Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Wildcats 2019 Offseason - How Much Progress Did We Really Make This Past Season?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
    Didn't want to let too much time pass before posting my condolences on the loss of John "Hondo" Havlicek, who was one of my sports heroes back in the '70's. Back during a time (probably the only time) when the Celts-Knicks was THE prime Boston vs. NY sports rivalry, Havlicek was the go-to guy for those teams, and was pretty much the last on-court holdover from the Russell era (excluding head coach Tommy Heinsohn). Havlicek could run forever, played well into his late 30's, and had previously also been drafted by a guy named Paul Brown for the NFL Browns - back when they were the gold standard in their sport, pre-Green Bay.

Those Havlicek-Cowens-Heinsohn teams were always my favorite Celts' teams, and so often are overlooked these days because of what came after them. But with 3 NBA titles in the '80's and two in the '70's, it was a closer call than many are aware, and Hondo ended up with about 8 rings, with his original success in the 6th man role in the latter half of the Russell era leading the way to his later post-Russell superstardom. IIRC, when the NBA and ABA merged late in his career, Sports Illustrated put Havlicek on its cover alongside Julius "Dr. J" Erving as the most prominent stars of their respective leagues. That's how big he was, and while I don't think it ever bothered him, I always thought he was overlooked in his retirement due to the Bird Era.

I know it's a college hockey forum, but this guy deserves plaudits. As modest and humble as they come.
    Nice tribute to Hondo, Chuck. I like how our threads drift from time to time.

Hondo played 16 seasons for the C's, Parish 14.

Trivia question: name all of the players with 13 seasons on C's teams.

Also, I have no idea for the answer to my last trivia question, who was the last UNH ice hockey player to clock a 4.0 cumulative GPA?
    Last edited by Snively65; 04-28-2019, 12:42 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
      Nice tribute to Hondo, Chuck. I like how our threads drift from time to time.

Hondo played 16 seasons for the C's, Parish 14.

Trivia question: name all of the players with 13 seasons on C's teams.

Also, I have no idea for the answer to my last trivia question, who was the last UNH ice hockey player to clock a 4.0 cumulative GPA?
      Probably too many to look up but most likely included Bob Cousy and Bill Russell.

Dan already answered Brad Flaishans.

Name the only C's player who had his own TV show?
      Last edited by e.cat; 04-28-2019, 02:49 PM.
      UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2019 Offseason - How Much Progress Did We Really Make This Past Seas

Not looking good for TvR...left game on the hit by Clutterbuck early on. Thinking shoulder...
        Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2019 Offseason - How Much Progress Did We Really Make This Past Seas

Foegel with a goal.

Comment

Foegele is putting together quite the postseason with the 'Canes.

Any more word on TvR?

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
              Foegele is putting together quite the postseason with the 'Canes.

Any more word on TvR?
              Called it an 'upper body' injury. He went off holding his arm...separated shoulder, broken clavicle, or something to that effect (only speculating). Two games in a row he suffers an injury and this one doesn't look good. 'Canes will be calling up some players perhaps Pots?? IF the Bruins can get their act together and if the 'Canes win this round they will up next!! (I think I have that right). Lots of 'ifs'...Meanwhile, Pesce continues to be a warrior out there!

Saw online that Kohei Sato is playing for Team Japan in the IIHF Hockey World Championships B Group...

Ps. In the presser after the game ‘Canes coach said TvR would not be returning “anytime soon”...
              Last edited by HockeyRef; 04-28-2019, 06:22 PM.
              Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                Called it an 'upper body' injury. He went off holding his arm...separated shoulder, broken clavicle, or something to that effect (only speculating). Two games in a row he suffers an injury and this one doesn't look good. 'Canes will be calling up some players perhaps Pots?? IF the Bruins can get their act together and if the 'Canes win this round they will up next!! (I think I have that right). Lots of 'ifs'...Meanwhile, Pesce continues to be a warrior out there!

Saw online that Kohei Sato is playing for Team Japan in the IIHF Hockey World Championships B Group...

Ps. In the presser after the game ‘Canes coach said TvR would not be returning “anytime soon”...

So, if they're down a defenseman … why would they call up a forward?

With all due respect, HR … AP's game is hardly suitable for playoff hockey at the top level.

You also don't call up a guy you've refused to call up all season, and plug him into playoff games.

I'm happy AP is playing well in the CC playoffs, but it's likely his audition for his next job/new team ...
                Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

So, if they're down a defenseman … why would they call up a forward?

With all due respect, HR … AP's game is hardly suitable for playoff hockey at the top level.

You also don't call up a guy you've refused to call up all season, and plug him into playoff games.

I'm happy AP is playing well in the CC playoffs, but it's likely his audition for his next job/new team ...
                  Down a forward for 10-14 days also, as Saku Maenalanen undergoing hand surgery. But, my guess is that fellow Finn and left shot Aleksi Saarela will be called up.

