Page 21 of 51 FirstFirst ... 111213141516171819202122232425262728293031 ... LastLast
Results 401 to 420 of 1002

Thread: UNH Wildcats 2019 Offseason - How Much Progress Did We Really Make This Past Season?

  1. #401
    msprice
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Newfields
    Posts
    62

    Re: UNH Wildcats 2019 Offseason - How Much Progress Did We Really Make This Past Seas

    Brett Pesce third star of the game with nice interview after. On to game 7.

  2. #402
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    l'etat de granit
    Posts
    886
    Quote Originally Posted by HockeyRef View Post
    From what I understand UNH Athletics wants booster clubs to be aligned in a similar fashion whatever that means....
    Anyone know how FOWH has operated since BlueSkyz disbanded the real organization some years ago?

  3. #403
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Once upon a time, Jax , Florida but now somewhere in the Lakes Region of NH
    Posts
    5,311
    Quote Originally Posted by Aerman View Post
    Anyone know how FOWH has operated since BlueSkyz disbanded the real organization some years ago?
    Zoofer... if youíre listening....

  4. #404
    Au revoir and adieu, Les Expos
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Effingwoods NH
    Posts
    12,822

    Re: UNH Wildcats 2019 Offseason - How Much Progress Did We Really Make This Past Seas

    Wow … take a couple of days off, and even in the offseason, you can miss a lot of stuff.

    Sad to read about the apparent demise of the Men's FoH … when this program was at its best, there was a lot to be had through the FoH, and a lot of dedicated UNH hockey fans running the show. It seems to have slid backwards a little bit in recent seasons, not unlike the program they've supported. Can't say I'm all that surprised to see BS35+8 swooping in when they're down, and with Coach Umile out of the way, going for the kill shot. A fairly similar pattern played out almost the same way with FoWH and the departure of Coach McCloskey. I was given a lot of insight into the situation at the time (on the condition of confidentiality) by a lot of well-intentioned people, and it was eye-opening (and disappointing), to say the least. I'll leave it at that, unless others are comfortable chiming in to flesh out the further details that were shared with me confidentially.

    Things seem to be repeating themselves on the Men's side. Not surprising, the same guy is in charge, and timing-wise I find it fascinating that both instances occurred when long-time, old-guard coaches had just left the program, to be replaced by young coaches without the pull to defend long-standing FoH organizations.

    As far as end-of-season awards go, no big deal, but it occurs to me that *maybe* the recipients of these awards should enjoy a brief moment of public recognition for their efforts, rather than just slapping their name on the trophy/plaque and letting some bypassing fans on the concourse discover it by chance sometime next season. If this is the "new way" at UNH, it's regrettable.

    JMHO.
    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
    Montreal Expos Forever ...

  5. #405
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    199

    Re: UNH Wildcats 2019 Offseason - How Much Progress Did We Really Make This Past Seas

    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Murray View Post
    Wow Ö take a couple of days off, and even in the offseason, you can miss a lot of stuff.

    Sad to read about the apparent demise of the Men's FoH Ö when this program was at its best, there was a lot to be had through the FoH, and a lot of dedicated UNH hockey fans running the show. It seems to have slid backwards a little bit in recent seasons, not unlike the program they've supported. Can't say I'm all that surprised to see BS35+8 swooping in when they're down, and with Coach Umile out of the way, going for the kill shot. A fairly similar pattern played out almost the same way with FoWH and the departure of Coach McCloskey. I was given a lot of insight into the situation at the time (on the condition of confidentiality) by a lot of well-intentioned people, and it was eye-opening (and disappointing), to say the least. I'll leave it at that, unless others are comfortable chiming in to flesh out the further details that were shared with me confidentially.

    Things seem to be repeating themselves on the Men's side. Not surprising, the same guy is in charge, and timing-wise I find it fascinating that both instances occurred when long-time, old-guard coaches had just left the program, to be replaced by young coaches without the pull to defend long-standing FoH organizations.

    As far as end-of-season awards go, no big deal, but it occurs to me that *maybe* the recipients of these awards should enjoy a brief moment of public recognition for their efforts, rather than just slapping their name on the trophy/plaque and letting some bypassing fans on the concourse discover it by chance sometime next season. If this is the "new way" at UNH, it's regrettable.

