Page 37 of 51 FirstFirst ... 272829303132333435363738394041424344454647 ... LastLast
Results 721 to 740 of 1002

Thread: UNH Wildcats 2019 Offseason - How Much Progress Did We Really Make This Past Season?

  1. #721
    Go 'cats!
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Manchester, NH
    Posts
    1,620

    Re: UNH Wildcats 2019 Offseason - How Much Progress Did We Really Make This Past Seas

    College hockey talent search: UNH's Souza subscribes to 'trusting your eyes':
    https://www.unionleader.com/sports/c...30d39dee9.html
    I will not be out cheered in my own building.

  2. #722
    Au revoir and adieu, Les Expos
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Effingwoods NH
    Posts
    12,854

    Re: UNH Wildcats 2019 Offseason - How Much Progress Did We Really Make This Past Seas

    Quote Originally Posted by Darius View Post
    College hockey talent search: UNH's Souza subscribes to 'trusting your eyes':
    https://www.unionleader.com/sports/c...30d39dee9.html
    Thanks for sharing, Darius. Nice, informative piece. I did find it a little ironic that he stressed the importance of skating in the modern hockey player., when it was probably skating that kept Souza himself from getting beyond the AHL and into The Show.

    "Trusting your eyes" runs counter to the analytics community's mantra, but I agree - good for MS7!
    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
    Montreal Expos Forever ...

  3. #723
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Once upon a time, Jax , Florida but now somewhere in the Lakes Region of NH
    Posts
    5,400

    Re: UNH Wildcats 2019 Offseason - How Much Progress Did We Really Make This Past Seas

    Couple of newsworthy items: NO Maine home game this season. In the near future UNH Athletics will announce a travel package for the Belfast games. Schedule supposedly to be announced first to STH’s...

  4. #724
    msprice
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Newfields
    Posts
    63

    Re: UNH Wildcats 2019 Offseason - How Much Progress Did We Really Make This Past Seas

    interesting article and comments about TVR
    https://www.canescountry.com/2019/6/...ricanes-review

  5. #725
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Once upon a time, Jax , Florida but now somewhere in the Lakes Region of NH
    Posts
    5,400

    Re: UNH Wildcats 2019 Offseason - How Much Progress Did We Really Make This Past Seas

    Quote Originally Posted by msprice View Post
    interesting article and comments about TVR
    https://www.canescountry.com/2019/6/...ricanes-review
    thanks for sharing! Some, perhaps many, could say his absence in the B's round cost them. Keep on trucking TvR!
    Let's Go SouzaCats!

  6. #726
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Thornton, NH
    Posts
    6,454
    Quote Originally Posted by HockeyRef View Post
    thanks for sharing! Some, perhaps many, could say his absence in the B's round cost them. Keep on trucking TvR!
    Maybe TvR will sign with the Flyers for 2020-2021 season, and maybe BvR will have break out season with NU Huskies and get drafted by Flyers. Would make things easier for vR parents if all three vR sons were playing for same NHL team.

  7. #727
    Au revoir and adieu, Les Expos
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Effingwoods NH
    Posts
    12,854

    Re: UNH Wildcats 2019 Offseason - How Much Progress Did We Really Make This Past Seas

    Quote Originally Posted by Snively65 View Post
    Maybe TvR will sign with the Flyers for 2020-2021 season, and maybe BvR will have break out season with NU Huskies and get drafted by Flyers. Would make things easier for vR parents if all three vR sons were playing for same NHL team.
    I'm sure Chuck "Thanks Dad" Fletcher is at it 24/7 to figure out ways to make the vR parents' lives easier.

    I know you're kinda funnin' around with this, but the Flyers' problem is they don't have enough top-line talent anywhere in their organization. The last thing they need is another 3rd pairing guy.

    Plus, BvR will be playing in The Show when pigs fly. Not to be mean, but having watched him play these last three seasons, the thought never so much as entered my mind that "hey - this kid will be an NHL player someday". As with the Kariyas, the younger they got, the less talented they were. I'll say this much - between the Kariya and vR families, the only clear overachiever out of the six of them has been TvR. He's really the only one of the younger four who supports any special "bloodlines" claims here.
    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
    Montreal Expos Forever ...

  8. #728
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Thornton, NH
    Posts
    6,454

    Re: UNH Wildcats 2019 Offseason - How Much Progress Did We Really Make This Past Seas

    According to recent post on Nodak off-season thread, UNH 13th in average home attendance in 2018-2019 with 4735, behind UMass-Flagship at 4876 and ahead of UML at 4615 (only HEA teams in top 14); Nodak first at 11,308.

  9. #729
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Fitchburg, MA
    Posts
    4,259

    Re: UNH Wildcats 2019 Offseason - How Much Progress Did We Really Make This Past Seas

    Hey, Chuck, you'll love this. According to "reports," the Tampa Bay Rays are "exploring" becoming a "two city" franchise and splitting home games between Tampa and Montreal. I'll take "Moronic Ideas" for $200, Alex. But...the silver lining could be this. Why don't they just MOVE there? I mean, NOBODY goes in Tampa anyway. Now I know it's not the Expos that you knew and loved, but I've always felt that with a "decent" stadium (not that gargantuan Olympic thing) they could become a successful franchise.

  10. #730
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Thornton, NH
    Posts
    6,454
    Quote Originally Posted by chickod View Post
    Hey, Chuck, you'll love this. According to "reports," the Tampa Bay Rays are "exploring" becoming a "two city" franchise and splitting home games between Tampa and Montreal. I'll take "Moronic Ideas" for $200, Alex. But...the silver lining could be this. Why don't they just MOVE there? I mean, NOBODY goes in Tampa anyway. Now I know it's not the Expos that you knew and loved, but I've always felt that with a "decent" stadium (not that gargantuan Olympic thing) they could become a successful franchise.
    I suppose one minor detail is that Devil Dogs have a lease of Tropicana Field signed through 2027.

  11. #731
    Au revoir and adieu, Les Expos
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Effingwoods NH
    Posts
    12,854

    Re: UNH Wildcats 2019 Offseason - How Much Progress Did We Really Make This Past Seas

    Quote Originally Posted by chickod View Post
    Hey, Chuck, you'll love this. According to "reports," the Tampa Bay Rays are "exploring" becoming a "two city" franchise and splitting home games between Tampa and Montreal. I'll take "Moronic Ideas" for $200, Alex. But...the silver lining could be this. Why don't they just MOVE there? I mean, NOBODY goes in Tampa anyway. Now I know it's not the Expos that you knew and loved, but I've always felt that with a "decent" stadium (not that gargantuan Olympic thing) they could become a successful franchise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Snively65 View Post
    I suppose one minor detail is that Devil Dogs have a lease of Tropicana Field signed through 2027.
    Yeah, I saw those reports, and it's hard not to get pulled in and excited about the possibilities. I do know the Bronfman family (original Expos owners, based on money from their Seagram's ownership) and a couple of other local partners recently bought a parcel of land in Montreal targeted for future stadium development. So there has been movement behind the scenes, and word is that TB owner Stu Sternberg would bring in the Bronfmans and their partners (Mitch Garber being one) as minority owners IF this plan takes off. The folks in TB shot down a plan last year for a new ballpark in the Ybor City district, and attendance is now 29th in MLB despite having a winning team (again) which improbably looks to be in playoff contention again this season.

    It feels like a leverage ploy by Sternberg and MLB. I wasn't too happy ("incensed" would be a more accurate description) when MLB and the Loria/Samson carpetbagging duo was sandbagging Les Expos, so I do want to be careful not to be a hypocrite here. If it's going to happen any time before 2028 - full-time or otherwise - someone is going to have to deal with the Rays' lease on Tropicana Field. But if Sternberg wants out, and the Bronfmans and their partners are motivated, buying out the lease shouldn't be a huge obstacle - certainly a drop in the bucket compared to the costs of building a new stade in Montreal, since MLB has been quite clear that they're not going to support a return to Montreal if the solution is Stade Olympique.

    I did get a small tear in my eye today, though. It's been almost 15 years since I saw the finale of Les Expos at Le Stade. I've always hoped to live long enough to see the official return - not these annual Blue Jay final-exhibition-of-the-spring sideshows, which I've avoided to date.

    Hope, as they say, springs eternal.
    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
    Montreal Expos Forever ...

  12. #732
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    At the beach
    Posts
    4,602

    Re: UNH Wildcats 2019 Offseason - How Much Progress Did We Really Make This Past Seas

    Quote Originally Posted by chickod View Post
    Hey, Chuck, you'll love this. According to "reports," the Tampa Bay Rays are "exploring" becoming a "two city" franchise and splitting home games between Tampa and Montreal. I'll take "Moronic Ideas" for $200, Alex. But...the silver lining could be this. Why don't they just MOVE there? I mean, NOBODY goes in Tampa anyway. Now I know it's not the Expos that you knew and loved, but I've always felt that with a "decent" stadium (not that gargantuan Olympic thing) they could become a successful franchise.
    It will end up being a larger scale failure ala Brooklyn/Uniondale, bad concept.
    YALE HOCKEY
    2013 National Champions

  13. #733
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Thornton, NH
    Posts
    6,454
    Quote Originally Posted by Snively65 View Post
    According to recent post on Nodak off-season thread, UNH 13th in average home attendance in 2018-2019 with 4735, behind UMass-Flagship at 4876 and ahead of UML at 4615 (only HEA teams in top 14); Nodak first at 11,308.
    With all the kvetching about attendance at da Whitt the past few seasons, I woulda thought that these numbers might have sparked some discussion? :-)

  14. #734
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Thornton, NH
    Posts
    6,454
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Murray View Post
    Yeah, I saw those reports, and it's hard not to get pulled in and excited about the possibilities. I do know the Bronfman family (original Expos owners, based on money from their Seagram's ownership) and a couple of other local partners recently bought a parcel of land in Montreal targeted for future stadium development. So there has been movement behind the scenes, and word is that TB owner Stu Sternberg would bring in the Bronfmans and their partners (Mitch Garber being one) as minority owners IF this plan takes off. The folks in TB shot down a plan last year for a new ballpark in the Ybor City district, and attendance is now 29th in MLB despite having a winning team (again) which improbably looks to be in playoff contention again this season.

    It feels like a leverage ploy by Sternberg and MLB. I wasn't too happy ("incensed" would be a more accurate description) when MLB and the Loria/Samson carpetbagging duo was sandbagging Les Expos, so I do want to be careful not to be a hypocrite here. If it's going to happen any time before 2028 - full-time or otherwise - someone is going to have to deal with the Rays' lease on Tropicana Field. But if Sternberg wants out, and the Bronfmans and their partners are motivated, buying out the lease shouldn't be a huge obstacle - certainly a drop in the bucket compared to the costs of building a new stade in Montreal, since MLB has been quite clear that they're not going to support a return to Montreal if the solution is Stade Olympique.

    I did get a small tear in my eye today, though. It's been almost 15 years since I saw the finale of Les Expos at Le Stade. I've always hoped to live long enough to see the official return - not these annual Blue Jay final-exhibition-of-the-spring sideshows, which I've avoided to date.

    Hope, as they say, springs eternal.
    I just heard that the Tampa Bay / Montreal MLB team will be renamed the X-Rays.

  15. #735
    Au revoir and adieu, Les Expos
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Effingwoods NH
    Posts
    12,854

    Re: UNH Wildcats 2019 Offseason - How Much Progress Did We Really Make This Past Seas

    Quote Originally Posted by LTsatch View Post
    It will end up being a larger scale failure ala Brooklyn/Uniondale, bad concept.
    I think a lot of folks are feeling the same way. TBH I'm not that excited by the one team/two homes concept, either. What does get me a little bit excited is that a lot of hush-hush things I've been privy to recently (courtesy of some long-standing contacts up there) are starting to come out into the light more and more, bit by bit. For example, the Sternberg/Bronfman thing, it's the first time I've seen that in print for general consumption, but it's fairly common local (i.e. the Montreal baseball community) knowledge that SS has been checking the pulse up north for a few years now, while trying his best to get the TB stadium situation across the goal line (which hasn't worked). Presumably Sternberg didn't want to poison his current home market against him by openly playing footsie with folks from out of town. That approach made Jeffrey Loria and his stepson Ennemi Public #1 et #2 in Quebec 20 years ago. He's still saying the right things to keep the TB fanbase and politicos in place, but actions speak louder than words, so with MLB letting this all come out, the new commish is doing Sternberg's dirty work for him. So far, anyway.

    Reading the tea leaves, to me, it seems like MLB, SS and the Rays are upping the ante and testing the waters. Their current strategy in TB/SP clearly isn't working, and the same deadly combination of lack of investment in the on-field product and a poor indoor facility for a summer sport that doomed Les Expos now threatens to kill the remaining TB/SP fanbase, to the point where a new facility can't be justified down there. The key for Montreal is to get shovels into the ground ASAP for a new MLB facility, and that would turn the heat up big-time on TB to do something before SS simply decides to buy out his lease in SP. The tricky part will be getting Montreal to start work on a stadium, without some high degree of assurances from MLB that it won't be sitting vacant like the new NHL-quality arena that's sitting pro-idle over in Quebec.

    Montreal would likely only go for a team-sharing thing if they knew they'd be getting a full-time team in the end. Long-term, we know the concept of two-site shared teams isn't going to work (can you say Kansas City-Omaha Kings, anyone?), so this is just a step to either light a fire under TB and/or to get Montreal and its provincial government excited enough to buy in and create leverage to put the squeeze on TB/SP. But like I said earlier, the compelling thing for an estranged Expos fan like me is that suddenly, a lot of things previously kept behind closed doors is now being put out into the mainstream for general consumption. The MBP moves on.
    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
    Montreal Expos Forever ...

  16. #736
    Au revoir and adieu, Les Expos
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Effingwoods NH
    Posts
    12,854

    Re: UNH Wildcats 2019 Offseason - How Much Progress Did We Really Make This Past Seas

    Quote Originally Posted by Snively65 View Post
    I just heard that the Tampa Bay / Montreal MLB team will be renamed the X-Rays.
    Yeah, I saw that a half-dozen times yesterday from various commentators. It will never become the official team nickname, but it's a pretty clever pun that will become very tiresome very quickly to folks in both impacted cities. It's just a snarky derisive term meant to belittle the franchise, and two cities that have struggled at times to support MLB to the level its true believers think they're entitled to.

    Folks in baseball strongholds like New York, Boston, St. Loo and Philly can't conceive of how a great baseball city could ever lose a team ...
    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
    Montreal Expos Forever ...

  17. #737
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Once upon a time, Jax , Florida but now somewhere in the Lakes Region of NH
    Posts
    5,400

    Re: UNH Wildcats 2019 Offseason - How Much Progress Did We Really Make This Past Seas

    Wildcat/Bruins fans will get a look at first round Bruins pick Johnny Beecher when the Wolverines come to the 'Whit Nov 22/23...he will be an incoming Freshmen.
    Let's Go SouzaCats!

  18. #738
    Black Bear since D-2
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Central New York
    Posts
    4,503

    Re: UNH Wildcats 2019 Offseason - How Much Progress Did We Really Make This Past Seas

    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Murray View Post
    Yeah, I saw that a half-dozen times yesterday from various commentators. It will never become the official team nickname, but it's a pretty clever pun that will become very tiresome very quickly to folks in both impacted cities. It's just a snarky derisive term meant to belittle the franchise, and two cities that have struggled at times to support MLB to the level its true believers think they're entitled to.

    Folks in baseball strongholds like New York, Boston, St. Loo and Philly can't conceive of how a great baseball city could ever lose a team ...
    What has amazed me for some years now is how Tampa has competed vigorously with a very low payroll and no fan-support.

    The Rays have the lowest ERA in the AL right now. Exceptional starting pitching, and a solid 'pen. I wouldn't bet against them v. my Sox in a playoff series.

  19. #739
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Thornton, NH
    Posts
    6,454
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishman'81 View Post
    What has amazed me for some years now is how Tampa has competed vigorously with a very low payroll and no fan-support.

    The Rays have the lowest ERA in the AL right now. Exceptional starting pitching, and a solid 'pen. I wouldn't bet against them v. my Sox in a playoff series.
    No worries, as Sox not looking like a playoff team this year.

    And, maybe neither three of the Cats, Catamounts, Warriors, and Black Bears either (just to keep this thread on track).

  20. #740
    Au revoir and adieu, Les Expos
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Effingwoods NH
    Posts
    12,854

    Re: UNH Wildcats 2019 Offseason - How Much Progress Did We Really Make This Past Seas

    Quote Originally Posted by Fishman'81 View Post
    What has amazed me for some years now is how Tampa has competed vigorously with a very low payroll and no fan-support.

    The Rays have the lowest ERA in the AL right now. Exceptional starting pitching, and a solid 'pen. I wouldn't bet against them v. my Sox in a playoff series.
    Sadly for my fellow fans in hibernation north of the border, even if this does come to pass in some way, it won't be soon enough for the current iteration of the Rays' roster to still be with the team by then. Snell and others will be well on their way to greener pastures (maybe even Boston) well before then.

    The more I think of this, the more I believe this is MLB's way of creating a contest to see which of Tampa Bay and Montreal they can force into starting a stadium project first. Winner gets the franchise.

    The lease in St. Pete runs through the 2027 season. Buying it out now would likely be prohibitively expensive, but every year closer to expiration, it gets more and more fiscally feasible.

    Personally, I've always been a National League guy, so landing in the AL East would not be something I'm looking forward to. But beggars can't be choosers, and having a division with their natural/national rivals in Toronto would be terrific. My guess is we may see a larger reshuffling of divisions once MLB expands to 32 teams, and having Montreal and Toronto in the same division, plus one of the NY teams (and possibly Boston) would at least create natural rivalries that would help keep Montrealers' interests, in ways that Atlanta, Miami, and Philadelphia couldn't in the late stages of the original Expos' existence.

    I only hope to live long enough to see baseball again in Montreal. It's fun at least considering it again.
    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
    Montreal Expos Forever ...

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •