Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Goodbye Enrico!

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
    The girls that Miami brought to the Frozen Fours were nothing to write home about but I have to give them the benefit of the doubt as we saw mostly their backside as they hit the Ford Field exits quickly in 2010 and had all sorts of "makeup malfunctions" due to excessive "moisture" in 2009.
    Thats funny right there

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
      Football is a bad comparison. Unlike in Football, hockey actually has a competitive nature where even small schools with smaller budgets can regularly beat the bigger schools. When's the last time Ohio State lost to a warm up school in football? When's the time a big budget hockey school lost to one of its non-Canadian warmup challengers? It happens a few times each and every year. Hockey is actually competitive, when all is said and done. Football is only competitive when you put schools with similar budgets on the field together.
      I don't disagree with you. Its not really a comparison of hockey and football, rather a comparison of two Miami coaches on the hot-seat. No one expects Miami to compete with OSU on the gridiron. However, failing to compete for MAC Championships, be competitive with rival Cincinnati or to win more than ZERO non-conference games against FBS schools (they werent all P5 elite) isn't going to cut it. On top of that Martin's failure in close games and his behavior has him squarely in the cross-hairs and MANY Miami fans would have preferred to see him go before Blasi. I do believe it would be financially untenable to fire BOTH in one off-season and that's all I was commenting on. They chose to move on from Blasi and give let Martin play out his deal... ''

Just in case anyone is curious here is Martin's non-conference resume versus non-P5 opponents in five years at Miami...

Marshall - L
      Eastern Kentucky - L
      Cincinnati - L
      Presbyterian - W
      Western Kentucky - L
      Marshall - L
      Eastern Illinois - L
      Western Kentucky - L
      Cincinnati - L
      Marshall - L
      Austin Peay - W
      Cincinnati - L
      Marshall - L
      Cincinnati - L
      Army - L

So, against non-P5s Martin is 22-33 at Miami (20-20 in the MAC). Miami is a top-30 NCAA program in football wins and winning-percentage (with a long history of 'Tomahawk Victories' over P5 schools). Still, I dont think anyone expects them to win at Notre Dame, Ohio State or Iowa. Struggling in the MAC and going .500 against FCS schools isn't good enough. He is lucky that Rico's struggles were so pronounced and they cannot afford two early buyouts...
      Last edited by Dan; 03-20-2019, 01:00 PM.
      Live Free or Die!!
      Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
        Have you ever been to Miami's campus? Its not Cleveland. Run a quick google search on colleges with the hottest girls and you'll see Miami (rightly) all over those lists - with many ranking them at the very top. It is a huge part of Miami's reputation and is absolutely the kind of thing that would be attractive (pun intended) to college-aged hockey players. Recruits know this, discuss it and believe it - that is first-hand information. The school was also nearly 65% women when I attended.

The very first link that comes up for me - ranks them a modest tenth. Which is lower than they usually are - but who could complain?

https://totalfratmove.com/tfms-top-1...hottest-girls/

I'm not going to get into it with Eddie - he proved last time he's a clown, doesn't understand the topic and has a massive axe to grind against Miami (and worst of all he KNOWS its true) - but I'd encourage you to attend a game at Miami and head uptown for a night. Report back to me if you think I'm wrong.
        I was just at Miami for the UMD series. For the Midwest, Miami scores well, but compared to Florida, Boston, California, Arizona,... Miami loses, no question.
        Last edited by Lost_Husky; 03-20-2019, 01:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bravohankins View Post
          You can probably get Blashill back in a few weeks........
          If he was available ... he'll be re-signing for a couple years.
          I've been lost since 1989. I got a breakaway on a frozen river and have been skating ever since.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
            Who's your next suggestion, Red Gendron...
            Actually, he would have been my first suggestion!

Comment

I would really like if Bergeron went back to Miami, but I doubt he will. His program is doing very well and he has all the job security in the world. Also, the family has grown roots there. Maybe in a couple years, when his youngest is off to college, he may be more willing to move, but I don't see it happening this summer.

Comment

Originally posted by Lost_Husky View Post
                I was just at Miami for the UMD series. For the Midwest, Miami scores well, but compared to Florida, Boston, California, Arizona,... Miami loses, no question.
                Every campus has hot girls and to be able to rank schools by it is rather subjective but if you rank Miami on a clean well maintained and organized campus it's pretty high on the list. They erect no new structures that don't conform to the existing architecture so you will never see a hodge podge of different types of build styles. Brick colonial is the norm.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
                  Every campus has hot girls and to be able to rank schools by it is rather subjective but if you rank Miami on a clean well maintained and organized campus it's pretty high on the list. They erect no new structures that don't conform to the existing architecture so you will never see a hodge podge of different types of build styles. Brick colonial is the norm.
                  Michigan Tech may defy your first statement. We no longer have to trade a plane full of snow for a Winter Carnival Queen and her court, so things are improving.

Miami is nice and uniform with the buildings looking like they belong together. Very well maintained as well. Doesn't feel like southeastern Ohio. Then you get to the edge of campus.

Comment

Originally posted by Lost_Husky View Post
                    Michigan Tech may defy your first statement. We no longer have to trade a plane full of snow for a Winter Carnival Queen and her court
                    We now take you to scenes of this event:

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/c4/81/e6/c481e69a21f013c9dc0b0676f9794b34.gif
                    If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

• Re: Goodbye Enrico!

Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
                      Well, we can fault Blasi for a lot of things, but "excellent working knowledge of giant intestinal parasites" is probably not something you'd expect a coach to have.
                      All I can say is it's a good thing they got that tapeworm out of Meyer before it had a chance to fully mature into a referee!

Comment

Originally posted by sk8tronthepond View Post
                        If he was available ... he'll be re-signing for a couple years.
                        Detroit is one terrible franchise, aside from getting crazy money, why would he stay? Almost every other potential opening in the league sans Ottawa is better than Detroit.
                        CCHA 4 LIFE

Comment

What is the story behind Martin trashing the MAC? I haven't heard this.
                          CCHA 4 LIFE

Comment

• Originally posted by Dirty Dream No. 2 View Post
                            What is the story behind Martin trashing the MAC? I haven't heard this.
                            He went on a rant after Miami beat Ohio U., last season, and didn't get a rivalry trophy - claiming it was another example of how cheap the MAC and MAC schools are. There's video Im sure...

This from a guy who had just improved to 1-9 against his primary rivals (OU and Cincinnati). I guess I can see how he'd be unaware of the lack of rivalry trophies- but he has bigger concerns. His non-conference record is well documented. A few mediocre mediocre MAC seasons and Rico's blunders saved his job...

He took a lot of shots at Miami fans for their history of questioning his decisions in this same rant and doubled down on a common theme that losses are due to player execution, IIRC. He throws the players under the bus all the time - it's never the coaching decisions.

This is a guy who constantly goes into second half play-calling shells. He also lost a lot of games under unforgivable circumstances, including two years ago, when he blew an 11-point late fourth-quarter lead over Cincinnati by calling a pass out of his own end-zone (with a minute to play) resulting in the go ahead pick-six. That same season he lost against a winless Bowling Green team in which they trailed by one, but had a first and goal on the 1-yd line with two minutes to play. Martin subsequently called for a direct snap to an offensive lineman in the backfield, which was fumbled and returned 99-yds for the winning score. And that's just off the top of my head...

Agains Rico, and his buyout, has got to be the only reason that guy has a job. Oh well, the decision was made and now hockey needs to find the right coach (a hockey change was also well earned - even if Football will probably have to do the same in a year or two)...
                            Last edited by Dan; 03-23-2019, 03:35 PM.
                            Live Free or Die!!
                            Miami University '03

Comment

Huh, sounds like a real peach. He was on Brian Kelly's staff at Grand Valley and Notre Dame. Go figure.
                              CCHA 4 LIFE

Comment

• Originally posted by Dirty Dream No. 2 View Post
                                Detroit is one terrible franchise, aside from getting crazy money, why would he stay? Almost every other potential opening in the league sans Ottawa is better than Detroit.
                                Detroit is sitting where the Islanders, Toronto and Winnipeg were a few years ago. They’ve been tearing it down and beginning a rebuild. They now have some high quality prospects in the system and will have a high pick in this draft and hopefully next.
                                "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Working...
                                X