    JMHO.
    Chuck, this appears a bit heavy on the FOH folks. I not sure that they went backwards as much as the fan base has gone backwards. As attendance fell, so did the audience and the overall passion of the crowds. I felt that we were on a collective rebuild this year in terms of attendance and general good will. I certainly hope that something that feels good to them can be salvaged. First off the FOH appear to have lost their ability to sell merchandise, what 5/6 years ago. Understand that it was probably viewed as a competition with the schools sales agreements etc. The 50/50 just goes along with the crowd, size and passion. The second half of this year, they were putting up some very strong 50/50 numbers. The addition of the student with the mic has helped across the board.
    And finally, fans want to know who on their team is being recognized and this years presentation was an embarrassment and lacked the recognition that they deserved. For folks sitting in the first 5 rows, you can't hear the public PA guy at all. The glass just blocks it out. They could ask us to claim our million dollar prize and it would go unclaimed.

  6. #406
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Once upon a time, Jax , Florida but now somewhere in the Lakes Region of NH
    Posts
    5,311

    Re: UNH Wildcats 2019 Offseason - How Much Progress Did We Really Make This Past Seas

    ATW having been in the org for a little while I would echo your sentiments that at least from my perspectives FOH has been a viable group providing tremendous monetary and fan support to the team. Maybe in UNhís big years things were different, but just from what I can see itís pretty substantial what they have provided. Things like: sscholarships, meals during winter break, upgrades to the locker room, summer session funds just to name a few.

  7. #407
    Au revoir and adieu, Les Expos
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Effingwoods NH
    Posts
    12,822

    Re: UNH Wildcats 2019 Offseason - How Much Progress Did We Really Make This Past Seas

    Quote Originally Posted by After the Whistle View Post
    Chuck, this appears a bit heavy on the FOH folks. I not sure that they went backwards as much as the fan base has gone backwards. As attendance fell, so did the audience and the overall passion of the crowds. I felt that we were on a collective rebuild this year in terms of attendance and general good will. I certainly hope that something that feels good to them can be salvaged. First off the FOH appear to have lost their ability to sell merchandise, what 5/6 years ago. Understand that it was probably viewed as a competition with the schools sales agreements etc. The 50/50 just goes along with the crowd, size and passion. The second half of this year, they were putting up some very strong 50/50 numbers. The addition of the student with the mic has helped across the board.
    And finally, fans want to know who on their team is being recognized and this years presentation was an embarrassment and lacked the recognition that they deserved. For folks sitting in the first 5 rows, you can't hear the public PA guy at all. The glass just blocks it out. They could ask us to claim our million dollar prize and it would go unclaimed.
    Just a quick note, ATW - I think you've taken some of my comments as being directed at FoH instead of the school/its AD, etc. I have nothing but respect and admiration for the volunteers with FoH - Men's or Women's (formerly). It bothers me - a lot - that something which used to be run by folks outside the program is basically being eliminated, so yet another piece of what used to be a great program with lots of grass-roots support out in the community comes under the direct influence of you-know-who.

    Given the state of so-called higher education these days, I'm not surprised, but I am disappointed.
    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
    Montreal Expos Forever ...

  8. #408
    Go 'cats!
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Manchester, NH
    Posts
    1,603

    Re: UNH Wildcats 2019 Offseason - How Much Progress Did We Really Make This Past Seas

    Quote Originally Posted by HockeyRef View Post
    From what I understand UNH Athletics wants booster clubs to be aligned in a similar fashion whatever that means.
    Yes. For 5+ years the U has been undergoing a P-Hudd initiative to consolidate functions and strategically align missions and communications. There have been growing pains, but the end results have been extremely positive.

    Quote Originally Posted by HockeyRef View Post
    Even last season it was going around that the 50/50 would not be a FOH gig next season.
    A significant change was the replacement of the hand torn paper tickets with ticket printing machines. These are shared by all the friends groups and ultimately controlled by UNH employees. For the most part the machines are much simpler to use vs. sellers tearing tickets. The HUGE plus is tracking and reporting sales with an audit trail. 50/50 cannot exist without FOH volunteer sellers.

    Quote Originally Posted by HockeyRef View Post
    Quite honestly I do not know how other “friends” groups operate but I do know the org I joined 4 years ago will not operate in the same manner going forward.
    Would love to hear Greg's thoughts on the org he joined 40+ years ago not operating in the same manner going forward.

