Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boston University 2018-2019 - Still Alive!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston University 2018-2019 - Still Alive!

Originally posted by SMW_Bu21 View Post
    Ugh...cant blame Lackey though. It will his last NCAA season and will want to win and get more visibility if he wants a pro deal and PC gives him a better chance currently.

Comment

Originally posted by Lemonade View Post
      Ugh...cant blame Lackey though. It will his last NCAA season and will want to win and get more visibility if he wants a pro deal and PC gives him a better chance currently.
      Well, yeah, specifically, is this "indicative" of the perception of BU at the present time and will this mean we are going to start to see more recruiting "losses?"

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
        To anybody with inside information...does this raise a red flag?
        No inside info but this isn't the most shocking thing in the world. BU is going to have a team full of freshman that they will need to rely on with Bowers, Farabee gone with very little quality upperclassmen to lead the team. PC's program is clearly in a better state than BU's in right now plus you have Nate Leaman vs. Albie O'Connell. It's a no brainer who he should want to play for.
        QUINNIPIAC UNIVERSITY BOBCATS

ECAC Regular Season Champions
        2013, 2015, 2016, 2019

ECAC Tournament Champions

NCAA Tournament
        2002, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2019

NCAA Frozen Four
        2013, 2016

https://www.bobcatshockeyblog.com/
        https://***********/QHockeyBlog
        https://www.instagram.com/bobcatshockeyblog/
        https://www.facebook.com/QHockeyBlog/

Comment

Originally posted by QUAlum2004 View Post
          plus you have Nate Leaman vs. Albie O'Connell. It's a no brainer who he should want to play for.
          That was kind of my point. If this is the way most recruits perceive it, we're in more trouble than just our program not being in a "good state;" namely, it's not going to turn around anytime soon.

Comment

Well, yeah, specifically, is this "indicative" of the perception of BU at the present time and will this mean we are going to start to see more recruiting "losses?"
            I think so. Honestly going to PC is a no brainer for Lackey IMO. I am sure he has aspirations to play professionally after school and PC will be a much better team than BU next season so his chances of receiving a pro deal is better given the PC route. Lackey is looking at 1 season only. PC plays a defensive game in a tight rink = much better for goalie and goalie stats.

Comment

That was kind of my point. If this is the way most recruits perceive it, we're in more trouble than just our program not being in a "good state;" namely, it's not going to turn around anytime soon.
              Right now the coaching rankings in Hockey East:
              1. PC
              2. UMass
              3. Northeastern
              4. BC
              5. UML
              6. BU
              7. UNH
              8. UConn
              9. Merrimack
              10. Vermont
              11. Maine

Comment

Right now the coaching rankings in Hockey East:
                1. PC
                2. UMass
                3. Northeastern
                4. BC
                5. UML
                6. BU
                7. UNH
                8. UConn
                9. Merrimack
                10. Vermont
                11. Maine
                Well, that closely aligns with the standings so I don't think it's particularly insightful. I wasn't referring to a team's "record" as an indicator of its recruiting prowess. I was looking for something deeper, i.e. is there some "issue" going on behind the scenes that is driving people away from BU?

In other words, when did we go from "That's the place you want to go if you want to make it in the NHL" (just look at all the plaques in Agganis) to "Don't go there...you'll have a much better chance to get to the NHL if you play for [insert name here] University."

Let me be even more "pointed." Pearl and Eklund were both on the Harvard staff. Yet he chose to go somewhere else? Am I reading too much into this?
                Last edited by chickod; 04-04-2019, 01:27 PM.

Comment

Well, that closely aligns with the standings so I don't think it's particularly insightful. I wasn't referring to a team's "record" as an indicator of its recruiting prowess. I was looking for something deeper, i.e. is there some "issue" going on behind the scenes that is driving people away from BU?

In other words, when did we go from "That's the place you want to go if you want to make it in the NHL" (just look at all the plaques in Agganis) to "Don't go there...you'll have a much better chance to get to the NHL if you play for [insert name here] University."

