Page 10 of 35 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 200 of 693

Thread: Boston University 2018-2019 - Still Alive!

  1. #181
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by mookie1995 View Post
    They may have benfitted as well to wait a sec and not marry the first girl who laid them
    JFK had a pause and saw the Bís dress him a game to burn a year
    Exactly ....and I believe given different situation that would have Been the case .. thereís a goalie glut in Dallas at least another year or two and even if he would have ended up there in the end there was no reason to rush there ... Fabbro I suspect will burn a year of elc and while there is depth at d in Nashville they really wanted him ... farabee who knows I think he always viewed this as one and done and krys again makes you wonder

  2. #182
    The social ramble ain't restful
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Winchester, MA
    Posts
    1,873

    Re: Boston University 2018-2019 - Still Alive!

    Quote Originally Posted by ColinWilsonFan View Post
    I would say what Colby Cohen shares has way more significance than any of this babble this isnít about blue chippers leaving early
    Can you elaborate on the source of the unhappiness or dissatisfaction leading to the exodus?
    if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

  3. #183
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by buoldtimer View Post
    Can you elaborate on the source of the unhappiness or dissatisfaction leading to the exodus?
    Ask Colby Cohen heís the one who shared

  4. #184
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    267

    Re: Boston University 2018-2019 - Still Alive!

    Quote Originally Posted by ColinWilsonFan View Post
    Again ... you don’t understand ...the goal is to burn a year of elc and that is 3 years no matter what .. in the case of oettinger krys they sign and play jisbyewr but don’t get to burn a year of their ELC .. it doesn’t make sense in a lot of not most cases to leave a high end D1 program to go play in the AHL and if they leave and they don’t get to burn a year of elc like for example mccavoy did or Eichel even JFK then they usually stay the ATO for oettinger is same for the others that aren’t officially burning a year of and want to play ... I suspect farabee isn’t going to play so no need and I suspect chad has same del so as not being able to burn a year of elc ... until next year ... I would be surprised if Fabbro doesn’t get the chance to burn a year of ELC
    I get it.

    Option A: sign now and start burning ELC at beginning of 2019/2020 NHL season no matter what.
    Option B: go back to BU and sign at end of next season and hope they put you on NHL roster to start ELC year which rarely happens.
    Option C: go back to BU and sign and start burning ELC at beginning of 2020/2021 NHL season no matter what.

    Very rare for an NHL to burn an ELC year for 10 or so games unless they player is an absolute stud ala McAvoy/Eichel where the player can help the NHL team immediately. They chose Option A which I get since they probably werent offered Option B.

  5. #185
    The social ramble ain't restful
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Winchester, MA
    Posts
    1,873

    Re: Boston University 2018-2019 - Still Alive!

    Quote Originally Posted by ColinWilsonFan View Post
    Ask Colby Cohen heís the one who shared
    Okay, I'll wait until I speak to him later this afternoon.
    if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

  6. #186
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
    Oettinger and Fabbro will burn a year no matter what next year; I believe as they are not "slide eligible" as they are both 20 already. Farrabee appears to be slide eligible and would need to appear in 10 games to burn his first year of his ELC.

    I think.
    Correct but If as Jonny gaudreau for example did and played one game with Calgary and burned a year the same thing would be the case for the guys signing except farabee which is why they are playing in ATOís well at least krys and oettinger .. I think Fabbro plays this year and burns a year ...farabee seemingly canít play anyway because of his injury so contract is for next year

  7. #187
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    267

    Re: Boston University 2018-2019 - Still Alive!

    Quote Originally Posted by ColinWilsonFan View Post
    Correct but If as Jonny gaudreau for example did and played one game with Calgary and burned a year the same thing would be the case for the guys signing except farabee which is why they are playing in ATO’s well at least krys and oettinger .. I think Fabbro plays this year and burns a year ...farabee seemingly can’t play anyway because of his injury so contract is for next year
    Fabbro burns a year because Nashville lost leverage if Fabbro came back to BU he would become a FA. Nashville would then lose Fabbro for nothing so they dangle burning a year of ELC to get him to sign.

  8. #188
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonade View Post
    I get it.

    Option A: sign now and start burning ELC at beginning of 2019/2020 NHL season no matter what.
    Option B: go back to BU and sign at end of next season and hope they put you on NHL roster to start ELC year which rarely happens.
    Option C: go back to BU and sign and start burning ELC at beginning of 2020/2021 NHL season no matter what.



