Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Who will be the NC$$ Women's Div I 2018-2019 Champion

Originally posted by hab View Post
    LOL! You are so predictable Shelfit. "Everybody has crappy coaching...." yadda yadda yadda.
    I understand the point she's trying to make, but - at least for the case of Wisconsin - it simply has no validity at all.

"With the long-standing success of those programs their recruiting is practically built-in in terms of attracting the top talent every year. How WI doesn't just crush their opponents almost every game throughout the season is beyond me. Crappy coaching I guess. Lol. But seriously, I think MJ is way overrated"

She's saying that being the UW coach in 2019 isn't hard because of the great recruits they get, and they get those recruits because of "the long-standing success of [the] program". And that may be to some extent true. But that means that much of the credit for 2019 should go to the guy who first turned the program into that "long-standing success", the guy who first got them to the point of winning conference championships, and into the NCAA tournament, and then winning some of those tournaments that led to the string of great recruits, etc..

And that guy's name is....
    Last edited by robertearle; 03-18-2019, 04:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by hab View Post
      Cornell could be an upset winner. They have crazy-good offensive skills. Their weakness is that goaltending has been only average, and it is tough to win a championship at any level with average goaltending. If Boissonault can have a good weekend they will be tough!
      Minnesota has been rather average in net as well. If it comes down to goaltenders as the decider, then advantage Clarkson. However, when Wisconsin is playing its best, it is just so tough to get a clean shot at the net, that it can hide some deficiencies.
      Last edited by ARM; 03-18-2019, 04:27 PM. Reason: Added quote.
      "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
      And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by robertearle View Post
        I understand the point she's trying to make, but - at least for the case of Wisconsin - it simply has no validity at all.

"With the long-standing success of those programs their recruiting is practically built-in in terms of attracting the top talent every year. How WI doesn't just crush their opponents almost every game throughout the season is beyond me. Crappy coaching I guess. Lol. But seriously, I think MJ is way overrated"

She's saying that being the UW coach in 2019 isn't hard because of the great recruits they get, and they get those recruits because of "the long-standing success of [the] program". And that may be to some extent true. But that means that much of the credit for 2019 should go to the guy who first turned the program into that "long-standing success", the guy who first got them to the point of winning conference championships, and into the NCAA tournament, and then winning some of those tournaments that led to the string of great recruits, etc..

And that guy's name is....
        You could say the same about all four coaches heading to the Frozen Four couldn’t you?

Comment

Originally posted by Puckdrop14 View Post
          You could say the same about all four coaches heading to the Frozen Four couldn’t you?
          I think one could make a pretty good case that Frost took over a program with "long-standing success" and has *improved* on its performance.

(I don't know all that much about the other two, so I'll let others cover that.)

Comment

Frost, Derosiers, and Johnson all took over programs that were coming off 20+ win seasons. Only Derraugh had to turn a team around. All four have improved on what they inherited.
            "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
            And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

You people are missing the obvious: WI & MN are home teams, so Roque or Clark against Clarkson's top line?
              the beauty there is that if one isn't working to his advantage, he has another choice
              I am totally unfamiliar with Cornell, but Frost has the same thing going there, in fact has more choices

in the final WI will be the home team (if they make it) and given the history against MN (if they make it), the home team ( as opposed to whether it is in Madison or Mpls) often is the difference

Comment

Who is making the trip down? I will be at the final and the Kaz brunch.
                Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
                Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
                Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
                  You people are missing the obvious: WI & MN are home teams, so Roque or Clark against Clarkson's top line? the beauty there is that if one isn't working to his advantage, he has another choice
                  I am totally unfamiliar with Cornell, but Frost has the same thing going there, in fact has more choices

in the final WI will be the home team (if they make it) and given the history against MN (if they make it), the home team ( as opposed to whether it is in Madison or Mpls) often is the difference
                  We have been trying to get to the finer points, it's only Monday, so there's lots of time to get to the obvious. Yes, that is huge for UW against Clarkson, but I'd bet MJ goes with the Clark line against Clarkson's bigs. Clarkson's top line is by far the scariest of the 4 teams. The 2 Sr's have to be the bigs in this game and Mauerman is uber fast, fearless despite her small size and has plenty of experience. I'm not sure I'd want two Fr wings going against their bigs. It may only take one mistake to lose and I'd rather die with 2 Sr's on point than 2 Fr.

A curveball will be the availability of Cogan. She could end up on the 1st line in Mauerman's place, then she goes back to the 3rd, then Schneider back to the 4th. Or she might take Schneider's spot on the 3rd line. She spot played Saturday including the PK and she was charged up with lots of energy.

If it's a MN UW final, I don't think it matters that UW has the last change, UW did just fine without it a few weeks ago.
                  Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                  ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                  Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                  "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                  Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

So what is the seating capacity of the rink they are playing at?

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                      So what is the seating capacity of the rink they are playing at?
                      3,386 seats for hockey

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/People%27s_United_Center
                      Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
                      And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
                      WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
                      If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

My head says Wisconsin if only very, very slightly, but my heart says Minnesota so I'm going with my heart. Besides, if I picked Wisconsin and Minnesota won that would be really bad and it is Minnesota's turn to win following the season's series with them.
                        "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

Originally posted by bluffrinkrat View Post
                          My head says Wisconsin if only very, very slightly, but my heart says Minnesota so I'm going with my heart. Besides, if I picked Wisconsin and Minnesota won that would be really bad and it is Minnesota's turn to win following the season's series with them.
                          Never go against your head. Never. Being a realist saves you a lot of emotional scars. That's what my therapist tells me anyway. If only she would stop prescribing me thinner.

Comment

Never go against your head. Never. Being a realist saves you a lot of emotional scars. That's what my therapist tells me anyway. If only she would stop prescribing me thinner.
                            Probably, but I would need therapy if I picked Wisconsin and Minnesota won. Besides, it's a done deal and like Michael Buble' I'm feeling good.
                            Last edited by bluffrinkrat; 03-19-2019, 08:48 AM.
                            "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

Being a realist saves you a lot of emotional scars.
                              Ugh
                              Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
                              Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
                              Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

The 2 Sr's have to be the bigs in this game and Mauerman is uber fast, fearless despite her small size and has plenty of experience. I'm not sure I'd want two Fr wings going against their bigs. It may only take one mistake to lose and I'd rather die with 2 Sr's on point than 2 Fr.
                                MJ went with three freshman a couple years ago against the MN top line and lost in the semifinal in one of the highest octane games I have ever seen

If it's a MN UW final, I don't think it matters that UW has the last change, UW did just fine without it a few weeks ago.
                                true, but past performance is no guarantee of future results
                                in fact this year the last game winner has been the next game loser

Comment

Working...
                                X