Page 34 of 35 FirstFirst ... 242526272829303132333435 LastLast

Thread: Boston University 2018-2019 - Still Alive!

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by defkit View Post
    Agreed - save on the fees. Even if hell freezes over and the games sell out, people are usually selling outside. I don't think a non-BC game has sold out in the past 5 years.

In terms of tips on places to see, go, etc. - there is almost too much to list. But walking some of the Freedom Trail is always a good way to get a good feel for the city. The North End (Italian district), the USS Constitution, the Old State House - those are all within walking distance of Faneiul Hall (the Constitution may be a bit of a walk). Getting over to Harvard Square in Cambridge gets you a feel for the "Educational" side of the city, though they are all over the place. I would recommend giving yourself a little time before one of the games to stop at Fenway Park, just off of Kenmore Square. Just walking around that area and seeing how Fenway is wedged into the area is kinda cool, if you are used to seeing arenas and ballparks surrounded by large parking lots. In terms of food, the North End is worth a trip, also lots of options in the Back Bay area on Boylston or Newbury Streets.
    Agree on all.... also of note, that weekend happens to be the weekend of the Head if the Charles regatta (one of the largest rowing regattas in the world), so the river east of the BU Bridge between Boston and Cambridge will be abuzz with activity.

If you are “beer geek” Trillium brewery in the Fort Point neighborhood produces literally some of the best IPAs in the country, and the brewery has a cool vibe to it.. They also have a beer garden on the greenway (not too far from Faneuil Hall), but I’m not sure if that will still be open that time of year.

While you are at the games, if you are interested in BU Hockey history, there is a small selection of “exhibits” throughout the concourse at Aggainis showing BU alums in the NHL, Olympics etc etc... you would be able to peruse it all of you have yourself an extra 30 minutes at the arena.
    Last edited by ericredaxe; 09-15-2019 at 09:04 AM.

Veteran

Re: Boston University 2018-2019 - Still Alive!

Oh, and if you want to join in with the BU faithful, T’s Pub and Sunset Cantina (both very close to the arena) are the two most common pre-game spots.

Thanks everyone! The Freedom Trail is definitely on our list. We'll have to make Fenway a priority too. Always up for checking out a historic ballpark/stadium. I'm not a huge drinker, but I don't mind trying new craft brews every now and then so we'll make Trillium a potential stop. I love my hockey history as well, so we'll definitely allow time to get to the arena early and wander the concourse.

Looking forward to a great series in my first visit to Boston!

Quote Originally Posted by NMU Fan View Post
    Thanks everyone! The Freedom Trail is definitely on our list. We'll have to make Fenway a priority too. Always up for checking out a historic ballpark/stadium. I'm not a huge drinker, but I don't mind trying new craft brews every now and then so we'll make Trillium a potential stop. I love my hockey history as well, so we'll definitely allow time to get to the arena early and wander the concourse.

Looking forward to a great series in my first visit to Boston!
    My first Boston visit too. Really looking forward to it! If you make it by Thursday, you also have Bruins/Lighting!
    Last edited by davyd83; 10-07-2019 at 05:03 PM.

there's a good buck in that racket.

ok, so mookie being removed from town first went to check the obituaries ()

if you go to tour fenway, search and ask for ed carpenter. he is a guide there and was former bu sports information director (the award for most goals given at the season ending banquet is named in his honor), ask for his tour.
    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Opposite Girl

Quote Originally Posted by mookie1995 View Post
    ok, so mookie being removed from town first went to check the obituaries ()

if you go to tour fenway, search and ask for ed carpenter. he is a guide there and was former bu sports information director (the award for most goals given at the season ending banquet is named in his honor), ask for his tour.
    Definitely do this. Ed was the SID for BU at the 1991 NCAA Tournament. You can probably share some great stories!!

The exhibition game is December 29? What's the point?

Quote Originally Posted by BU Fan 84 View Post
    Don't want to play a regular game while star players away at junior tournament
    Gives other players a game before swinging back to regular games a week later

Season tickets came today

Super Serial

Quote Originally Posted by bu fan 84 View Post
    the exhibition game is december 29? What's the point?
    fire albie!!!!1!!!!!!1!!!!1!!1!
    I was formerly a tasty 7-11 beverage. Now I'm a fan of defunct hockey teams.

