Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2020 Democratic Challengers: Who ISN'T Running At This Point?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2020 Democratic Challengers: Who ISN'T Running At This Point?

Go on.
    Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
    "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
    Patreon for exclusive writing content
    Adventures With Amber Marie

Re: 2020 Democratic Challengers: Who ISN'T Running At This Point?

IRT Rover's last post I get that pretty much everything that's being proposed needs to get through congress (the top marginal tax rate increase) but realistically nothing is getting through the senate anyhow no matter how moderate the proposal is. The Dems could make a bill where they get rid of ACA and mandate that every living person burn 1 ton of coal and it probably still wouldn't pass. That's why we mostly need to get someone in who has ambitious ideas who can set the rhetoric and propose ambitious legislation, even if it won't pass immediately, and get rid of anyone on either side who opposes progress.

Comment

Al Franken isn’t going to run.
      Uncle Mickey: July 23, 1950-July 22, 2003

WRPI, 91.5 FM...usually color commentary.

Comment

Originally posted by Kep View Post
        "First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.".
        unless they have 8 trillion bullets
        a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post
          IRT Rover's last post I get that pretty much everything that's being proposed needs to get through congress (the top marginal tax rate increase) but realistically nothing is getting through the senate anyhow no matter how moderate the proposal is. The Dems could make a bill where they get rid of ACA and mandate that every living person burn 1 ton of coal and it probably still wouldn't pass. That's why we mostly need to get someone in who has ambitious ideas who can set the rhetoric and propose ambitious legislation, even if it won't pass immediately, and get rid of anyone on either side who opposes progress.
          I don't agree here. You can probably get something pretty liberal passed from the get go even with a bare majority. Not Kep's 97% tax rate but higher top income rates are a lay up. Whether that's 45% or 55% or there's a new top tier will be up to negotiation but lets be realistic. I don't want to blow off a chance to raise taxes on the rich in exchange for purity of rhetoric and an internal civil war. I also think there's a chance to get Warren's wealth tax enacted maybe on an initial small scale. A transaction tax on high speed trading is also an easy win as is killing carried interest and other special interest tax breaks.
          Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

It should be but if Republicans have a majority of the senate it won't be.

Comment

Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post
              It should be but if Republicans have a majority of the senate it won't be.
              I agree. I'm more thinking of what can be done with a narrow majority in the Senate after 2020 provided we pick off the low hanging fruit (CO, ME, AZ) plus one more.

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

Comment

The enemies on the right and left have levelled more criticisms on Beto than all other candidates to date combined. To me much of these criticisms sound like 'TH EMAILZ!'. And if you notice, we don't receive any criticisms about candidates that are nobody's...we only get them about candidates that can actually make it happen. Recently other than Kerry, Obama and Hillary Clinton (all candidates at the doorstep), no candidate has gotten more of a broadside than Beto. Having said that, its too early to make a call on Beto. But surprisingly the Post just did. They'll either help highlight some major flaws...or have some serious regrets on this:

Beto ORourke is a Loser
                Washington Post

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...a41_story.html
                Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                  I agree. I'm more thinking of what can be done with a narrow majority in the Senate after 2020 provided we pick off the low hanging fruit (CO, ME, AZ) plus one more.
                  I don't know what to think about ME. They seem to be rocketing towards Frozen WV.
                  Cornell University
                  National Champion 1967, 1970
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                    I don't know what to think about ME. They seem to be rocketing towards Frozen WV.
                    I don't know Kep. Again Dems completely swept state government last year as well as both Congressional seats. Collins is the last woman standing. I too was extremely disappointed in insane fat slob LePage serving 8 years but he benefited from a 3 way race.

While this obviously isn't the only factor Dems have pretty much taken over everything that's not gerrymandered in ME, PA, MI, and WI and partial control in state govt races in AZ, IA, and NC. That's where I think the message might resonate next year.

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                      I don't agree here. You can probably get something pretty liberal passed from the get go even with a bare majority. Not Kep's 97% tax rate but higher top income rates are a lay up. Whether that's 45% or 55% or there's a new top tier will be up to negotiation but lets be realistic. I don't want to blow off a chance to raise taxes on the rich in exchange for purity of rhetoric and an internal civil war. I also think there's a chance to get Warren's wealth tax enacted maybe on an initial small scale. A transaction tax on high speed trading is also an easy win as is killing carried interest and other special interest tax breaks.
                      Oddly we're not really in disagreement. I agree with your incrementalist approach while the GOP still has significant power. My radical reform is for if and when the GOP completely collapses in a cataclysm, if for example the white Poors finally catch on that the 1% are laughing at them.
                      Cornell University
                      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

The dead guy whose office was down the street from the family manse says this:

@dick_nixon: I'm conservative. I am not a conservative. I wouldn't call myself a conservative in a campaign now for all the tea in China. That's a political decision. https://***********/proust1974/statu...01326487191552
                        CCT '77 & '78
                        4 kids
                        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                          if for example the white Poors finally catch on that the 1% are laughing at them.
                          You really think they have a chance at understanding this? They have already basically shunned education as an evil. That’s a death spiral. Unrecoverable.
                          Code:
                          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                          Originally posted by SanTropez
                          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                          Originally posted by Kepler
                          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                            You really think they have a chance at understanding this? They have already basically shunned education as an evil. That’s a death spiral. Unrecoverable.
                            Tax policy is doable here both in the short and long term. My initial plan is the "get it by Manchin and Tester since we'll need their votes" roadmap to achieving something the next Congress if WH and Senate go our way.

BUT, to the extent you put these higher rates in place and the only effect is the rich having to pay more taxes it lays the groundwork for increases down the road. I'm thinking Warren's wealth tax can start off low but go a few % points higher as the political climate on tax hikes for the rich keeps getting more favorable. If Joe Sixpack still thinks that tax cuts for the rich benefits his minimum wage existence he's probably not voting Dem anyway and there's very few Dems left in solid Red states anymore (the aforementioned Manchin and Tester along with Doug Jones).

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                              They aren't going to listen to anybody else tell them, obviously. But they have been prepped with a hatred of elites and with a victimization streak that's 20 states wide. InfoWars already tells them to hate certain Republicans: McCain is practically a black feminist Jew now.

At some point that could metastasize beyond the GOP's ability to control it, and really who is more obviously a Reptilian Shapeshifter than Lindsey Graham?

Someday the monster is going to go for Frankenstein's throat.
                              Cornell University

Comment

Working...
                              X