2019 ECAC Championship Weekend in Lake Placid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sshablak View Post
    Can someone please put up the winning goal here, I can't find it, want to see it. And the hit everyone's talking about, thanks.
    See if I can. It'll have to be this afternoon. But, I just watched the replay and the camera was more on center ice and you can't clearly see if the Clarkson forward(s) were offside. There is no clean shot of the blue line.

If that was the only camera angle, then the on ice call had to stand as it was not 100% conclusive.
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by sshablak View Post
      Can someone please put up the winning goal here, I can't find it, want to see it. And the hit everyone's talking about, thanks.
      https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8N4WmEZbRnc

Comment

Re: 2019 ECAC Championship Weekend in Lake Placid

Originally posted by CLKHockey View Post
        https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8N4WmEZbRnc
        A cool view of the goal and celebration. Too bad it didn't start five seconds earlier.
        YALE HOCKEY
        2013 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by LTsatch View Post
          The net was pushed on top of the goalie by a Cornell player trying to cut the corner and catch up to a Clarkson forward, look at the replay, it was obvious. The officials screwed up by not blowing the whistle while he was stuck. The lack of a whistle did not affect the score.
          I will add my 2 cents here. In my opinion, this play should NOT have been blown dead. Clarkson has inside position going behind the net which a trailing Kaldis tries to get inside position. He dislodges the net slightly ramped up but pegs are still in. Clarkson still has clear possession in dangerous scoring area. Galladja straps are caught on the net briefly. Once the puck is out of dangerous scoring area/possession then whistles blown dead.

Comment

Originally posted by CLKHockey View Post
            made it a link and the video doesn't show the line call.
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

On the non off side call! In my view it was not offsides. Clarkson moves the puck diagonally in the neutral zone to a cutting player who straddles the blue while keeping his back skate behind the blue line as the the puck deflects of his stick. The puck enters the zone before his back skate so it is ON sides.

On another play in the same sequence, Brousseau poke checks the puck back in Cornell's D zone but both Clarkson "touch up" getting them back on sides.

It is a clear goal by Clarkson players hammering home the centering feed/pass with forehand hand (left hand) One cannot ramped up and with force a shot like that with a kick.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                made it a link and the video doesn't show the line call.
                He first asked for a video of the goal. So there it is.....

Comment

On a note not as controversial..what a great weekend of hockey culminated with an awesome final. Cornell and Clarkson proved to be the best of the ECAC. Although I would but Quinnipiac up there but we will never know. I thought Cornell was slightly the better team overall but Clarkson wins and that's all that counts. Like I stated, earlier, Clarkson's D's and their structure were very good. Their best players were their best players in Kielly and Sturm. Kielly reads the plays so well and helps himself with poke checks on unsuspecting incoming players and playing pucks out of danger. Their are strong on their sticks and body. They are almost always on the right side of the puck and when not they recover very well. They will do well in the Dance because of these traits.

Cornell will do well as well. Only question is? Do they have the scoring and also if falling behind, can they generate that necessary offense to catch up? There is absolutely no doubt they they can play and protect with the lead.

Clarkson, Cornell, Quinnipiac, and Harvard...go ahead and represent the ECAC well! Good luck to all four and especially to IVIES!

Comment

The play that resulted in the winning goal should have been blown dead for offsides. The puck is poke-checked into the Cornell zone and is touched by a Clarkson player beyond the blueline. Then the puck is chipped back out of the zone by Cornell for a split second and then carried back into the zone by Clarkson. This makes it so that that first instance of offsides was no longer reviewable, but let's be clear: the winning play should never have happened.

This game saw many other totally botched calls. Cornell was the beneficiary of a couple, but Clarkson was the beneficiary of many more. Clarkson scored goals on two Cornell penalties, at least one of which was absolutely not a penalty. There was a moment when Cam Donaldson had a breakaway after sticking the puck down from the air, and the refs called it a high-stick even though it wasn't even close.

To the bumblers on this thread whose critical thinking skills can muster nothing more than "Cornell fans complaining about the refs LOLOLOL," I want to be clear that the ECAC refs are generally awful, they do not favor one team over another, and on any given night they are making calls largely at random. Sometimes Cornell benefits, sometimes they don't. Same as any other team. It just sucks that in this instance it cost them the ECAC Championship.
                    Last edited by CornellFan13; 03-24-2019, 12:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CornellFan13 View Post
                      The play that resulted in the winning goal should have been blown dead for offsides. This is not debatable when you look at the replay. The puck is poke-checked into the Cornell zone while a Clarkson player is clearly beyond the blueline. Then the puck is chipped back out of the zone by Cornell for a split second and then carried back into the zone by Clarkson. This makes it so that that first instance of offsides was no longer reviewable, but let's be clear: the winning play should never have happened.

This game saw many other totally botched calls. Cornell was the beneficiary of a couple, but Clarkson was the beneficiary of many more. Clarkson scored goals on two Cornell penalties, at least one of which was absolutely not a penalty. There was a moment when Cam Donaldson had a breakaway after sticking the puck down from the air, and the refs called it a high-stick even though it wasn't even close.

To the bumblers on this thread whose critical thinking skills can muster nothing more than "Cornell fans complaining about the refs LOLOLOL," I want to be clear that the ECAC refs are generally awful, they do not favor one team over another, and on any given night they are making calls largely at random. Sometimes Cornell benefits, sometimes they don't. Same as any other team. It just sucks that in this instance it cost them the ECAC Championship.
                      I would have to disagree and I am not a Big Red bashed but rather a avid Ivy then ECAC fan. Brosseau while just outside of blue line poke checks the puck while two Clarkson players are tagging up. The key here is these players are making no play on the puck so the refs are correct in letting the play continue. This is not like the old days where a whistle occurs at every touch on a off sides. You fail to point out this key point.

Comment

Originally posted by BIG Green View Post
                        I would have to disagree and I am not a Big Red bashed but rather a avid Ivy then ECAC fan. Brosseau while just outside of blue line poke checks the puck while two Clarkson players are tagging up. The key here is these players are making no play on the puck so the refs are correct in letting the play continue. This is not like the old days where a whistle occurs at every touch on a off sides. You fail to point out this key point.
                        I do not believe this is anywhere in the rulebook. Can you provide proof that this is the rule?

Comment

I do not believe this is anywhere in the rulebook. Can you provide proof that this is the rule?
                          Tag up offside? Been there for a while. The key is all 6 CCT have to be in the neutral zone before reentering
                          CCT '77 & '78
                          4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Sorry, I misunderstood the above--I believe one of the tagging up Clarkson players *touches the puck* which it is still in the Cornell zone. You can't see it in the above-posted replay but that was the understanding of the announcers/coaches. I am fairly certain that if it touches anyone on Clarkson inside the Cornell zone, *even incidentally* as they are tagging up, the play should be whistled dead. I've edited my initial post.

Comment

Sorry, I misunderstood the above--I believe one of the tagging up Clarkson players *touches the puck* which it is still in the Cornell zone. You can't see it in the above-posted replay but that was the understanding of the announcers/coaches. I am fairly certain that if it touches anyone on Clarkson inside the Cornell zone, *even incidentally* as they are tagging up, the play should be whistled dead. I've edited my initial post.
                              That's true, but the ESPN- camera didn't catch it if it happened.
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

You cannot tell on replay but looks like #21 of Clarkson does not attempt to play the puck while clearing the zone. Besides the linesman will bark out loudly “off” “off” informing both teams especially Clarkson who if he does touch it will be a face off in Clarkson’s D zone, thus penalizing Clarkson for touching the puck.

As for the announcers, I think they are referring to either the original play getting into the zone or this play where they clearly see that Clarkson is in an off side position but make no mention of , not playing the puck and clearing the zone which would nullify the off side.

Look I get it as as Big Red fan, as a college hockey fan let’s move on and congratulate both teams on a great game.

Comment

Working...
                                X