Page 27 of 29 FirstFirst ... 17181920212223242526272829 LastLast

Thread: Michigan Tech Huskies Off-Season 2019: The Quest to Get Hard

Too far from Houghton to be at the Mac for every game

Re: Michigan Tech Huskies Off-Season 2019: The Quest to Get Hard

Quote Originally Posted by The Troll mtu86 View Post
    too bad, I was hoping Tech had a shot at getting him. But with his mom being an NMU alum I can see why.

On another note, the last I heard Tim Erkkila (was in the running for Michigan Mr. Hockey)now has his sights set on NMU as well. Be a shame to lose out on both of them.
    Doesn't the Erkkila clan have NMU ties too?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Still upright

I didn't realize Beretta left. Anyone know what his reasons were? I understand Gould, but maybe someone could clue me in on the other two.
    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Quote Originally Posted by manurespreader View Post
    I didn't realize Beretta left. Anyone know what his reasons were? I understand Gould, but maybe someone could clue me in on the other two.
    My understanding was that all three were basically the same situation.

stuck below the bridge

Quote Originally Posted by MTUHuskies View Post
    Doesn't the Erkkila clan have NMU ties too?

Dad a Tech grad. Mom a northern grad. so ties to both schools..

UWS & MTU

Quote Originally Posted by MTUHuskies View Post
    My understanding was that all three were basically the same situation.

What exactly do you know to be "the same situation?"
    The U.P. should be the 27th star on Old Glory.

None of the three wanted to play at Tech this year.

Unobtanium Medallion FadeToBlack&Gold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by walktheline View Post
    What exactly do you know to be "the same situation?"
    No longer interested in playing Joe's way, therefore not going to get much ice time.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

Quote Originally Posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
    via the portal system? I don't really understand this. Gould isn't a graduate so Grad Transfer doesn't work. Every other player that has transferred even with release has had to sit out a year? I have heard zero evidence that MTU has any interest in preventing Gould from doing anything...
    The D1 portal allows for transfers with no penalty under certain situations. We lost a junior QB this past year to West Virginia who was granted immediate eligibility. Each case is looked at on an individual basis.

I'm sure that you haven't heard anything on your end. Why would you? The information about your coach fighting it came straight from someone who knows first hand what is going on.

Old Dirty Basterd Shirtless Guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BGFan View Post
    The D1 portal allows for transfers with no penalty under certain situations. We lost a junior QB this past year to West Virginia who was granted immediate eligibility. Each case is looked at on an individual basis.

I'm sure that you haven't heard anything on your end. Why would you? The information about your coach fighting it came straight from someone who knows first hand what is going on.
    what are these certain circumstances?
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

what are these certain circumstances?
    Honestly, they're so inconsistent about who can and who can't that nobody really knows.

Honestly, they're so inconsistent about who can and who can't that nobody really knows.
    Look, everything I have heard is that NCAA asks MTU questions, MTU answers them honestly and makes a decision. There is no "old coach" is fighting to prevent player from playing...its cut and dry. Don't blame MTU if Gould has to sit out a year...It's all up to the NCAA and how they feel the answers to their questions.
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Still upright

Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    No longer interested in playing Joe's way, therefore not going to get much ice time.
    You know I can see a player leaving due to personality conflict with the coach, I can even see two leaving. But once you get to three, you have to start looking at the coach and not all at the players. Second, even under Russell I don't remember anyone leaving, and I can tell you for sure none of the players respected Russell or wanted to play for him. Especially, I don't remember an upper classman leaving. Third, can anyone tell me when, in the 99 year history of Tech hockey, 3 players left of their own accord? I'd be surprised if it has ever happened before.
    Now let's say next summer more players leave? What then?
    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

It could be worse. Doug Ross had two guys quit at Christmas (not in the same year). One was a senior (and I think there was some family stuff there, but he and Ross hated each other) and the other was one of the two goalies that we had on the roster. That led to quite the scramble...

GFM
    Geof F. Morris
    UAH BSE MAE 2002
    UAHHockey.com

if our coach thinks that not having gould be able to play this coming season for BG is good for michigan tech then...

give 'em hell joe! right, left, left, right...

now if its because of p***ing match or a chip on joe's shoulder... then... well, get off your horse mr. shawhan.

GO TECH GOLD!

You know I can see a player leaving due to personality conflict with the coach, I can even see two leaving. But once you get to three, you have to start looking at the coach and not all at the players. Second, even under Russell I don't remember anyone leaving, and I can tell you for sure none of the players respected Russell or wanted to play for him. Especially, I don't remember an upper classman leaving. Third, can anyone tell me when, in the 99 year history of Tech hockey, 3 players left of their own accord? I'd be surprised if it has ever happened before.
    comparing tech's history to what just happened is useless... specially because our slump before mel pearson showed up. not to mention things rule-/attitude-wise were probably very different between the 50s and the 90s.

do this comparison instead... with all other teams;

before a new HC's third year (joe's case) how many players left after the first year, how many left after the second year?

don't get me wrong... i am not protecting joe. much to me gets revealed about his MO in interviews (and possibly players leaving) and i don't care for some of it.

shamming being tops on my list.

he seems to be starting this year on a 'clean player slate' - yes, next year will be very telling in -ALL- regards.

GO TECH GOLD!

I can't really elaborate but while the reasons for leaving are similar the situations are completely different. Them all happening at the same time...whatever
    I really like Joe but this year will be very telling to me.

I'm not going to worry about the guys that are gone. The guys that want to be here are the guys that matter.

Let me know when we get back to a relevant topic.

The fact that the NCAA seems to make more allowances to transfer without penalty, more guys are going to be willing to jump. 5-10+ years ago, they would ride the pine, get their degree and put up with things for a year. Add in the influence of "advisers" who are telling the young man they need more playing time, and you are bound to get more transfers. Especially if they know they are in the coach's dog house.

If you look at NCAA football, high profile players are transferring at a much great rate. U of MI has had a good number of players every year transfer somewhere else.

In all sports, if a student athlete transfers to an "in conference" school, the original school fights like heck to keep that player from playing right away. Even pro teams will do whatever they can to keep from trading players to teams in conference. I would expect Tech to do the same. If they didn't, it sets a bad precedent.
    Last edited by Lost_Husky; 10-03-2019 at 03:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost_Husky View Post
    We are in a different era in college hockey with the Transfer Portal. With the TP, a player knows there is a school that wants them on their team. Add the fact that the NCAA seems to make more allowances to transfer without penalty, more guys are going to be willing to jump. 5-10+ years ago, they would ride the pine, get their degree and put up with things for a year. Add in the influence of "advisers" who are telling the young man they need more playing time, and you are bound to get more transfers. Especially if they know they are in the coach's dog house.

If you look at NCAA football, high profile players are transferring at a much great rate. U of MI has had a good number of players every year transfer somewhere else.

In all sports, if a student athlete transfers to an "in conference" school, the original school fights like heck to keep that player from playing right away. Even pro teams will do whatever they can to keep from trading players to teams in conference. I would expect Tech to do the same. If they didn't, it sets a bad precedent.
    You're not quite right on the transfer portal. It does help declare a players intentions to other school that they are considering leaving, but the moment a player puts their name on the portal, their current school can cut scholarship, etc. You have no "official" idea if other schools want you until after you put your name out there.

You're not quite right on the transfer portal. It does help declare a players intentions to other school that they are considering leaving, but the moment a player puts their name on the portal, their current school can cut scholarship, etc. You have no "official" idea if other schools want you until after you put your name out there.
    True, edited to reflect that.

Thread Information