Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boston University 2018-2019 - Still Alive!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston University 2018-2019 - Still Alive!

I agree with defkit. Back in the day players would sit down with Parker and discuss their future. Not saying they all listened, but... Now it’s cut and run. To ride a bus.
    It Happened!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bomber View Post
      And I think wysi was referring to Tkachuk the elder. He left because of the olympics.
      Yes, the good one. I'm old too.
      Boston University CAS'88

GO BU!

Comment

Just thinking back to the '85-'86 Terriers, great team, excellent season... only four guys that I can think of played in the NHL, and only 2 had NHL careers of note (Cullen; Young). But that was a very long time ago.
        Boston University CAS'88

GO BU!

Comment

I agree with defkit. Back in the day players would sit down with Parker and discuss their future. Not saying they all listened, but... Now it’s cut and run. To ride a bus.
          I think that was also true with Quinn- Think more players stayed an extra year than anticipated rather than more leaving early than planned

Comment

Not a BU guy (UNH) but have been a fan of the game for over 50 years. The fact that the best players leave earlier than in the past is more a function of the shallow pool of NHL level talent. Many of these kids coming out just aren’t ready. Since I’m a Bruins fan I’ll cite JFK and Andrew Bjork as two examples. I thought both were excellent college players. In fact I thought Bjork was the best in HE last year. Neither had any presence when playing for the Bruins. I watch Vesey (he’s on tonight), and he’s just meh. It just tells me that the NHL is looking high and low for quality players. Canada, Europe, Russia have been tapped out. There is no place else to go, so 19 or 20 year old college kids get the chance. The trend is very bad for the college game. You go back 15-20 years ago you had guys like Drury, Gionta, Krog, etc. starring for four years in college. Back then even the lesser teams had one or two pretty good players. As a result, Fans got to know the players, their identities and bonded on some level. Nowadays the best players don’t stay, the fans never see them develop and the college game is weaker because of it. There are other reasons why attendance and passion for the college game has dropped off, but a dwindling pool of talent is one of them.

Comment

Definitely a lot more college players making pro then prior decades. BU has that board at HAA for pro players they may have to end that tradition. The 1978 30-2 championship team had very few going pro or having longer NHL careers. OC, Silk longer careers. Lamby, Bethel and Craig brief careers. Rick Meagher was one of the few from 70s with successful NHL careers. I don’t think studs Vic Stanfield, Bob Brown or Peter Brown even played in the NHL maybe WHA. Mike Fidler had a shorter career.
              Last edited by Jofa; 03-27-2019, 08:41 PM.

Comment

https://twitter.com/mikemcmahonchn/s...491065345?s=21

An update to the grad transfer goalie saga, but man I hope this isn’t the one for us

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

And I think wysi was referring to Tkachuk the elder. He left because of the olympics.
                  point to note is many of those guys only went to school BECAUSE of the olympics. otherwise they would have went directly into professional leagues. colleges benefited greatly from the amateur rule for eligibility.
                  a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by Lemonade View Post
                    When did any of them dominate for long stretches? When did they stand out from their peers? Seriously?.
                    Brady left college for pro and his output INCREASED

perhaps there are better defensemen in hea than the nhl

Comment

Originally posted by wysi View Post
                      Not only that, the "one and done" players were mostly truly great talents (e.g. Leetch, Tkachuk).
                      leetch up the street is another. if he didn't want to play on the 88 olympic team he doesn't go to bc for a season. straight to the pros.

Comment

Paul Hurley left BC to play in the 1968 Olympics and then came back to play again.
                        Originally posted by mookie1995
                        bc is superior to bu in nearly everything. while it is sad that it has come to it, it's the truth. if bu doesn't like it, improve.
                        Rep from Hokydad -"and your an old never been piece of ****"

Originally Posted by Dirty
                        Why is anyone surprised that Old Pio is acting like a grumpy old f^ck? He is a grumpy old f^ck.

Comment

Great post Greg A. Why do you think the pool has gotten shallow? (And another expansion team ain’t gonna help.)
                          It Happened!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by theprofromdover View Post
                            Paul Hurley left BC to play in the 1968 Olympics and then came back to play again.
                            why are you sharing stories from when nobody else was alive?

Comment

• Originally posted by Bomber View Post
                              Great post Greg A. Why do you think the pool has gotten shallow? (And another expansion team ain’t gonna help.)
                              In my opinion expansion at all levels is exactly why the college talent pool is so shallow. Besides the NHL level the expansion at the minor league level has increased the need for players, but the DI and DIII levels have increased as well. In 1984 there were 42 DI teams, now there are 60. And now the NCAA has increased the game roster to 19 skaters, which is another 60 players (equal to three teams) dressing every game.

Sean
                              Last edited by Sean Pickett; 03-28-2019, 06:50 AM.
                              Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                              Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                              BU Hockey highlights and extras
                              NCAA Hockey Financials
                              Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                              I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
                                In my opinion expansion at all levels is exactly why the college talent pool is so shallow. Besides the NHL level the expansion at the minor league level has increased the need for players, but the DI and DIII levels have increased as well. In 1984 there were 42 DI teams, now there are 60. And now the NCAA has increased the game roster to 19 skaters, which is another 60 players (equal to three teams) dressing every game.

Sean
                                Upping to 19 skaters a game though doesn't increase the roster size of each team though. Its one less player that is scratched a night.
                                QUINNIPIAC UNIVERSITY BOBCATS

ECAC Regular Season Champions
                                2013, 2015, 2016, 2019

ECAC Tournament Champions

NCAA Tournament
                                2002, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2019

NCAA Frozen Four
                                2013, 2016

https://www.bobcatshockeyblog.com/
                                https://twitter.com/QHockeyBlog
                                https://www.instagram.com/bobcatshockeyblog/
                                https://www.facebook.com/QHockeyBlog/