2009 NCAA Champions Sean Pickett's Avatar
    Schedule has been out for some time. Game is at WBA.

Sean

Quote Originally Posted by DLG View Post
    Don't want to play a regular game while star players away at junior tournament
    Gives other players a game before swinging back to regular games a week later

Season tickets came today
    Star players??

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Pickett View Post

Sean
    Neither of these sentences are particularly responsive.

Quote Originally Posted by brassbonanza View Post
    fire albie!!!!1!!!!!!1!!!!1!!1!
    16-18-4

Star players??
    For NCAA purposes, I think calling Zegras that is reasonable. Perhaps "future star" would be more appropriate, but I personally think he will be the undisputed best player on this team from day 1. Unfortunately that is what happens when we lose our best player after one season for three years in a row (Tkachuk wasn't our best, but he obviously a very talented kid).
    BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Quote Originally Posted by defkit View Post
    For NCAA purposes, I think calling Zegras that is reasonable. Perhaps "future star" would be more appropriate, but I personally think he will be the undisputed best player on this team from day 1. Unfortunately that is what happens when we lose our best player after one season for three years in a row (Tkachuk wasn't our best, but he obviously a very talented kid).
    Yeah, I think he will be our star. You never know with freshmen though, so I hesitate to call a freshman a star player until we actually see it. I am hoping Harper is back to being a star, too.

Super Serial

16-18-4
    I know, right? That plus a December exhibition game? Can't understand how he still has a job here.
    I was formerly a tasty 7-11 beverage. Now I'm a fan of defunct hockey teams.

Opposite Girl
    Yeah, I think he will be our star. You never know with freshmen though, so I hesitate to call a freshman a star player until we actually see it. I am hoping Harper is back to being a star, too.
    Regardless if he will be a “star”, he should be an impact player and will be at the World Juniors. Not having any games during that break may be a detriment to the other players so why not schedule a meaningless exhibition where the non-World Junior players can get a game in?

2009 NCAA Champions Sean Pickett's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Pickett View Post

Sean
    Neither of these sentences are particularly responsive.
    There are several reasons for having the exhibition game on 29 December and not at the start of the season.

1. Coach O'Connell has followed Coach Quinn in not scheduling regular season games during the World Junior Tournament. This leads to an extended layoff for the team as the last game of the first semester is 7 December and the first game of the second semester is 8 January. By playing the exhibition game on 29 December it makes it only a 3 week layoff and the players will have 2 exhibition games played when they return to regular season play on 8 January.

2. BU plays 17 regular season home games this season, but it is a unbalanced schedule as they play 10 of those games in the first semester and play a home game 8 out of 9 weeks starting with the home opener. Then they have only one regular season home game between 7 December and 24 January. Having the exhibition game during that seven weeks allows fans to see the team play a second home game during those 7 weeks.

3. Exhibition games in October compete with fall activities, sports and yard work for the fans' time. Having the game on 29 December means it will not be competing with said activities and it will be played when many fans are thinking of hockey.

4. It is also likely to boost the attendance for the home opener.

Sean
    Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
    Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

Watch BU Hockey highlights
    NCAA Hockey Financials
    Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games

Good luck to Goalie Sam Tucker. Grad transfer from Yale. https://hockey.dailyfreepress.com/20...a06OlV8et3jr44
    YALE HOCKEY
    2013 National Champions

The first Hockey East pre-season poll is out. The Hockey East Writers & Broadcasters Association poll has the Terriers ranked #5--exactly where they finished last season. Last year’s regular-season champion, UMass is picked to repeat.

1.Massachusetts (6) 163
    2.Providence (3) 153
    3.Boston College (6) 151
    4.Northeastern (1) 140
    5.Boston University 123
    6.Massachusetts-Lowell (1) 121
    7.New Hampshire 73
    8.Maine 70
    9.Connecticut 65
    10.Vermont 43
    11.Merrimack 20

Thread Information