Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2020 Democratic Challengers: Who ISN'T Running At This Point?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2020 Democratic Challengers: Who ISN'T Running At This Point?

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
    left leaning moderates who didn't take out loans they couldn't afford....
    Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    What a sad statement.
    Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
    Only thinking about yourself is more of a right leaning moderate thing.
    At the very least, this was a pretty judgmental statement. Student loans are, after all, taken out primarily my kids (I was literally a minor when I took out my first student loan) who have been raised to believe that the college education will make them able to afford the loan. Plus, until pretty recently, student loans were generally pretty affordable.

Comment

• Originally posted by duper View Post
      At the very least, this was a pretty judgmental statement. Student loans are, after all, taken out primarily my kids (I was literally a minor when I took out my first student loan) who have been raised to believe that the college education will make them able to afford the loan. Plus, until pretty recently, student loans were generally pretty affordable.
      I’m not passing judgement. I’m predicting how it will go over with the middle / swing voters.

Comment

I’m not passing judgement. I’m predicting how it will go over with the middle / swing voters.
        I'm not passing judgment on the judginess of the phrase "loans they couldn't afford."

Comment

• Originally posted by duper View Post
          I'm not passing judgment on the judginess of the phrase "loans they couldn't afford."
          But that is how many will view it no?

I think to win we need to focus more on health care, taxes, sensible immigration reform etc... I’m not sure “free loan repayment” is the winning platform.

Comment

But that is how many will view it no?

I think to win we need to focus more on health care, taxes, sensible immigration reform etc... I’m not sure “free loan repayment” is the winning platform.
            That's as may be. I don't particularly support Warren, myself. I simply found the way you phrased your comment to be somewhat telling. Perhaps I was reading too much into it, but I kinda doubt it.

Comment

Originally posted by duper View Post
              That's as may be. I don't particularly support Warren, myself. I simply found the way you phrased your comment to be somewhat telling. Perhaps I was reading too much into it, but I kinda doubt it.
              There's a lot to think about when taking out a student loan. What career are you pursuing? Do you think you'll be the same person at 22-23 (or a couple years older) when you graduate, compared to 18, as far as career goals, or even a career? Will your career be able to generate enough income to pay back said loan, without it crippling you for life? Can you go to a less expensive school to achieve the same goals?

Many times, HS graduates are not told these things or taught these things. Parents (and educators) need to better prepare HS students for the real world. That liberal arts degree? Have fun. Get a business degree, or *gasp* look into blue collar stuff like mechanic/HVAC/plumbing/etc (they pay DAM good, if you're willing to do the work). Those that say this isn't 1980s anymore are correct. You won't waltz into a 6-figure corner office job, most likely. Look at the realistic options when making all these decisions.

I'm all for low-interest loans for students (REALLY low interest). I don't like the idea of loan-forgiveness, and "free college" is a tough pill to accept. SOMEone has to pay the teachers/institutions for their time/etc.
              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                The problem with that is when corporations have 0% taxes, there is no incentive to increase wages. Corporate taxes put pressure on corporations to pay wages since they are not taxable.
                corporations have assets. they will pay wealth tax.

end of the day as well, where is more pressure placed..... divs and buy backs to stock holders, or wages to stakeholders
                a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                  ... Most of the other candidates couldn't be bothered.
                  cause they rich

Comment

I like Warren. I like that she thinks through the economics and has plans to help the middle class.

If we're going to talk about loans that can't be paid for, let's talk about how republicans run up our national debt.
                    Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
                    wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
                    7 B1G, 7 CCHA (all except St Thomas), 6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU), 5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont), 5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson), 2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT), 2 Alaskan

Comment

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
                      That liberal arts degree? Have fun.
                      https://www.cbsnews.com/news/a-liber...t-necessarily/

a liberal arts degree salaries start lower, but can earn more after a decade than an engineering degree

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
                        Only thinking about yourself is more of a right leaning moderate thing.
                        I never had student loans, but I see that college affordability is a huge problem. My wife had some student loans -- her parents felt that it was 100% her responsibility to pay for college. It was pretty frustrating that they provided $0 financial help -- they even acquired more debt (buy new vehicles, etc) so the school would calculate a lower "expected family contribution". Neither of her parents had gone to college -- they wanted her to, but just didn't want to help pay for it apparently. On the other hand, both my parents were educators and were able to pay for 100% of my out-of-pocket costs at a state school (I did qualify for a couple academic scholarships, but most of those were only 1-year, I didn't get any need-based aid) -- but that's because they planned ahead, saved my entire life, and made some sacrifices.

I don't know what you could do to take care of the people that had no choice but to take out large loans while not ****ing off the people that had families that planned ahead, saved, and passed up their "dream school" for a lower-cost option.

Comment

Originally posted by BassAle View Post

a liberal arts degree salaries start lower, but can earn more after a decade than an engineering degree
                          Don't let facts get in the way of a Trumpian argument.
                          **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                          Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Business, engineering, medicine and law train you to do a specific job. Liberal arts and science teach you to train yourself to do anything.
                            Cornell University
                            National Champion 1967, 1970
                            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

% of those libarts who are making coin due to their graduate degree???

very important missing piece. mookie would guess over 1/2 went to grad school (MBA?!?!) and then got hired because they had an ivy to hang on the wall in the office.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                                % of those libarts who are making coin due to their graduate degree???

very important missing piece. mookie would guess over 1/2 went to grad school (MBA?!?!) and then got hired because they had an ivy to hang on the wall in the office.
                                the other half finally had access to their trust funds when they hit 30 (10yr post graduation) and are rolling in the 1% passive income buckets.

Comment

Working...
                                X