Re: B1G Officiating. Time for a change?

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
    when it's time to change
    you've got to rearrange
    In what way?

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
      He treated Michigan the best. He was always tight with Red, his best golfing buddy and he lives in Michigan.
      So you went from perhaps having a point to seeing what you want to see. Plenty of times, Pi screwed us over. Not nearly as bad as Shegos, but he wasn't nearly the fanboi that many think he was.

And, like Happy- what's the realistic alternative? Asking for change when there's no good plan on filling the new holes of officiating solves nothing. There are issues with missed or phantom calls in all of the other conferences, we see them at the NCAA, we've seen them in the CCHA, we even see them in the pros.

What realistic option is there?

Even when we saw linesmen get promoted to full refs, some did a horrible job at it. Totally lost control of the game until there was real bad blood when there shouldn't have been any.

I'm not saying that nothing is done, perhaps get some video review of the ref-ing so that they can see what they over saw and didn't see. But other than process things, these guys are people. Just like the players. Mistakes are going to be made. You can only see what you can see, and you will miss everything you can't see.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
        So you went from perhaps having a point to seeing what you want to see. Plenty of times, Pi screwed us over. Not nearly as bad as Shegos, but he wasn't nearly the fanboi that many think he was.

And, like Happy- what's the realistic alternative? Asking for change when there's no good plan on filling the new holes of officiating solves nothing. There are issues with missed or phantom calls in all of the other conferences, we see them at the NCAA, we've seen them in the CCHA, we even see them in the pros.

Even when we saw linesmen get promoted to full refs, some did a horrible job at it. Totally lost control of the game until there was real bad blood when there shouldn't have been any.

I'm not saying that nothing is done, perhaps get some video review of the ref-ing so that they can see what they over saw and didn't see. But other than process things, these guys are people. Just like the players. Mistakes are going to be made. You can only see what you can see, and you will miss everything you can't see.
        I did allude earlier that bad calls and non calls are a normal part of the game and of course we are much better refs than they are from the stands or our recliners at home.
        But the question of this thread is has the B1G officiating been a problem lately well beyond the usual level of bad or missed calls?

Comment

Shegos was widely regarded as one of the best officials in college hockey. I always find it amusing that no fan ever seems to notice a bad call that went in favor of their team.
          Last edited by davyd83; 03-19-2019, 08:50 AM.
          "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
            Shegos was widely regarded as one of the best officials in college hockey. I always find it amusing that no fan ever seems to notice a bad call that went in favor of their team.
            Our goalie during the Saturday game at Michigan State this year took an obvious dive and got the penalty called on the Spartans.

Comment

Originally posted by bravohankins View Post
              My son, who played all the way up through Midget 18AAA, so he was a high level player, gave up officiating as well. He reffed all up through the levels and after he decided not to play any more Junior hockey thought he might take it up more full time and seriously.
              However, the parents, coaches and tourney admins just beat all of those thoughts right out of him and he stopped doing it at 23. People are just jerks and many times had no clue what the rules really were. He was threatened, followed in parking lots, spit at......just ridiculous stuff.

So, yea WCHA refs stink too........bad calls every single game. However, who else you gonna get? The guys left are the only ones that have decided to soldier on despite the thankless job.
              One of the things that I dislike, is due to fans misbehavior towards refs, they no longer have the names on the refs uniform. I often kept track of refs very casually, and you can't do that now. And, I don't mean always in a bad way. there were plenty of good refs, that when a game was over, I made a mental note, "that was done pretty good", or "his games never have a big problem".
              XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
              Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

Sheesh!! Only the Napa Valley League produces more w(h)ine than I'm reading on this thread. I don't personally know either of the two referees who worked the ND-Minny game but I can guarantee that, when all was said and done, nobody--including everyone whining on this thread--felt worse about that call than the official who made it. The demands placed on hockey officials IMO are far greater than those faced by their bounceyball and football brethren simply because of the speed of the game. Things happen in a fraction of an instant and referees have to reflexively make the penalty/no penalty decision based on instincts developed over a period of years. Sometimes those instincts are wrong. It's the nature of the game. And if you think that phantom calls are made only in the B1G, you haven't been watching many NHL games.

So yeah, it was a bad call and one team had to deal with the unfair consequences. Bad calls have happened before and they'll happen again. But really, officials at this level are highly accomplished, take pride in their work, and that work is continuously reviewed, critiqued, and evaluated. But accomplished and experienced as they may be, game officials are still human beings, none of whom are perfect.

It's time to move on.
                Last edited by Split-N; 03-19-2019, 09:41 AM.
                "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
                  So yeah, it was a bad call and one team had to deal with the unfair consequences. Bad calls have happened before and they'll happen again. But really, officials at this level are highly accomplished, take pride in their work, and that work is continuously reviewed, critiqued, and evaluated. But accomplished and experienced as they may be, game officials are still human beings, none of whom are perfect.

It's time to move on.
                  I think you miss the point here.
                  It isn't even remotely about a bad or missed call here or there but do we have a real problem or not with the quality and expertise of our conference officials and what procedures are there or should be to evaluate and improve? That's the core here.
                  BTW, as defensive as you seem towards the officials I can't help but wonder if your weekend attire includes a black & white stripped shirt?

Comment

The ECAC for whatever reason seems to have turned over many officials over the past couple of years. I am not sure if it was a conscious decision or just a cycle of turnover. That said, adding a bunch of new officials did not change things at all. From my season ticket view at Yale, the officiating remained pretty poor, especially for the level of hockey being played. As was noted, finding good crews these days is very difficult, these men and women are all doing part time jobs with some serious travel involved. I am not sure how much they are paid, but most likely it is probably not worth the headaches, just dues you have to pay if you are serious about moving up.
                    YALE HOCKEY
                    2013 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                      Not by Michigan fans- the "we want Shegos" chant was an insult to the ref.

Comment

Not by Michigan fans- the "we want Shegos" chant was an insult to the ref.
                        Shegos, Wilkins & Piotrowski were the "Terrible Trio" back in the CCHA days!

Comment

Sheesh!! Only the Napa Valley League produces more w(h)ine than I'm reading on this thread. I don't personally know either of the two referees who worked the ND-Minny game but I can guarantee that, when all was said and done, nobody--including everyone whining on this thread--felt worse about that call than the official who made it. The demands placed on hockey officials IMO are far greater than those faced by their bounceyball and football brethren simply because of the speed of the game. Things happen in a fraction of an instant and referees have to reflexively make the penalty/no penalty decision based on instincts developed over a period of years. Sometimes those instincts are wrong. It's the nature of the game. And if you think that phantom calls are made only in the B1G, you haven't been watching many NHL games.

It's time to move on.
                          It's Tuesday, my team doesn't play again for 7 months. What else should we talk about in an officials thread? also, these refs are from the ccha, so I don't know their history. Maybe the guy was like Randy Schmidt, and wanted the game over fast.
                          XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
                          Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
                            ..I can't help but wonder if your weekend attire includes a black & white stripped shirt?
                            A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...before I got too old and ugly. (Actually, the "ugly" part came before the "old" part.) But seriously, the new breed of younger officials is much better trained. Almost all are products of the USA Hockey officiating program, which is structured to identify young officials with high potential and provide them with high-level training and development opportunities. In the bad old days, before this program came along, college officials came largely from an Old Boy Network, where what you knew wasn't as important as who you knew. I'm one of the Old Boys but will be the first to tell you that the young studs are light years ahead of where we were. Still not perfect (and never will be) but IMO, better than what came before.

BTW, I still wear my fan hat when it comes to my Alma Mater and remain butthurt over a certain (IMO) phantom hook in OT that might have decided the 2015 Beanpot. But we move on.
                            "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Sheesh!! Only the Napa Valley League produces more w(h)ine than I'm reading on this thread.
                              It’s a vintage usually only seen in those hyperbolic threads started by n00bs from nWCHA schools.
                              If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Subscribed
                                Code:
                                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                                Originally posted by SanTropez
                                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                                Originally posted by Kepler
                                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Working...
                                X