Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2020 Democratic Challengers: Who ISN'T Running At This Point?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2020 Democratic Challengers: Who ISN'T Running At This Point?

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    That college is the only way to be rich?
    Heard that many a time, and not by my own parents.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

there are a couple ways to get rich.

1) be rich
      2) fvck someone who is rich (college can help here)
      3) come up with something everyone wants (product, power, fame)
      4) steal something that everyone wants (see #3)
      5) be named Richard

college itself has no ability to make one rich.
      a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

I don’t know many parents that didn’t push their kids to college.

My parents, and my dad especially, pushed me into STEM before STEM was a thing. He knew I would need to go to college to make a buck.
        Code:
        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
        Originally posted by SanTropez
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
        Originally posted by Kepler
        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

My parents, and my dad especially, pushed me into STEM before STEM was a thing. He knew I would need to go to college to make a buck.
          how is this getting "rich"?

Comment

Ditto. Parents drilled into my brother and I some secondary education. I was determined from about 5th grade to become a CPA. Until I had 2 years of college under my belt and found out I'd rather hang myself before spending time in an office. Brother was hired the day he was 18 for car mechanic. Still turnin' wrenches.

Both my parents were collegiate grads, dad was financial and mom was medical.
            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
              how is this getting "rich"?
              Rich is relative.
              Code:
              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Rich is relative.
                hmmmmm

Comment

Quick way to become rich - push electrons on Wall Street.

It's not your money.
                  CCT '77 & '78
                  4 kids
                  5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                  1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                  - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

College was the expectation in my family. It was the right choice for my brother and I.

My parents didn't push me into STEM, but they did veer me away from music and towards something with more potential earning power. Basically they said they wouldn't pay for college for me to be a music major. My love of math and science found me in engineering school.

I do think part of the problem with college costs is the demand. There are kids that college is not the right path for, but they go anyway. There are employers that want someone with a college degree even though it shouldn't be necessary for the position.
                    Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
                    wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
                    7 B1G
                    7 CCHA (all except St Thomas)
                    6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
                    5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
                    5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
                    2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
                    2 Alaskan

Comment

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
                      College was the expectation in my family. It was the right choice for my brother and I.

My parents didn't push me into STEM, but they did veer me away from music and towards something with more potential earning power. Basically they said they wouldn't pay for college for me to be a music major. My love of math and science found me in engineering school.

I do think part of the problem with college costs is the demand. There are kids that college is not the right path for, but they go anyway. There are employers that want someone with a college degree even though it shouldn't be necessary for the position.
                      100% agree. I’d do the same thing with my kids. I knew very early on I wanted to be an engineer. When we had “Dress up as your dream job” day in first grade, I went as a mechanical engineer. I wore a lab coat and had a box of tools. 😂

I’m glad my parents pushed me down that route. They started me using things like bread boards and chemistry sets going back as far as I remember. They made sure I was enrolling myself in math and science courses in high school.

I also completely agree with your demand assessment. We need to fix that first. I’d support a free education program if it were a two-year tech school or effectively a two-year extension or high school. I still don’t support most free college programs because it doesn’t address the demand problem. It could make it worse. We just don’t need everyone in college. We do need tradespeople. Those jobs are hard to automate and they pay well. Plus the cost of the education is a fraction of that for a bachelors.
                      Code:

Comment

A lot of the trade jobs have been shipped overseas and had their union protections stripped away for decades so I can see why parents push their kids the other route (especially when they were the ones to vote for stripping union protections like the selfish idiot boomers they are). It always seems like the vast majority of the people/parents think trade jobs are the answer for "those kids" and aren't seriously advocating for their own kid or themselves to go that route. I do think those jobs need to be filled but generally that's a matter of employer's paying more when the economy is doing "well".
                        Originally posted by The Rube View Post
                        The parents are wrong, however. I mentioned before, look into blue-collar stuff. Forget the stigma...there's money to be made, and it usually only takes 2 years at a trade school.
                        Your earning potential in the long run compared to someone with a bachelor's is almost certainly lower, that's been pretty well established for a while now.

As for Eeyore, thinking about it, I'd even be open to forgiving all interest on current student loans, and charging, I dunno, say 1%-2% on any future student loans (I have no clue what the rates are now). Just pay back what you borrowed. Call it a life lesson.
                        This isn't about punishing people for taking out loans it's about doing what's most efficient for our economy and society.
                        Last edited by trixR4kids; 04-24-2019, 08:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post
                          This isn't about punishing people for taking out loans it's about doing what's most efficient for our economy and society.
                          I find it fascinating that this is so hard to understand.
                          **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                          Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                            I find it fascinating that this is so hard to understand.
                            How bouts when everyone gets their UBI check, these kids can sign it over to the bank, and mookie will go on vacation to Addis Ababa

Comment

Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post
                              A lot of the trade jobs have been shipped overseas and had their union protections stripped away for decades so I can see why parents push their kids the other route (especially when they were the ones to vote for stripping union protections like the selfish idiot boomers they are).
                              I’m not sure what you’re talking about. Trades are things like on-site welding, HVAC, plumbing, electrical, carpentry. There is a shortage of people to fill those jobs. Especially when the economy is hot.

You’re confusing them with manufacturing jobs. Which are very different.
                              Code:

Comment

I’m not sure what you’re talking about. Trades are things like on-site welding, HVAC, plumbing, electrical, carpentry. There is a shortage of people to fill those jobs. Especially when the economy is hot.

You’re confusing them with manufacturing jobs. Which are very different.
                                shhhh. he was on a roll

Comment

Working...
                                X