Let me be even more "pointed." Pearl and Eklund were both on the Harvard staff. Yet he chose to go somewhere else? Am I reading too much into this?
                  My ranking was strictly on coaching staff and their current status. A few years ago I would have had Norm Bazin number 1 overall...so I guess it does go along with the success of the program. Right now Umass is the cool place to play but I think that changes with Makar leaves. I dont think UMASS will sustain its success. Providence has been solid and very successful with Leaman. IMO, I think Leaman goes to the NHL someday and the sooner the better. NU has had recent success and despite what some forecasted had another good season despite departures. BC has York and thats a draw. The rest of the teams are all in the same bunch - I am not sure that Albie, Souza, Gendron, Borek, etc. are a huge draw when recruiting.

I think you have certainly have valid concerns with regards to the mass exodus of players and now missing out on Lackey. There are two versions I am hearing - one is these players were leaving anyways and its positive for BU that they are developing players that are going pro.

The other version I am hearing that I believe is more truth is not very promising - players werent happy with coaching this season, didnt have fun and and wanted out. Where there is smoke there is fire. The fact that 5 players left (some early), hockey ops left, lots of negativity surrounding team, etc.
                  Last edited by Lemonade; 04-04-2019, 01:56 PM.

Comment

The other version I am hearing that I believe is more truth is not very promising - players werent happy with coaching this season, didnt have fun and and wanted out. Where there is smoke there is fire. The fact that 5 players left (some early), hockey ops left, lots of negativity surrounding team, etc.
                    Troubling...especially because we were sold the idea that Albie has "paid his dues" and "deserves" the position. So it makes one wonder, since he has been on the staff all these years, what changed when he became head coach?

Comment

Troubling...especially because we were sold the idea that Albie has "paid his dues" and "deserves" the position. So it makes one wonder, since he has been on the staff all these years, what changed when he became head coach?
                      I am right there with you - I was pulling for Albie as well. He seemed really well liked with players and support staff prior to being named head coach and recruited those players.

Losing games doesnt help I am sure with morale either but other than that it seems something is causing some strife within the program currently. Maybe its just first year stuff - coach wants to implement his own style and ways of doing things....just grasping at this point.

Comment

I may be the eternal optimist, but I harbor some skepticism with this perspective. Of the departures, Bowers and Farabee were the only ones of real concern to me (the early departures). With Krys, Oettinger, and Fabbro all completing their degrees this summer, their departures are reasonable to my mind.

However, even with the Farabee departure, Farabee was a first round pick and finished the season strong.

I wonder how much of the “negativity surrounding the team” is really of our own making. While the Bowers departure is concerning, especially following a regression in his sophomore season, one player (two if you count Farabee) leaving earlier than anticipated without a strong reason plus one person moving on from their job in hockey ops doesn’t necessarily scream fire to me.

Comment

Originally posted by SMW_Bu21 View Post
                          I wonder how much of the “negativity surrounding the team” is really of our own making. While the Bowers departure is concerning, especially following a regression in his sophomore season, one player (two if you count Farabee) leaving earlier than anticipated without a strong reason plus one person moving on from their job in hockey ops doesn’t necessarily scream fire to me.
                          Small camp fire?

Comment

I think we all can agree there's a reasonable level of concern surrounding the program given this year's results and a large amount of roster turnover. That said, concern is just that, concern. Not the sky is falling. The upcoming season will be very telling.

Also, the staff clearly expected a large amount of roster turnover given the number of players who were recruited to come in this fall prior to these departures. I think we can include Farabee and Bowers in the category of departures the staff planned for.

I don't think the Lackey decision is indicative of much at all.
                            ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post

I don't think the Lackey decision is indicative of much at all.
                              I agree. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that at this point in time, PC is in a better place than BU. That doesn't mean the program is in shambles. For a player that is making a 1-year commitment, what matters is where the programs are right now. And PC is two games away from their second national title in 5 years.

While I do think that there is cause for at least a little pause (more due to what I have heard than what I have seen in terms of departures), I feel that it is fixable and I am hopeful that we will rebound next season. If none of the recruits for the fall change their minds, that will certainly be a good thing.

The TSN rankings that came out today of the top 15 have Zegras at #8. Somewhere I saw mention that our class currently ranked #2. So reason for optimism.
                              BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

Originally posted by defkit View Post
                                he TSN rankings that came out today of the top 15 have Zegras at #8. Somewhere I saw mention that our class currently ranked #2. So reason for optimism.

He'll need to produce from the get-go next season.
                                The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

Comment

Working...
                                X