Goodbye Enrico!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by marty74 View Post
    Please name one positive thing he did during his decade at the Tute. He did duck when Bennett swung at him but aside from being a nice guy who was supportive of his players off the ice, I'm not remembering any highlights.

There was the time he got all gaga because Denver was destined to win the Albany regional but again....
    He did take RPI to NCAA tournament. One tournament appearance in how many years for RPI, like 25?

Comment

Re: Goodbye Enrico!

Adios to Coach Failboat. Vaya con dios buddy.

I kind of wanted to like you. Really. All you had to do was beat BU in 2009. You never would have had to pay for a meal in Chestnut Hill again.

Then 2010 came around and you got blitzed by BC in Ford Field (again!) after insisting in your locker room that BC could not skate with you. Ah Christ that was funny - not exactly a Herb Brooks moment. Pulling your goalie with one thumb motion. The Brotherhood nonsense. Somehow not winning in overtime in Worcester in 2008. We had a lot of good times together Coach. And for that I salute you.
      Last edited by Nick Papagiorgio; 03-20-2019, 10:45 AM.
      Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
      The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
        There are two options to increase Miami's win total next season:
        Paying Enrico's buyout <<<< Paying the NCHC buyout
        So that's why they did what they did.
        Ryan
        This isn't correct. As I said earlier - if Miami had a financial dilemma, it was whether or not to fire the football coach or the hockey coach. The football coach, for all his misgivings (having yet to win a non-conference game, continuously insulting the conference and the fans, continuing to blow close games in embarrassing fashion, etc) has at least been competitive in conference play the last few seasons. The fact that its the MAC aside, that is what saved him from an early exit. Rico has been on the hot-seat for a few seasons, especially since last spring when he was forced to fire his entire staff. This decision has nothing to do with the NCHC and the express desire to remain in the conference is exactly why they felt this move had to be made.

Additionally, I dismiss out of hand the idea that Miami cannot win in the NCHC. That is usually an opinion expressed by those who dislike Miami or feel that they never deserved the invitation in the first place. They have the right to that opinion, but the belief that Miami's struggles are related to joining the NCHC and that they are incapable of winning in the conference is factually incorrect and dismisses the very real factors that have led to Miami's decline...

There are two programs in the NCHC with inherent advantages over the rest - UND and DU - but that hasn't stopped those two from facing challenges, or finishing middle of the pack/out of the tournament, when they make a disappointing coaching hire or have an inexperienced roster. Both St. Cloud and UMD have proven over the course of their history that they can win when they have good coaching and lose when they don't. UMD has a great coach in Sandelin and SCSU had one in Motzko - the new coach hasn't missed a beat, but the jury is still out as the program moves forward in his image. Miami is in the same boat as those two, and will succeed or fail, in the NCHC relative to their coaching/recruiting goes moving forward. Same for the other three...

Here is what happened at Miami. In 2008, Miami had as good a coaching staff as any in recent memory with its two assistants, Jeff Blashill (HC @ Detroit Red Wings) and Chris Bergeron (HC @ Bowling Green), changing the program with their work on the recruiting trail. They had Miami rolling in real time and set up very well for the future. Blashill left after that season and was replaced with a so-so hire in Brent Brekke. Two years later, Bergeron left and was replaced with a completely inexperienced Nick Petraglia. In short order, Miami had lost both of its ace recruiters and replaced them with two who would prove incapable of even resembling their accomplishments. Around the same time, Rico went though a lot of stuff off the ice and seemingly handed more of the recruiting responsibility over to the assistants. While Miami still landed a handful of top-ranked players, the overall depth of the recruiting classes began to slip - and continued to do so futher with each passing season. Nothing had changed in Miami's ability to attract recruits - but everything had changed in the ability of its main recruiters...