Also, 'Canes called up Clark Bishop for Game 2, his first time up this season. So, if another right shot forward goes down, I would not be surprised to see AP get called up.

Guessing that right shot D Man Roland McKeown might replace TvR, as Renouf, Carrick, and Bean are all left shots.

Perhaps our UNH-loaded 'Canes / Checkers will go all the way?
                  Last edited by Snively65; 04-28-2019, 09:23 PM.

Comment

Down a forward for 10-14 days also, as Saku Maenalanen undergoing hand surgery. But, my guess is that fellow Finn and left shot Aleksi Saarela will be called up.

Also, 'Canes called up Clark Bishop for Game 2, his first time up this season. So, if another right shot forward goes down, I would not be surprised to see AP get called up.

Guessing that right shot D Man Roland McKeown might replace TvR, as Renouf, Carrick, and Bean are all left shots.

Perhaps our UNH-loaded 'Canes / Checkers will go all the way?
                    Bishop played 20 games for Carolina earlier in the season, so it's not his first time up this season.

Also, I believe Svechnikov (sp?) is due to return to the line-up at some point later in the series.

I would be shocked to see AP called up. Guys like Bishop can cover 4th line duties, if needed.

Putting AP on a checking line in the midst of the NHL playoffs isn't going to happen, at least not with an organization that for all apparent indications has given up on him as a legit NHL prospect. If I'm wrong, add another frosty to my tab (not to mention a designated driver for the long trek back to Thornton).

Comment

Bishop played 20 games for Carolina earlier in the season, so it's not his first time up this season.

Also, I believe Svechnikov (sp?) is due to return to the line-up at some point later in the series.

I would be shocked to see AP called up. Guys like Bishop can cover 4th line duties, if needed.

Putting AP on a checking line in the midst of the NHL playoffs isn't going to happen, at least not with an organization that for all apparent indications has given up on him as a legit NHL prospect. If I'm wrong, add another frosty to my tab (not to mention a designated driver for the long trek back to Thornton).
                      Agreed that AP would not be called up to replace someone on a checking line, only a scoring line. So far this season, the Canes have been fairly injury-free on those lines. But, I think that it has been their top two D pairs that have them where they are, and I am thinking that they will go deeper than the B's this postseason.

Comment

Agreed that AP would not be called up to replace someone on a checking line, only a scoring line. So far this season, the Canes have been fairly injury-free on those lines. But, I think that it has been their top two D pairs that have them where they are, and I am thinking that they will go deeper than the B's this postseason.
                        I was chatting with a couple of pals at work separately at work yesterday, they both said the same thing. Lots of folks seem to be figuring Carolina is this year's "team of destiny". I'm getting the same sense with St. Louis out west, which is another under the radar team no one is really talking about.

I'm predicting a B's vs. Sharks SC Final. I'm not a B's fan, but I really think the Cup is theirs to lose.

AP is not getting a call-up, period. Unless a full line's worth of top six forwards is shelved, and even then, he might not dress. If he was ever going to get the call, it would have been when Svechnikov went down. He's just not figuring in the 'Canes' plans, short term OR long term. He's a talented kid, sure, but he's not talented enough to be a top six NHL guy, and he's not physical or responsible enough to be a bottom six guy either. I don't think it's a stretch to consider him this generation's Darren Haydar.

Rod Brind'Amour is a two time Selke Award winner as the NHL's best defensive forward, played 20 years in the league, and captained the 'Canes to Cup about a dozen years ago towards the end of his career. So he knows what it takes to have success in the postseason (I think he was with the '97 Flyers and '02 'Canes when they lost to DRW in the SCF), and he's doing that right now with a team that's had little success since their first/only Cup win. AP being marooned in Charlotte is not an accident.

Comment

• Originally posted by e.cat View Post
                          Name the only C's player who had his own TV show?
                          Chuck Connors - The Rifleman
                          CCT '77 & '78
                          4 kids
                          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
                            Chuck Connors - The Rifleman
                            Bingo
                            UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                              I'm predicting a B's vs. Sharks SC Final. I'm not a B's fan, but I really think the Cup is theirs to lose.
                              I'm hoping you're right, but if they don't get Pastrnak "straightened out" they're not going anywhere. It is at the point now where it's not only affecting him but everyone, because they have put him on three different lines to try to work out his problems.

Why do I get the feeling that he reinjured that hand? He can't hold the puck (not to mention he is very inaccurate when he DOES shoot or try to make a play)...you can breathe on him and he loses it. It won't stay on his stick (or as they say in hockey lingo, he's not "strong on the puck"). Obviously they are not going to admit anything at this point, but you don't go from being one of the most highly skilled players in the league the past two years to nothing for no reason...

Comment

Originally posted by e.cat View Post
                                Bingo
                                i believe that he also played professional baseball for a short while.

Comment

Working...
                                X