Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boston University 2018-2019 - Still Alive!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Textron View Post
    Maybe BU Fan 84 knows , he thinks he’s a genius.
    *sigh*
    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

• Re: Boston University 2018-2019 - Still Alive!

Is the BU program in free fall mode
      So far 3 goalies including Lackey from Harvard in the transfer portal have opted not to come to BU
      Didn't Paul Pearl have a relationship with him?
      Today Mark Divver is reporting BVR from UNH has chosen Northeastern over BU

Comment

Originally posted by DLG View Post
        Is the BU program in free fall mode
        So far 3 goalies including Lackey from Harvard in the transfer portal have opted not to come to BU
        Didn't Paul Pearl have a relationship with him?
        Today Mark Divver is reporting BVR from UNH has chosen Northeastern over BU
        A bit of conjecture on my part...There's probably a combo of factors behind why each of these players chose another school/hockey program for their final year of eligibility. With the goalies, despite an obvious need, one can't necessarily assume every goalie in NCAA transfer protocol is the right fit for BU, even if only for next season.

In BVR's case, it's possible NU offered guaranteed scholarship $ and/or more $ than BU (if BU even offered any $)? Despite somewhat of a need, it might have come down to #/$ as to why BVR is NU-bound.

There's also the component getting admitted into a graduate program, not to mention incoming Freshmen getting thru admissions despite having solid GPAs and SAT/ACT scores. I've heard on multiple occasions thru reliable sources that BU Admissions has really put the clamps on student-athlete admissions. With hockey, it's been particularly so after Parker's retirement, as I've heard neither DQ nor Albie had/have the pull with Admissions that Coach Parker did.

Comment

The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Friend_of_BU_Hockey View Post
            A bit of conjecture on my part...There's probably a combo of factors behind why each of these players chose another school/hockey program for their final year of eligibility. With the goalies, despite an obvious need, one can't necessarily assume every goalie in NCAA transfer protocol is the right fit for BU, even if only for next season.

In BVR's case, it's possible NU offered guaranteed scholarship $ and/or more $ than BU (if BU even offered any $)? Despite somewhat of a need, it might have come down to #/$ as to why BVR is NU-bound.

There's also the component getting admitted into a graduate program, not to mention incoming Freshmen getting thru admissions despite having solid GPAs and SAT/ACT scores. I've heard on multiple occasions thru reliable sources that BU Admissions has really put the clamps on student-athlete admissions. With hockey, it's been particularly so after Parker's retirement, as I've heard neither DQ nor Albie had/have the pull with Admissions that Coach Parker did.
            So there it is in a nutshell. The de-emphasis of major sports (translate: anything that costs more than minimal money) at BU is now complete. Might as well find another team to root for. This was predictable. They are gradually allowing the legends to "fade away." They're not going to do anything to "actively" rock the boat and **** off the Alumni. But clearly we have seen for decades where they are heading. This is an international, academic research university where there is really no place for large-scale sports programs. Sure, they'll keep lacrosse and swimming, etc. But hockey (although it probably brings in the most revenue it is also the most expensive) will die. They couldn't do it with a legend like Parker around, but everyone fades away eventually. When the majority of people who would have been offended are dead, then the transition will have been complete. And the only catalyst they need to justify their cause is the downward spiral of interest, as measured by the declining attendance. Silber started it in the 90's with football and now they're going to finish it. Well, it was good while it lasted. As I have said, at least we have memories!!

But that's cool...maybe we can start the "Friends of BU Quantitative Analysis"
            Last edited by chickod; 04-17-2019, 12:31 PM.

Comment

Oh dear God, chickod, that glass isn’t half empty, it’s an abandoned beer stein in the Sierra Desert.
              It Happened!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Rogie21 View Post

Can’t get on the ice at BU, play for Michigan? Okay.
                It Happened!!!!

Comment

Before the shutter the program, let’s celebrate Grzelyck to Coyle to McAvoy for the first Bruins goal tonight.
                  It Happened!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Bomber View Post
                    Before the shutter the program, let’s celebrate Grzelyck to Coyle to McAvoy for the first Bruins goal tonight.
                    Between chickod & yourself, trying to figure out who's the Drury or Eichel of BU Hockey pessimism... ;-)
                    Last edited by Friend_of_BU_Hockey; 04-17-2019, 07:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bomber View Post
                      Can’t get on the ice at BU, play for Michigan? Okay.
                      Interesting to see if Switzer plays It isn't like our 6th defenseman last season was very good
                      Almost seemed on brink- gave some offensive contributions

Comment

• Originally posted by Friend_of_BU_Hockey View Post
                        Between chickod & yourself, trying to figure out who's the Drury or Eichel of BU Hockey pessimism... ;-)
                        I forgot to use my sarcasm font. My bad.
                        It Happened!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bomber View Post
                          Grzelyck just impresses me on a nightly basis. Seems like a good dude and a good teammate but honestly just so impressive what he has been able to do with the Bruins. He is constantly punching above his weight class... or he is just going to be underrated in perpetuity. Size aside, which isn't impeding him much from what I can tell, I can't find a knock on this kid at all.

Also, McAvoy's goal was great but that boneheaded 3rd period penalty was a game-changer in a bad way. In the end I think having to defend the 1 goal lead at end of the game with the extra attacker on benefitted the Bruins for the rest of the series but still... totally unnecessary.
                          Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                          The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                            Also, McAvoy's goal was great but that boneheaded 3rd period penalty was a game-changer in a bad way.
                            On the other hand, what about the bogus "interference" where he breathed on the guy?

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
                              On the other hand, what about the bogus "interference" where he breathed on the guy?
                              The one where he stuck his butt out? I didn't like the call live, but on replay, i thought it was the right call. I initially thought the Maple Leaf had just played the puck, so it seemed a check would be legal. But the puck went past the guy, he was just in pursuit of it.
                              BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                                Grzelyck just impresses me on a nightly basis. Seems like a good dude and a good teammate but honestly just so impressive what he has been able to do with the Bruins. He is constantly punching above his weight class... or he is just going to be underrated in perpetuity. Size aside, which isn't impeding him much from what I can tell, I can't find a knock on this kid at all.

Also, McAvoy's goal was great but that boneheaded 3rd period penalty was a game-changer in a bad way. In the end I think having to defend the 1 goal lead at end of the game with the extra attacker on benefitted the Bruins for the rest of the series but still... totally unnecessary.
                                Agree 100% on all of this.
                                BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

Working...
                                X