    Very rare for an NHL to burn an ELC year for 10 or so games unless they player is an absolute stud ala McAvoy/Eichel where the player can help the NHL team immediately. They chose Option A which I get since they probably werent offered Option B.
    You are more on track now I donít necessarily agree as in some cases players have leverage wouldnít call JFK or Colin White studs ... but again the player has more control in the current situation and unless they know (or are falsely promised ) they get NHL time and a chance to burn first year they are less likely to go unless there are other reasons thatís all I am saying

  9. #189
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonade View Post
    Fabbro burns a year because Nashville lost leverage if Fabbro came back to BU he would become a FA. Nashville would then lose Fabbro for nothing so they dangle burning a year of ELC to get him to sign.
    He only has to play one NHL game and I know thatís exactly the point

  10. #190
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    14,690
    Quote Originally Posted by buoldtimer View Post
    Okay, I'll wait until I speak to him later this afternoon.
    I laughed

  11. #191
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    267

    Re: Boston University 2018-2019 - Still Alive!

    Quote Originally Posted by ColinWilsonFan View Post
    You are more on track now I donít necessarily agree as in some cases players have leverage wouldnít call JFK or Colin White studs ... but again the player has more control in the current situation and unless they know (or are falsely promised ) they get NHL time and a chance to burn first year they are less likely to go unless there are other reasons thatís all I am saying
    I think we agree but I am probably not clear in my describing the situations. Each player has a unique situation and all want to get paid and as fast as possible. Not sure that relates to the coaching at BU. The type of players they get its becoming the norm for doing as little time at BU as necessary to then jump to the pro level. Sometimes works (Eichel) and sometimes it doesnt (long list of players leaving too early).

  12. #192
    Blackhawks!!!
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    BU Bandwagon, MA
    Posts
    8,030

    Re: Boston University 2018-2019 - Still Alive!

    It Happened!!!!

  13. #193
    Holding court
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    HOTel cORAL esSEX
    Posts
    5,920

    Re: Boston University 2018-2019 - Still Alive!

    Quote Originally Posted by ColinWilsonFan View Post
    Farabee seemingly can’t play anyway because of his injury so contract is for next year
    Going to be interesting when he hits the 9 game mark next year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010 View Post
    The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

  14. #194
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonade View Post
    I think we agree but I am probably not clear in my describing the situations. Each player has a unique situation and all want to get paid and as fast as possible. Not sure that relates to the coaching at BU. The type of players they get its becoming the norm for doing as little time at BU as necessary to then jump to the pro level. Sometimes works (Eichel) and sometimes it doesnt (long list of players leaving too early).

    See I donít totally agree with that it isnít always that each player wanted to get paid as fast as possible of course they all want to get paid but want the best situation where they get to develop and get a chance to play and quickest path to the NHL no one wants to sign to languish in the AHL or worse when maybe staying in school would be a better choice development wise and quality of life wise ... now if you feel that not to be the case then it changes the calculus which I think is what some people are saying and asking about what those reasons may be

  15. #195
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    267

    Re: Boston University 2018-2019 - Still Alive!

    Albie certainlly has a rough road ahead and it will be interesting to see how much rope he has. Next year looks like a total rebuild year and thats not going to go over well. I think administration has to give him a few years to instill his stamp on the program but its going to be rough waters until BU comes out of this downturn. Only thing that is a positive is I think Umass comes back to pack with Makar leaving, PC will be good, Umass Lowell/UNH/UMaine/UConn/Merrimack/VT arent good either so Hockey East is pretty crappy. BC has a great recruiting class coming in but for how long and how long do they stay for? BU can still be decent in this conference.
    Last edited by Lemonade; 03-25-2019 at 02:40 PM.

  16. #196
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    267

    Re: Boston University 2018-2019 - Still Alive!

    Quote Originally Posted by ColinWilsonFan View Post
    See I donít totally agree with that it isnít always that each player wanted to get paid as fast as possible of course they all want to get paid but want the best situation where they get to develop and get a chance to play and quickest path to the NHL no one wants to sign to languish in the AHL or worse when maybe staying in school would be a better choice development wise and quality of life wise ... now if you feel that not to be the case then it changes the calculus which I think is what some people are saying and asking about what those reasons may be
    I think the caliber of player that we are discussing all think they are NHL material thus the decisions they made. Personally, I think Farabee should have come back for one more year and increased his strength. I think his agents/sdvisors and Flyers organization would have agreed with that...I think the player thinks he is ready for the next level and wants to play in NHL...all conjecture on my part but thats what I think.

