hard

    Quote Originally Posted by DrunkTrainPolka View Post
    hmm...

    how about MSOE or maybe even adrian?
    the reason St Thomas gets mentioned is because they were just booted from their D3 conference for basically being too good...so now that they've been pushed, they might just move up to D2, which would mean if they keep hockey, it would likely go D1.
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits...Posted by Yager on 12/18/09: Remember, remember, the 18th of October (2003).

    Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

  9. #469
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Calumet, MI
    Posts
    89

    Re: Michigan Tech Huskies Off-Season 2019: The Quest to Get Hard

    Quote Originally Posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
    the reason St Thomas gets mentioned is because they were just booted from their D3 conference for basically being too good...so now that they've been pushed, they might just move up to D2, which would mean if they keep hockey, it would likely go D1.
    as per; https://www.d3sports.com/notables/20...sed-from-miac/

    "St. Thomas has nearly two years to evaluate options for further conference affiliation before it is removed from the MIAC. The department could choose to pursue alternate affiliation within Division III, perhaps in the Wisconsin Intercollegiate Athletic Conference, which is made up of public schools based in Wisconsin but not limited to rule to Wisconsin state schools. St. Thomas also could choose to pursue membership in NCAA Division II, although that would not leave a place for its ice hockey programs."

    as per; https://www.startribune.com/if-miac-...ted/509992312/

    "WIAC Commissioner Gary Karner said, “The WIAC has been in the past and remains open now to adding full or affiliate members.” The league has “clearly established a receptiveness” to considering schools in other states for full membership, he said, and it has previously talked with schools outside the University of Wisconsin system about joining.

    Coleman said the WIAC could benefit from adding a school. It has only five men’s hockey teams and seven baseball teams, and another member would help fill its football schedule. As for St. Thomas becoming a D-III independent, Coleman said that is “almost impossible” because there are so few open dates in conference schedules."

    as per; https://kwsn.com/news/articles/2019/...augie-in-nsic/

    "Regarding hockey, Midco Sports Network NSIC reporter David Brown tweeted Wednesday:

    There will obviously be speculation on if the NSIC would be a good fit for St. Thomas once Augustana goes D-I. On the surface, seems natural. But it would force UST to look for a hockey home. No D-II hockey & whole program has to move up. MSU/SCSU hockey in D-I ‘grandfathered’ in...

    Same goes for UMD/Bemidji State hockey being ‘grandfathered’ in obviously. Character limit needs to go to 300! The point being, St. Thomas would more than likely need to drop hockey to join NSIC unless they can work out some sort of arrangement."
    Last edited by DrunkTrainPolka; 09-24-2019 at 08:00 AM.

  10. #470
    Old Dirty Basterd Shirtless Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    16,926

    Re: Michigan Tech Huskies Off-Season 2019: The Quest to Get Hard

    Quote Originally Posted by DrunkTrainPolka View Post
    as per; https://www.d3sports.com/notables/20...sed-from-miac/

    "St. Thomas has nearly two years to evaluate options for further conference affiliation before it is removed from the MIAC. The department could choose to pursue alternate affiliation within Division III, perhaps in the Wisconsin Intercollegiate Athletic Conference, which is made up of public schools based in Wisconsin but not limited to rule to Wisconsin state schools. St. Thomas also could choose to pursue membership in NCAA Division II, although that would not leave a place for its ice hockey programs."

    as per; https://www.startribune.com/if-miac-d...ted/509992312/

    WIAC Commissioner Gary Karner said, “The WIAC has been in the past and remains open now to adding full or affiliate members.” The league has “clearly established a receptiveness” to considering schools in other states for full membership, he said, and it has previously talked with schools outside the University of Wisconsin system about joining.

    Coleman said the WIAC could benefit from adding a school. It has only five men’s hockey teams and seven baseball teams, and another member would help fill its football schedule. As for St. Thomas becoming a D-III independent, Coleman said that is “almost impossible” because there are so few open dates in conference schedules.
    Well that does leave a place for D1 hockey...he's wrong.
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits...Posted by Yager on 12/18/09: Remember, remember, the 18th of October (2003).

    Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

  11. #471
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Hockey Dead Zone
    Posts
    224

    Re: Michigan Tech Huskies Off-Season 2019: The Quest to Get Hard

    Quote Originally Posted by MTUHuskies View Post
    To preface this comment, I realize there is a big difference between D-III and D-I and if the building could be renovated to a suitable D-I facility we are really dealing with apples and oranges.

