Page 1 of 32 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Boston University 2018-2019 - Still Alive!

Blackhawks!!!

Boston University 2018-2019 - Still Alive!

BU can beat NU. Iím not saying they will, but they can.

BU and BC have crap seasons and they both make the Garden anyway. Too funny.

4pm face-off

Re: Boston University 2018-2019 - Still Alive!

Quote Originally Posted by Bomber View Post
    BU can beat NU. I’m not saying they will, but they can.

BU and BC have crap seasons and they both make the Garden anyway. Too funny.

4pm face-off
    Congrats to the Terriers! Amazing after being shutout by Maine in the final regular season game. Just proves that they didn't show up for the Maine game and cream rises to the top at crunch time.

Quote Originally Posted by Runsub5 View Post
    Congrats to the Terriers! Amazing after being shutout by Maine in the final regular season game. Just proves that they didn't show up for the Maine game and cream rises to the top at crunch time.
    I'm noticing a pattern (and have for a few years). When you have elite talent, they don't remain motivated every game. Yes, it puts them in a dangerous position, but who would you rather have in a one-game scenario? This team put today's game away early. You would think it was a completely different team from yesterday's, but this is what happens when you have elite talent that is motivated. Not saying they can repeat last year, but I like their chances. BC is in the same boat and don't count out an upset of UMass. Simply put, this team is better in a single-elimination situation. One game from the Frozen Four the last two years. I saw UMass Friday night and they are awesome once they get rolling. But UNH didn't have the talent to skate with them or really pressure them. It was only a matter of time. But if BU plays like the first and third periods today (and this second period malaise that we've seen all year is an enigma - they'll have to show up all three periods next weekend) they can beat anyone in the country in a one-game scenario. Yeah, they can be frustrating to watch, but the reality is, the talent always gives them a chance. There are many teams in the league that you simply can't say that about. I think we DID get a break with PC winning, because we always seem to have trouble with them, and we get a game under our feet before we potentially have to play UMass (not disparaging NU either). It should be fun.

Is it officially the 4:00 p.m. game?

Blackhawks!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by chickod View Post

Is it officially the 4:00 p.m. game?
    Yes.

Congratulations on your Hockey East trophy. You just gotta get a few by the NU goalie. He's pretty good.
    'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Quote Originally Posted by FiveHole12 View Post
    Congratulations on your Hockey East trophy. You just gotta get a few by the NU goalie. He's pretty good.
    Did the NU goalie somehow allow the HE trophy into the back of his net?

Quote Originally Posted by FiveHole12 View Post
    This concerns me significantly. Also, the fact that NU has become much more confident at the Garden. While UMass is the clear favorite, one has to wonder if some of their players might get a little overwhelmed with playing there.
    BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Quote Originally Posted by defkit View Post
    This concerns me significantly. Also, the fact that NU has become much more confident at the Garden. While UMass is the clear favorite, one has to wonder if some of their players might get a little overwhelmed with playing there.
    Well, there's also the fact that they don't have to win. I know they "want" to, but that's a different dynamic. It remains to be see how they will respond. Not saying they won't, but it's an unknown at this point. I'm not sure if "overwhelmed" is the right word. I saw them Friday at Amherst and they were sort of "disinterested." If they don't score that last-minute goal at the end of the second and go into the 3rd period down 3-0 they probably lose that game.

Beating Lowell in a best-of-three, at Lowell, is a good result.
    Same with BC upsetting PC in Providence.
    I'd rank Bazin and Leaman as the two best coaches in Hockey East (yeah, ol' Jerry is a legend, but he's not up there anymore), and neither's team is going to the Garden despite having home ice.

Super Serial

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Cleverly View Post
    Beating Lowell in a best-of-three, at Lowell, is a good result.
    Same with BC upsetting PC in Providence.
    I'd rank Bazin and Leaman as the two best coaches in Hockey East (yeah, ol' Jerry is a legend, but he's not up there anymore), and neither's team is going to the Garden despite having home ice.
    And there's a small chance PC will miss the tournament too.
    I was formerly a tasty 7-11 beverage. Now I'm a fan of defunct hockey teams.

there's a good buck in that racket.

Quote Originally Posted by brassbonanza View Post
    And there's a small chance PC will miss the tournament too.
    big10 are getting a 2nd team now, yes.
    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Blackhawks!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by mookie1995 View Post
    big10 are getting a 2nd team now, yes.
    Yes.

The Dark One
    killin your brain like a poisonous mushroom

I'm noticing a pattern (and have for a few years). When you have elite talent, they don't remain motivated every game. Yes, it puts them in a dangerous position, but who would you rather have in a one-game scenario?
    The problem with this logic and we saw this like a bazillion times in the 2nd half of Parker's tenure is that a team who shows up when they feel like it has trouble putting that motivation together for the string of single elimination games it takes to get to and win the Frozen Four or even the HE tournament.

Having said that, great and surprising win for BU. Never expected them to go up to Lowell and smoke them let alone put in double digit goals over the 3 game series. I think Albie saw what one good end of season run did for Dave Quinn (fat NHL contract) and said "hmmm...that could be me".
    Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Holding court

Quote Originally Posted by defkit View Post
    Good point. Not to mention Zoomass' frequency of being there once every 15 years; you have to think maybe they will be afraid to blow it.

Congrats on the series victory.
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010 View Post
    The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    The problem with this logic and we saw this like a bazillion times in the 2nd half of Parker's tenure is that a team who shows up when they feel like it has trouble putting that motivation together for the string of single elimination games it takes to get to and win the Frozen Four or even the HE tournament.
    Oh...I absolutely agree, but what can we do? If they're not going to change the recruiting strategy, then that's all we have to pin our hopes on, right? You basically have a new team every other year and they use the regular season to hopefully peak and jell at the "right time." It's not ideal, but it seems to be a growing trend in college hockey. The old days are seemingly gone forever. I'm not really sure what the blueprint is at UMass, but it's a little early to judge IMO. Not sure I like what I see, either. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure I read that Carvel "asked" some players not to return so he could bring in more blue chippers? If that's the case, I think it's the wrong way to go. If you give a kid a scholarship and then revoke it just because you find someone better, that doesn't seem like what we want to do. This still isn't professional hockey - it's college.

Oh...I absolutely agree, but what can we do? If they're not going to change the recruiting strategy, then that's all we have to pin our hopes on, right? You basically have a new team every other year and they use the regular season to hopefully peak and jell at the "right time." It's not ideal, but it seems to be a growing trend in college hockey. The old days are seemingly gone forever. I'm not really sure what the blueprint is at UMass, but it's a little early to judge IMO. Not sure I like what I see, either. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure I read that Carvel "asked" some players not to return so he could bring in more blue chippers? If that's the case, I think it's the wrong way to go. If you give a kid a scholarship and then revoke it just because you find someone better, that doesn't seem like what we want to do. This still isn't professional hockey - it's college.

Lets not get crazy - Umass got extremely lucky with Cale Makar. He is a the very rare circumstance where he stayed at a school when he should have left. Credit to Makar but take him off that team and they arent something special. When you get a player like that (Eichel at BU was similiar) then things are different. That elite caliber player leaves and the rest of the team drops back to planet earth.

Was able to snag some front row corner seats at Tsongas yesterday. It's a shame that these quarterfinal weekends are over school's breaks, but it was fun sittin' down front. It shouldn't be permitted that they pipe the band's music through the sound system. Certainly not at the volume they were doing it at Tsongas...Though at least they have a few decent beer choices.

I also happened to be in Providence for the Saturday tilt, PC/BC. It was an extraordinarily feisty game. The stuff after the whistle was constant. So, Schneider Arena: This place was pretty obviously built by the low-cost bidder and the architect was an aspiring George Costanza. How do you build a rink where there are nearly zero seats that have unobstructed views? There are so many rails and other obstructions, it ridiculous. How about putting the concourse in the back and then having rows? On a positive note, it was very clean and the seats were very wide!
    "What about my asthma?"
    "Where'd you come from - a scotch ad?"

Quote Originally Posted by Lemonade View Post
    Lets not get crazy - Umass got extremely lucky with Cale Makar. He is a the very rare circumstance where he stayed at a school when he should have left. Credit to Makar but take him off that team and they arent something special. When you get a player like that (Eichel at BU was similiar) then things are different. That elite caliber player leaves and the rest of the team drops back to planet earth.
    Well from what I saw Friday they have more than Makar.

Quote Originally Posted by SpauldingSmails View Post
    It shouldn't be permitted that they pipe the band's music through the sound system. Certainly not at the volume they were doing it at Tsongas...
    Absolutely! I had to yell to talk to the person next to me. And it's not just that...it's the constant inundation of SOMETHING...either videos, PA announcer with continuous promotions, etc. You don't get one second of quiet. But that's another thing that has become a trend. I know they did it when the Celtics were playing on the road (can't remember where off hand)...the crowd was nowhere near full and they just piped in "fake" crowd noise.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemonade View Post
    Depends on what you mean by planet earth. There are a lot of good players on that team. Carvel has done a tremendous job in a short period of time.

Thread Information