  17. #197
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Fitchburg, MA
    Posts
    4,259

    Re: Boston University 2018-2019 - Still Alive!

    Quote Originally Posted by Bomber View Post
    And I'm not piling on....only repeating what I said at the time refuting those who said "He's paid his dues." That has nothing to do with whether or not he should have been hired as a head coach. It's a unique skill and not everyone has it. Just look at Josh McDaniels. There's a huge difference when ALL of the attention and pressure is on you because you're "the" guy. I have worked with people that are phenomenal at their jobs as individual contributors but s*ck as managers. There's a reason why some people are passed over. The problem arises because in some professions there is only "one path" to the highest income level, and in coaching it happens to be head coach.

  18. #198
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    14,690
    Quote Originally Posted by Bomber View Post
    Seems unfair to Albie. It was his first year as a head coach--anywhere. And I know he was on staff but ultimately Quinn called the shots. The current roster construction should fall on Quinn not Albie. Need to give the guy a few years to put his program together. Not like BU was great last year either. Needed to win HE tournament to get in just like this year. And easily could have lost to BC in that semifinal game last year.

  19. #199
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Fitchburg, MA
    Posts
    4,259

    Re: Boston University 2018-2019 - Still Alive!

    Quote Originally Posted by J.D. View Post
    Seems unfair to Albie. It was his first year as a head coach--anywhere. And I know he was on staff but ultimately Quinn called the shots. The current roster construction should fall on Quinn not Albie. Need to give the guy a few years to put his program together. Not like BU was great last year either. Needed to win HE tournament to get in just like this year. And easily could have lost to BC in that semifinal game last year.
    I don't think they're talking about the roster construction. I think they're referring to:
    1) the fact that there didn't seem to be much improvement throughout the course of the year
    2) he was never able to get them to jell and play completely as a team (and I say "he" because that IS the head coach's job - to make the whole greater than the sum of its parts

    Now, of course, and this is the wild card, it's tough to measure when you have players whose heads are dreaming about $$$. And that's the dilemma with the present setup. As was previously mentioned, in general today, people have shorter attention spans and demand immediate gratification. Few want to put in the work to get to the point where they will earn their spots. They instead are somewhat delusional about how good they are. But is this totally their fault? No. When you are told from the time you are 10 years old how great you are, this is what happens. You get entitled people who are looking to short-cut the process. Which is exactly why you need continuity and leadership to keep them focused on today, not where they will be playing next year. But it's getting more and more difficult in today's society to do this, because we see examples of the same thing all around us. This is exactly why you get a team that loses to Merrimack, Quinnipiac (a game they should have won), Union and UConn. Yes, top end talent plays "better" when they're challenged and motivated. The trick is to keep them that way when the games don't mean as much. That's why, as much as you say people like Calipari and Coach K get the "best players," they still have the knack of getting them to give a great effort most nights. Which brings us full circle back to the skill set. There's usually a reason why an assistant never advances. And why the great ones typically rose to the top early in their careers. Again, not an indictment of Albie. Only 1% of coaches are in that category, so it's not fair to say he "failed" if he's not in that 1%. The better response would probably be that perhaps they should have hired someone else to begin with. Time will tell, but if he doesn't succeed, it's more likely that he just doesn't have that skill. Which is nothing to be ashamed of. Extracting potential from someone is a very difficult task. Most people can't do it.
    Last edited by chickod; 03-25-2019 at 02:58 PM.

  20. #200
    Blackhawks!!!
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    BU Bandwagon, MA
    Posts
    8,030

    Re: Boston University 2018-2019 - Still Alive!

    Quote Originally Posted by chickod View Post
    And I'm not piling on....only repeating what I said at the time refuting those who said "He's paid his dues." That has nothing to do with whether or not he should have been hired as a head coach. It's a unique skill and not everyone has it. Just look at Josh McDaniels. There's a huge difference when ALL of the attention and pressure is on you because you're "the" guy. I have worked with people that are phenomenal at their jobs as individual contributors but s*ck as managers. There's a reason why some people are passed over. The problem arises because in some professions there is only "one path" to the highest income level, and in coaching it happens to be head coach.
    I just finished reading "Wise Guys" Man, I wish Jack O'Callahan had gone down the coaching track. Can you imagine his personality, smarts, and competitiveness behind the BU bench?
    It Happened!!!!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •