Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech Huskies Off-Season 2019: The Quest to Get Hard

Originally posted by MTUHuskies View Post
    This was on the LSSU thread: Damon failed to mention that 24 of his 66 (36%) career wins have come against Huntsville, Fairbanks and Anchorage.

Lakers would have had a pretty average 16-12 record without those 3 teams in the league last year.

Looking at Tech's results last year, they went 8-1-1 against those three teams and would have had a 5-11-2 WCHA (6-19-3 Overall) record last season, OUCH! Better improve against the other 6 this year.
    With the exception of last year, LSSU had struggled to win games. Those 3 have been fixtures in the bottom half of the WCHA for his entire time in The Soo. It isn't surprising to see those three make up that high of a victory percentage and shows the struggles at those 3 schools.

Tech's results against those 3 really masked how much this team struggled last year.

Does Gould have to sit out a transfer year or can he play right away for BGSU?

Comment

Originally posted by Lost_Husky View Post
      Does Gould have to sit out a transfer year or can he play right away for BGSU?
      My understanding is if MTU signs a release for him he would not have to sit out. (Basically stating they cut him) I am hoping since he no longer fits the programs plans that the program would be kind enough to sign the release. Heard early rumors they were not going to release him; hopefully that changed. We shall see.
      Last edited by rustedblades; 07-25-2019, 08:10 AM.

Comment

I'd let him go. He only has one year left.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
          I'd let him go. He only has one year left.
          Why wouldn't they? What are the pros/cons of releasing him or not?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

I agree, it is a disappointment. But unfortunately whether he was disrupting the room or not, he certainly wasn't putting up the same numbers on the ice. His 12 points were less than half of his FR/SO average of 26 pts and his pts/game went from .700 as a freshman to .659 as a sophomore to just .353 as a junior. Again, not the way to state your case that you should be getting more ice time or ice time in more critical times of the game.
            Well ... maybe it would be fair to discuss the 'numbers' of all the upperclassmen last year. Using your pts/game standard for 2017-18 and 2018-19:

Ford .44 - .35
            Steman .44 - .35
            Jackson .66 - .36
            Gould .65 - .35
            Lucchini .88 - .68
            Smith .55 - .42
            The only upperclassman whose pts/game stat went up was Beretta .26 - .35

So, what happened to upperclassmen last year? Maybe it isn't appropriate to single out Gould.

Comment

It doesn't matter who the coaches or the players are, if not everyone is pulling in the same direction you will not meet your potential as a team. I don't care what style of play you choose or what systems are run, if you don't have everyone buying in, get rid of the malcontents and move on.
              I agree that everyone needs to pull in the same direction, but this is amateur sport and to some extent staff has to work with the talent that it has, particularly during a transition and while establishing its system. To call someone a malcontent, when he and his family have given so much to a program, seems inappropriate. Maybe it could have been handled better by all involved.
              Last edited by lawdoggies; 07-25-2019, 09:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by lawdoggies View Post
                Well ... maybe it would be fair to discuss the 'numbers' of all the upperclassmen last year. Using your pts/game standard for 2017-18 and 2018-19:

Ford .44 - .35
                Steman .44 - .35
                Jackson .66 - .36
                Gould .65 - .35
                Lucchini .88 - .68
                Smith .55 - .42
                The only upperclassman whose pts/game stat went up was Beretta .26 - .35

So, what happened to upperclassmen last year? Maybe it isn't appropriate to single out Gould.
                The point of my comment is that Gould is one that was rumored to be a divisive force in the dressing room and he was complaining about his role on the team. If true, his lack of production sure didn't help his cause.

I wasn't looking to bring other players into a discussion about him leaving the team.

Comment

Looking at Tech's results last year, they went 8-1-1 against those three teams and would have had a 5-11-2 WCHA (6-19-3 Overall) record last season, OUCH! Better improve against the other 6 this year.
                  Agreed! Another number to look at is to add results against Ferris to this total. MTU won only 14 games last season. 11 of those wins were against Fairbanks #49, Ferris #57, Huntsville #58, and Anchorage #60. Not very impressive.

Comment

I agree that everyone needs to pull in the same direction, but this is amateur sport and to some extent staff has to work with the talent that it has, particularly during a transition and while establishing its system. To dismiss someone as a malcontent, when he and his family have given so much to a program, seems inappropriate. Maybe it could have been handled better by all involved.
                    Staff was working with what they had. And from what I heard, they had some guys that were not on board with the way Joe and his staff wanted to approach the game and were causing problems in the room. In amateur sport the disgruntled player doesn't win that battle.

Yes, he and his family did give a lot to the program, but I'll say it again, you can't rest on your laurels.

Yes, all parties involved could have handled it differently and you know what they say about "ifs and buts".

Comment

Agreed! Another number to look at is to add results against Ferris to this total. MTU won only 14 games last season. 11 of those wins were against Fairbanks #49, Ferris #57, Huntsville #58, and Anchorage #60. Not very impressive.
                      Which relates directly to your comments on lower point production of upperclassmen. There are many opportunities for improvement this year. Hopefully Joe and his staff have been working hard on it this summer.

Comment

Wasn't it a case where Tech was one of those crappy teams not so long ago prior to Merle?

GFM
                        Geof F. Morris
                        UAH BSE MAE 2002
                        UAHHockey.com

Comment

I need to get back to my 1999-2019 Elo rankings for the new site...

GFM
                          Geof F. Morris
                          UAH BSE MAE 2002
                          UAHHockey.com

Comment

• Originally posted by MTUHuskies View Post
                            Why wouldn't they?
                            Ego? You're not getting off that easy! You think you're entitled eh.....! Just speculation of course.

Comment

This was on the LSSU thread: Damon failed to mention that 24 of his 66 (36%) career wins have come against Huntsville, Fairbanks and Anchorage.

Lakers would have had a pretty average 16-12 record without those 3 teams in the league last year.

You can say this about most any team when you pull out the bottom 3 from a conference. They beat the and thats what they were supposed to do

Comment

I agree that everyone needs to pull in the same direction, but this is amateur sport and to some extent staff has to work with the talent that it has, particularly during a transition and while establishing its system. To call someone a malcontent, when he and his family have given so much to a program, seems inappropriate. Maybe it could have been handled better by all involved.
                                Sorry what did his family give to the program? And he gave by playing is there more that he gave?

Comment

Working...
                                X