    From my experience with UST (then CST) in the late 80s, there was very little support for the hockey team at the Fairgrounds. The vibe on campus was that it was too far to go to watch a game in a bad hockey venue. I no longer live in St. Paul and I am not familiar with the current attitude on campus toward going to Mendota Heights for a game. With a 1400 capacity, I find it hard to believe they get a strong student following.

    Going D-I will definitely draw more interest from the non-student fans, but how much? The twin cities are Yellow Rodent country and I don't see the Tommies taking a very big bite out of that pie. (Just look at the attendance at Mariucci last year, with how fair-weather MN sports fans are the Tommies would have to be Frozen Four contenders to get any interest.)

    As for the building reno, please explain to me how you would have a building suitable for both D-I hockey and the State Fair livestock/horse uses?

    I'd love to see the Tommies go D-I but I see a bunch of major hurdles that won't be cleared by just having wealthy alumni.

    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Minnesota sports fans are passively die hard. (As in everything) If things are going great, they show up. If the team is terrible, we have better things to do. If there is an incompetent owner who doesn't know what they heck they are doing (WC Ford, Mike Brown,...) they voice their displeasure by having empty seats. (The Wild were different as they were happy they had an NHL team after the Norm Green debacle.)

    Yes, Minnesota is U of M country, because it is the only game in town. As we all know, right now they are not the dominate U of M everyone in The Cities expects.

    If one of the colleges went D1, they would find support if they were decent and had lower priced tickets. Assuming they played in an average sized WCHA arena, their campus is in the middle of the alumni base and two weekends would be sell outs as MnSU and BSU fans would help sell out the place. Throw in a series or two per year against U of M, SCSU, UMD, and NDa and they have a good base to build off of. If in their first year as an independent if they get all the MN schools, NDa, Wisconsin, UNO, and a group of WCHA schools, would be a nice first season attendance wise. (Fully realize one can't snap their fingers and create a perfect independent schedule.)

    It all depends on how quickly UST wants to go D-1 in hockey.

  12. #472
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Too far from Houghton to be at the Mac for every game
    Posts
    714

    Re: Michigan Tech Huskies Off-Season 2019: The Quest to Get Hard

    Quote Originally Posted by Lost_Husky View Post
    Minnesota sports fans are passively die hard. (As in everything) If things are going great, they show up. If the team is terrible, we have better things to do...

    If one of the colleges went D1, they would find support if they were decent and had lower priced tickets.
    My point exactly, in the end Minnesota sports fans are cheap bandwagon fans.

    If they could get those regional teams on their home schedule it would help for for a year or two, but if they aren't consistently in the NCAA tournament, they won't get non-student fans.

    I'd like to know how many students make it to Mendota Heights for games now. If the new rink isn't on or very near campus (even the Fairgrounds is too far away) I just don't see a solid student fanbase either.

    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

  13. #473
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Hockey Dead Zone
    Posts
    224

    Re: Michigan Tech Huskies Off-Season 2019: The Quest to Get Hard

    Quote Originally Posted by MTUHuskies View Post
    My point exactly, in the end Minnesota sports fans are cheap bandwagon fans.

    If they could get those regional teams on their home schedule it would help for for a year or two, but if they aren't consistently in the NCAA tournament, they won't get non-student fans.

    I'd like to know how many students make it to Mendota Heights for games now. If the new rink isn't on or very near campus (even the Fairgrounds is too far away) I just don't see a solid student fanbase either.

    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    MN fans are not cheap, they are value conscience.

    They have some things to work out, but it is realistic they could have a successful D1 hockey program.

  14. #474
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Marquette, MI
    Posts
    6,703

    Re: Michigan Tech Huskies Off-Season 2019: The Quest to Get Hard

    So I wonder if Tech hockey legend Mike Zuke will be coming up from St Louis to join his Blues in the Copper Country.

  15. #475
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Too far from Houghton to be at the Mac for every game
    Posts
    714

    Re: Michigan Tech Huskies Off-Season 2019: The Quest to Get Hard

    Quote Originally Posted by Lost_Husky View Post
    MN fans are not cheap, they are value conscience.

    They have some things to work out, but it is realistic they could have a successful D1 hockey program.
    I agree, if they do it right and create their niche in the twin cities, they definitely can be a successful D-I program. But they have a lot going against them.

    As a CST alum, I'd love to see it. It's been many years (30+) since I was there but at the time I was underwhelmed by the level of support for the Tommies hockey program. They were a solid team at the time but even as a huge college hockey fan, I think I only attended 2 or 3 games because it was hard to get to the Fairgrounds and there was no student presence in the stands. I will concede that the building was a horrible venue for hockey and it will be different with renovations.

    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

  16. #476
    Old Dirty Basterd Shirtless Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    16,926

    Re: Michigan Tech Huskies Off-Season 2019: The Quest to Get Hard

    Quote Originally Posted by MTUHuskies View Post
    I agree, if they do it right and create their niche in the twin cities, they definitely can be a successful D-I program. But they have a lot going against them.

    As a CST alum, I'd love to see it. It's been many years (30+) since I was there but at the time I was underwhelmed by the level of support for the Tommies hockey program. They were a solid team at the time but even as a huge college hockey fan, I think I only attended 2 or 3 games because it was hard to get to the Fairgrounds and there was no student presence in the stands. I will concede that the building was a horrible venue for hockey and it will be different with renovations.

    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    its not that surprising that D3 hockey isn't that well attended in the MSP area when you have so many other choices from D1, NHL, NAHL, and high school.
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits...Posted by Yager on 12/18/09: Remember, remember, the 18th of October (2003).

    Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

  17. #477
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Hockey Dead Zone
    Posts
    224

    Re: Michigan Tech Huskies Off-Season 2019: The Quest to Get Hard

    Quote Originally Posted by MTUHuskies View Post
    I agree, if they do it right and create their niche in the twin cities, they definitely can be a successful D-I program. But they have a lot going against them.

    As a CST alum, I'd love to see it. It's been many years (30+) since I was there but at the time I was underwhelmed by the level of support for the Tommies hockey program. They were a solid team at the time but even as a huge college hockey fan, I think I only attended 2 or 3 games because it was hard to get to the Fairgrounds and there was no student presence in the stands. I will concede that the building was a horrible venue for hockey and it will be different with renovations.

    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    They were a football school when I was in MN. Quick search shows they are strong at almost all non-hockey sports.

    As DPT pointed out, staying D3 with the Wisconsin schools would be a good fit. They could jump D2, but that would almost force their hockey team to go D1. D1 hockey for UST is a long shot. I assume they would have to make women's hockey to D1 as well.

    Makes me wonder what the "Mag 7" are going to do for that 8th team.

    The hockey season can't get here soon enough. We are talking everything but Tech hockey.

  18. #478
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Calumet, MI
    Posts
    89

    Re: Michigan Tech Huskies Off-Season 2019: The Quest to Get Hard

    Quote Originally Posted by Lost_Husky View Post
    They were a football school when I was in MN. Quick search shows they are strong at almost all non-hockey sports.

    As DPT pointed out, staying D3 with the Wisconsin schools would be a good fit. They could jump D2, but that would almost force their hockey team to go D1. D1 hockey for UST is a long shot. I assume they would have to make women's hockey to D1 as well.

    Makes me wonder what the "Mag 7" are going to do for that 8th team.

    The hockey season can't get here soon enough. We are talking everything but Tech hockey.
    this is all about tech hockey...

    to me the 8th team will be UAH...

    and wonder too if the mag7 decided to part ways without a plan in place.

    wouldn't you think they would already have a committed 8th team before they broke off from wcha?

    if they are not careful, they will be looking like fools...

  19. #479
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Too far from Houghton to be at the Mac for every game
    Posts
    714

    Re: Michigan Tech Huskies Off-Season 2019: The Quest to Get Hard

    Quote Originally Posted by DrunkTrainPolka View Post
    this is all about tech hockey...

    to me the 8th team will be UAH...

    and wonder too if the mag7 decided to part ways without a plan in place.

    wouldn't you think they would already have a committed 8th team before they broke off from wcha?

    if they are not careful, they will be looking like fools...
    I think they are OK with it starting as a 7-team league if necessary. B1G has 7 and others have/do make it work with an odd number of teams.

    If they had an 8th committed, I think that team would have been included in the original press release. Or at least we'd have had a press release announcing they are joining. I think the 8th team will have to announce ASAP if they want to get out of a conference contract. Not sure about the other leagues, but the WCHA requires a 2-year notice.

    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

  20. #480
    sitting by the river lawdoggies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    WCCHA Land
    Posts
    268

    Re: Michigan Tech Huskies Off-Season 2019: The Quest to Get Hard

    Quote Originally Posted by Lost_Husky View Post
    The hockey season can't get here soon enough. We are talking everything but Tech hockey.
    Agreed! Got my tickets and am ready for the new season to begin.
    Last season may have spawned more questions than answers, so maybe it's time for a new thread and time to tee-up the new season.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •