Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Wildcats 2019 Offseason - How Much Progress Did We Really Make This Past Season?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2019 Offseason - How Much Progress Did We Really Make This Past Seas

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
    Darn important...funny how people were 'meh' about him when he was being acquired. Thank G for Charlie Coyle...I dunno about these Bruins...so hot and cold...hmmm
    They can't quite seem to find their identity. They're skating a thin line (see what I did there? ) between getting caught up in the rough stuff and shying away to avoid injury. The bottom line is that now they are really beat up and might not have enough of a team to finish this off. I don't think it's "theirs to lose" anymore. Looks like they're down to four d-men, two of whom will be woefully inexperienced in the playoffs. It seems to be the nature of this team that they back off when they get a little comfortable. They need to play with more urgency. The mistake they are making is thinking that they can "turn it on" in a Game 7, which they probably could, assuming they have a roster left. I'm a little surprised that they didn't take note of the fact that the Blues won their previous series(s) by attrition, wearing down their opponents. The B's goal (pun intended) should have been to FINISH this thing as quickly as possible. The way you do that is to not take your foot off the gas and demoralize this team. They didn't, and now I'm not sure that they can.

Comment

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2019 Offseason - How Much Progress Did We Really Make This Past Seas

Originally posted by chickod View Post
      They can't quite seem to find their identity. They're skating a thin line (see what I did there? ) between getting caught up in the rough stuff and shying away to avoid injury. The bottom line is that now they are really beat up and might not have enough of a team to finish this off. I don't think it's "theirs to lose" anymore. Looks like they're down to four d-men, two of whom will be woefully inexperienced in the playoffs. It seems to be the nature of this team that they back off when they get a little comfortable. They need to play with more urgency. The mistake they are making is thinking that they can "turn it on" in a Game 7, which they probably could, assuming they have a roster left. I'm a little surprised that they didn't take note of the fact that the Blues won their previous series(s) by attrition, wearing down their opponents. The B's goal (pun intended) should have been to FINISH this thing as quickly as possible. The way you do that is to not take your foot off the gas and demoralize this team. They didn't, and now I'm not sure that they can.
      Could there be blood in the water? Maybe, most likely. How they rebound (in Boston) is huge. Blues win the next, I'd say it's over. Maybe being too much of an alarmist, but, for the Boston sports reporters to say it was over the other day in the 7-2 victory me thinks was pre-mature. Guess we'll find out!!! Needless to say I'm glad I balked at buying a 600.00 ticket to sit in the nose bleeds to watch them win the Cup...
      Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Could there be blood in the water?
        Absolutely there is. The Bruins will have to dig deep and find the will to take hits and make plays.

I'm glad I balked at buying a 600.00 ticket to sit in the nose bleeds to watch them win the Cup
        As for the tickets, it would have been nice for them to win this at home, since they haven't since 1970 ('72 and '11 were won on the road). The only way that can happen now is if it goes to Game 7.

Comment

While I don't disagree with anything you have said, IMO if St. Louis wins this series it will set hockey back thirty years.

All I know it this. I watch ALL of those World Junior, World Championship, U-18 and Olympic games played on the larger surface (see, that's what makes this post relevant to UNH ) and it's a MUCH better game. A game that features speed and skill. I thought that's what the league wanted, because they wanted to grow the game. It's the future. But apparently not. And, the ironic thing is, the Bruins spent decades branding themselves as the rough, tough, big, bad team and THEY are the ones that finally came into the modern era by obtaining speed and skill, only to lose to a team like they used to be? And don't tell me about Krug's hit, because he didn't elbow the guy in the head. It was DELIBERATE. Unless Sundqvist thought by raising his elbow he was going to hit him in the knees...
          Remember who first warned you guys about the under-the-radar Blues a few weeks ago.

Anyway … listen, with all due respect, some of this commentary was getting out a little too far over its skis already, before last night's game. The idea that the B's have transformed into this fast, skillsy team is honestly a little wishful thinking. That's only true if you're measuring them against B's teams of the past. This year, right now, the B's are only the 3rd most talented team in their own division (behind TB and Toronto). I think you admitted somewhere amidst the last two pages of softball-related posts that the B's got here because they wore down their playoff opponents too. And FWIW, this year's B's team can't hold a candle to the 2011 Stanley Cup champs talent-wise.

As far as the idea of the Blues "setting hockey back 30 years" or whatever … please. It hasn't been all that long ago that the LA Kings won two Cups in three years playing a similar brand of hockey, and the aforementioned '11 B's will never be remembered for their high skill level either. Truth be told, the second we got to the semifinals (and arguably to the quarterfinals), we already knew the Finals would involve two of the least skills-dominant teams in at least 5 years, maybe more. Hockey has survived the Kings, it's survived the Devils, it's survived the frickin' Broad Street Bullies ... and it will survive the winner of this series, too.

I think the B's do have the more skilled team of the two. But as those folks who felt compelled to point out to me earlier, the DRW dynasty only began once they got practical and realized they needed to toughen up. Their two teams before the '97 Cup were arguably the most talented teams of that era … but they got exposed in the playoffs when the Devils and the Avs brought the heavy lumber in May and June. Babcock is learning that right now in Toronto (although he should already have known that from his days in Anaheim) … and ironically, his GM (Shanahan) is one of the guys who DRW brought in to toughen up to start winning Cups at the turn of the century. TB (and its ex-GM Yzerman) also surprisingly didn't fully digest that lesson yet either.

The B's are still a physical-enough team - ask Toronto, CBJ and Carolina. The big problem is, as you've outlined (and as I've stated before) … the longer the series goes on, the more it's tilting towards the Blues. I've seen this movie before. If I were a B's fan … I would be hoping and praying that Jacobs right now is emptying his wallet and resources to find some way to keep Zdeno Chara in action for the duration. How the B's play with - and then by contrast without - him to back up their physical play was there for all to see over the final 30 or so minutes Monday night. If his jaw is broken, they'd better wire that sucker up and put him on major league painkillers, and pray he'll put himself at risk. It may make all the difference.

I predicted either the B's in 6 or the Blues in 7. I'm sticking with that, but leaning slightly towards the latter.
          Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
          Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

So, just like that we have gone from "The Bruins series to lose" to "Blues in 7."

"Over? Who said over? Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Nooooo!"

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
              So, just like that we have gone from "The Bruins series to lose" to "Blues in 7."

"Over? Who said over? Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Nooooo!"
              It has been the B's Cup to lose, ever since they got past Toronto, and all the other top contenders were out in the same round. The B's executed the next two rounds flawlessly. Nothing changed. All that was left in the West was San Jose - which is basically an older, slower version of the Leafs - Winnipeg, Dallas and St. Louis. There was no reason to believe any of those four teams would be able to match up with the B's. But St. Louis managed to find its way past Ben Bishop (a/k/a Duncan the walrus goalie from the GEICO ads) in the conference semis, and they ground down the talented-yet-flawed Sharks in the conference finals.

A lot of folks around these here parts - and several on this thread - were dismissive of the Blues. Heck, even I didn't think they had enough to win this series. Was I rooting for them? Yes. Did I think they would make this a competitive series. Yes. Did I think they would win? No. Classic head vs. heart situation, no doubt. The caveat was always - and to his credit, I think our BU friend chickod has mentioned this recently - that it was increasingly obvious that the Blues were not going to back down from the B's (unlike their last two just-glad-to-be-here opponents), and the sooner the B's could see off the Blues, the less likely it would become a war of attrition.

The B's could afford to lose Matt Grzelyck (sp?). What they couldn't afford to lose was Zdeno Chara.

And now, due to a stroke of luck - on top of the wear 'em down physical play of SLB - Chara may be out.

IF Chara is able to play effectively, I still think the B's more probably than not find a way to win this.

IF Chara is able to play, but not up to his usual (42 y.o.) standard, it becomes a 50-50 coin flip. The Blues have to at least respect the possibility that Chara will come to the aid of teammates when the Blues ramp up the physicality. I think we saw what happens when he's not around, late in Game 4.

IF Chara is unable to finish this series, I truly believe the B's are in a world of hurt. He may not be the same player he was even 2-3 years ago, but he allows his teammates to play bigger and braver. Not to mention, he's still a legitimate top pairing guy and those do not grow on trees. Guys like Moore or Kampfer, or worse yet unproven youngsters like Vaakanainen or Lauzon are not what you want to see in these kinds of games.

It looks like Chara's broken jaw has pretty much been confirmed. As I said the other day, if they can wire that thing up and load him up with painkillers, he'll probably give it a go. It would be heroic, and the guy would cement his legacy if somehow he can pull it off and ride off into the sunset with the Cup.

There may be other shoes yet to drop, but it's been a compelling series, and it could become even more compelling tomorrow night. I wouldn't be surprised to see the B's downplay Chara's chances of playing … and then see him skating out there for the opening faceoff, Willis Reed style circa 1970.

Game 5 could be the irresistible force vs. the unmovable object. Neither team will go easy. Can't wait.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                Breaking down the series within the series, I'd expect the Bruins to win at least two of the next three games (hypothetically, splitting in STL and winning Game 5) leaving them with two chances to close out the Cup (and they've been great in close out games this post-season - Tuuka in particular). So finishing it off in six still makes sense to me...
                Nothing has changed...
                Live Free or Die!!
                Miami University '03

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post

There is naught more vile than a fickle tongue...

.... old Norse saying
                  Signature line intentionally left blank.

Comment

First off...I was/am not dismissive of the Blues. It's obvious they are a decent team I mean heck. That said, I'm not overly impressed with them either but they do find ways to win games and obviously can get the job done. I still believe the Bruins can win the Cup but the D issue is looming large and the top six has to play a more consistent game. Prediction: whomever wins tonight wins it! Game on!
                    Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

First off...I was/am not dismissive of the Blues. It's obvious they are a decent team I mean heck. That said, I'm not overly impressed with them either but they do find ways to win games and obviously can get the job done. I still believe the Bruins can win the Cup but the D issue is looming large and the top six has to play a more consistent game. Prediction: whomever wins tonight wins it! Game on!
                      You do realize that several NHL teams could use the bolded description above to describe the B's, right?

Two are in the B's division, two more in the conference. And they're all eliminated from the playoffs right now. There's something to be said about teams that "can get the job done". That's what impresses me.

It's a lesson UNH Hockey hopefully learns ... someday.

No worries, HR … just having a little offseason hockey fun. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. You predicted the last series right on the nose, so now you are the gold standard the rest of us are trying to measure up to.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                        You do realize that several NHL teams could use the bolded description above to describe the B's, right?

Two are in the B's division, two more in the conference. And they're all eliminated from the playoffs right now. There's something to be said about teams that "can get the job done". That's what impresses me.

It's a lesson UNH Hockey hopefully learns ... someday.

No worries, HR … just having a little offseason hockey fun. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. You predicted the last series right on the nose, so now you are the gold standard the rest of us are trying to measure up to.
                        Absolutely...haha gold standard, yes, that's me. I do know a few more things about the game largely thanks to you guys! I know it's all in fun...but I still hope the B's pull it off
                        Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Well that play by Bozak was a disgrace. But it sums up this series. Congratulations NHL. You’ve gone back to the 1950’s. Hope you’re all happy.

Comment

Well that play by Bozak was a disgrace. But it sums up this series. Congratulations NHL. You’ve gone back to the 1950’s. Hope you’re all happy.
                            Total slew-foot. Horrible oversight. But that's the NHL~!

Comment

I am not happy with the missed tripping call either. And, I agree that the NHL officials are horrible. And, I will not complain about HEA officials any longer. But, I do not think that the officials were the difference in game 5 or the series. Rather, the Blues are simply a better team, and have been since January 1st.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                                I am not happy with the missed tripping call either. And, I agree that the NHL officials are horrible. And, I will not complain about HEA officials any longer. But, I do not think that the officials were the difference in game 5 or the series. Rather, the Blues are simply a better team, and have been since January 1st.
                                Well they (the Blues) are certainly the more cohesive bunch out there. Too much inconsistency among the top six....damaged goods on the D. There's nothing spectacular about the Blues (IMHO) they are just plugging along; getting the job done obviously. Would agree the officiating reeks and that's not the difference in the game (although that trip on Accari...hello?????) But you'd think the B's would rally around their Captain who's out there with a broken jaw doing what he can. I put this on the top line, 100%....and, will give credit to the smothering (and at times down right illegal; didn't know you could grab a player by the neck and yank them down...) play and forecheck of the Blues to stymie them. No sour grapes here; just disappointment...
                                Last edited by HockeyRef; 06-07-2019, 07:49 AM.
                                Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Working...
                                X