For a year or two, Blashill and Bergeron's recruits continued to trickle in, but in consecutive years that pipeline was gutted by the cream of those classes spurning Miami all together. Connor Murphy, Tyler Biggs, Ryan Hartman and Patrick Sieloff have combined to play 616 NHL games - Murphy, Hartman and Biggs were first round picks (Sieloff early 2nd-Round) - but combined to play one season for Miami. Three - Murphy, Sieloff and Hartman (due to mother's health concerns) - ditched Miami for the OHL very late during the year they were scheduled to matriculate. Tyler Biggs played one season in Oxford before leaving for the OHL. This turn of events killed Miami's recruiting momentum and the late replacements were not up to par. Miami had to play recruiting catch-up, which led to lesser classes and eventually a few dismal classes in a row has the RedHawks were they are now. The snowball rolling down hill slowly, has turned into an avalanche the last two seasons...

They've also struggled with on-ice coaching and development, as well as self-inflicted wounds. Players like Casey Gilling (9 FR goals, 4 SO goals) and Phil Knies (11 FR goals, 5 SO goals) are just two recent examples of players failing to get better under the old staff. Trevor Hamilton barely dressed at Miami before leaving for Penn State and becoming one of the highest-scoring defenseman in the BigTen. Carson Meyer is now at Ohio State because the staff did not believe him when he said something was wrong with his health.

Miami is not losing because of the NCHC, they just happen to be losing as an NCHC member. They lost two key assistants and have beaten themselves in recruiting and development for years. Its all come to a head in the last two years and that is why Rico is paying the price. Miami still has the program, the budget, the facilities, the academics, the location (driving distance to MI, IL, MO, PA, NY, ONT, equal access to BC, Europe and other non-traditional markets, and recent success in MN due to NCHC affiliation), the campus and more to attract great talent to Oxford and compete in the NCHC. No two ways about it. It may be a bit more difficult than doing so at UND or DU, but even the biggest Miami haters KNOW that it is very possible and that the right hire will have them back on that track...

All of this is obvious when you look at the recruiting work Peter Mannino did in one season at Miami. The list is very impressive, including a NCAA-best five prospects invited to the US NTDP camp this summer. Obviously, those recruits are still a couple (or more) years away and Miami didn't want to wait on them. Probably rightly so, considering a new coach can still reach out to these players and there is no guarantees these players would stick to their commitment with more of the same in the coming years. If Miami makes the right hire they'll be competitive in the NCHC by year three (maybe even two with so much roster turnover already scheduled on the horizon). If not, they won't be for a while - but it comes down to the coach and the staff, not what the school or the program are capable of...

---

One interesting potential name would be former Miami and Denver coach George Gwozdecky. He would be a short term solution, but certainly someone capable of righting the ship and getting Miami back on track. This hire would also make it likely that Mannino and his stable of recruits stay on board. He also might be able to attract current Ohio State recruiter Steve Miller back to Oxford. I'd sure bet on Miami's ability to recruit high-end kids to Oxford with that staff...
        Last edited by Dan; 03-20-2019, 11:47 AM.
        Live Free or Die!!
        Miami University '03

Comment

Not trying to kick the man too hard when he's down but on the topic of his salary I wonder how much goes towards alimony, a fixed annual amount or a percentage which leaves him with what?
          I don't expect an answer to this post but it was an idle curiosity.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post

He also might be able to attract current Ohio State recruiter Steve Miller back to Oxford. I'd sure bet on Miami's ability to recruit high-end kids to Oxford with that staff...
            Miller's daughter told me personally that Killer has no desire to be head coach, he much prefers the associate role. Obviously with his credentials he would and could have been a head coach years ago almost anywhere of his choosing if this wasn't true.

Comment

You can probably get Blashill back in a few weeks........

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
                I remember the first home game hosting Miami the season following their blowing the National Championship game that during warm ups several Ohio State students behind the Miami net were wearing Boston University jerseys and rubbing their chests against the glass in front of their players.
                Enrico was NOT amused! LOL!
                You two have done it now. Dan will be by shortly to inform you that Miami is Harvard academics, Montreal Canadiens facilities and Arizona State women all rolled into one.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
                  Miller's daughter told me personally that Killer has no desire to be head coach, he much prefers the associate role. Obviously with his credentials he would and could have been a head coach years ago almost anywhere of his choosing if this wasn't true.
                  I understand that. I meant if Miami hired Gwozdecky to be the new HC (for 4-5 years to get the program back to being competitive) that Miller might join him as an associate. Miller worked with Gwozdecky at Miami, previously, and then, obviously, for many years at DU. I don't know if Gwozdecky would even be a candidate, or if Miller would want to join him again just because they've spent so much time together in the past (and I know you don't want to lose Miller!) - its just an outside the box thought. Additionally, Mannino, who has the relationship with all of Miami's current commits (and remains on staff with a chance to interview with the new HC) played for both at DU. Its not a bad idea, a national championship coach who won more than 20-games in 21 of his 27 college seasons and has coached at the school, joined by two strong-recruiting assistants he's very familiar with...

Perhaps its too good to be true.
                  Last edited by Dan; 03-20-2019, 12:04 PM.
                  Live Free or Die!!
                  Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie Schorr View Post
                    You two have done it now. Dan will be by shortly to inform you that Miami is Harvard academics, Montreal Canadiens facilities and Arizona State women all rolled into one.
                    If there are no embarrassingly uninformed takes I shouldn't have to do so...

Strong play by OSU since our last discussion though!
                    Live Free or Die!!
                    Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by bravohankins View Post
                      You can probably get Blashill back in a few weeks........
                      I would take him in a heart beat.
                      Live Free or Die!!
                      Miami University '03

Comment

Arizona State women all rolled into one.
                        LOL....

I've lived in both Ohio and AZ......um yea no. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by jericho View Post
                          Seth Appert probably wants another crack at an NCAA head coaching gig. I’m sure he could do much better at a place like Miami than at RPI.
                          I'm not quite so inclined to write off Mr. Appert since the powers that be at RPI provide little, if any, meaningful institutional support for its once-great hockey program. Anyone who coaches there (including the incumbent), IMO, is set up to fail.
                          "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                            This isn't correct. As I said earlier - if Miami had a financial dilemma, it was whether or not to fire the football coach or the hockey coach. The football coach, for all his misgivings (having yet to win a non-conference game, continuously insulting the conference and the fans, continuing to blow close games in embarrassing fashion, etc) has at least been competitive in conference play the last few seasons. The fact that its the MAC aside, that is what saved him from an early exit. Rico has been on the hot-seat for a few seasons, especially since last spring when he was forced to fire his entire staff. This decision has nothing to do with the NCHC and the express desire to remain in the conference is exactly why they felt this move had to be made.
                            Football is a bad comparison. Unlike in Football, hockey actually has a competitive nature where even small schools with smaller budgets can regularly beat the bigger schools. When's the last time Ohio State lost to a warm up school in football? When's the time a big budget hockey school lost to one of its non-Canadian warmup challengers? It happens a few times each and every year. Hockey is actually competitive, when all is said and done. Football is only competitive when you put schools with similar budgets on the field together.
                            "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by bravohankins View Post
                              LOL....

I've lived in both Ohio and AZ......um yea no. LOL
                              Have you ever been to Miami's campus? Its not Cleveland. Run a quick google search on colleges with the hottest girls and you'll see Miami (rightly) all over those lists - with many ranking them at the very top. It is a huge part of Miami's reputation and is absolutely the kind of thing that would be attractive (pun intended) to college-aged hockey players. Recruits know this, discuss it and believe it - that is first-hand information. The school was also nearly 65% women when I attended.

The very first link that comes up for me - ranks them a modest tenth. Which is lower than they usually are - but who could complain?

https://totalfratmove.com/tfms-top-1...hottest-girls/

I'm not going to get into it with Eddie - he proved last time he's a clown, doesn't understand the topic and has a massive axe to grind against Miami (best of all he KNOWS its true) - but I'd encourage you to attend a game at Miami and head uptown for a night. Report back to me if you think I'm wrong.
                              Last edited by Dan; 03-20-2019, 12:59 PM.
                              Live Free or Die!!
                              Miami University '03

Comment

The girls that Miami brought to the Frozen Fours were nothing to write home about but I have to give them the benefit of the doubt as we saw mostly their backside as they hit the Ford Field exits quickly in 2010 and had all sorts of "makeup malfunctions" due to excessive "moisture" in 2009.
                                Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                                The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Working...
                                X