    Quote Originally Posted by HockeyRef View Post
    I hear the annual golf tournament will happen this summer. The fun meetings after select games are not going to happen anymore; what, if anything will take their place is unknown (to me).
    My understanding is that the golf tournament is by far the FOH's biggest fund raiser. It also fosters good will between fans, former players, the business community, former and current staff. It is hard to imagine the tournament going away. See below for my post game meetings comment.

    Quote Originally Posted by HockeyRef View Post
    I still want to contribute to the team financially.
    For the past year or two, clicking the "Join" button on the Friends site was redirecting to the UNH Advancement giving page. It currently takes you to a page displaying "Information about membership for the 2019-20 season will be announced at a later date".

    Quote Originally Posted by HockeyRef View Post
    Maybe someone else will give more details. At the very least it should not be up to members of the FOH to set the record straight IMO...
    Why not?

    Quote Originally Posted by HockeyRef View Post
    ATW having been in the org for a little while I would echo your sentiments that at least from my perspectives FOH has been a viable group providing tremendous monetary and fan support to the team. Maybe in UNh’s big years things were different, but just from what I can see it’s pretty substantial what they have provided. Things like: sscholarships, meals during winter break, upgrades to the locker room, summer session funds just to name a few.
    No reason this has to end. If asked by the NCAA, the U needs to be able to say where the money came from and where it went.

    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Murray View Post
    Sad to read about the apparent demise of the Men's FoH
    Change = demise?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Murray View Post
    Can't say I'm all that surprised to see BS35+8 swooping in when they're down, and with Coach Umile out of the way, going for the kill shot.
    Oliver Stone is on it.

    Quote Originally Posted by After the Whistle View Post
    First off the FOH appear to have lost their ability to sell merchandise, what 5/6 years ago. Understand that it was probably viewed as a competition with the schools sales agreements etc.
    The FOH gave it up. Started because merchandise was not easily available, it was never a big money maker. With so many purchasing options now available, it was a service FOH no longer needed to provide.

    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Murray View Post
    As far as end-of-season awards go, no big deal, but it occurs to me that *maybe* the recipients of these awards should enjoy a brief moment of public recognition for their efforts, rather than just slapping their name on the trophy/plaque and letting some bypassing fans on the concourse discover it by chance sometime next season. If this is the "new way" at UNH, it's regrettable.
    Quote Originally Posted by After the Whistle View Post
    And finally, fans want to know who on their team is being recognized and this years presentation was an embarrassment and lacked the recognition that they deserved. For folks sitting in the first 5 rows, you can't hear the public PA guy at all. The glass just blocks it out. They could ask us to claim our million dollar prize and it would go unclaimed.
    Agreed, sort of. I never attended the banquet so I read about the awards, usually on this board, after the fact. I spent a few minutes looking for the 2018-19 awards on line with no luck. At a minimum there should be a story on unhwildcats.com. A better produced Senior Night production incorporating the video board would be ideal, but it would add time to the pregame presentations so the ceremony would have to begin earlier than it already does meaning even fewer fans in the building.

    >>>

    The big picture here is control (not a bad word) and compliance. I didn't hear about the FOH semester break team feed this year so maybe it is also a thing of the past. I also no longer hear of players being invited for meals in fans' homes. The bottom line is that a group of largely independent team supporters with a pile of cash mingling with student athletes for meals, post game meetings, etc. outside the control of the U is a compliance nightmare. My insight, gossip based with no confidentiality condition, has had me wondering for a while about the future of FOH. I am encouraged by what I am hearing.
    Last edited by Darius; 04-23-2019 at 12:28 PM.
    I will not be out cheered in my own building.

  9. #409
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Once upon a time, Jax , Florida but now somewhere in the Lakes Region of NH
    Posts
    5,311

    Re: UNH Wildcats 2019 Offseason - How Much Progress Did We Really Make This Past Seas

    Darius I appreciate your perspective as someone who understands the compliance factors etc. And I guess it really doesnít matter if we little people get any notification of sorts now does it? Esp if you arenít a big money donor. Anyway...is what it is just think the communication on both sides could have been better...oh and As far as the 50/50 going to a new system thatís fine my comment was more directed to who would be administering it.
    Last edited by HockeyRef; 04-24-2019 at 05:48 AM.

  10. #410
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Lynn, MA, USA
    Posts
    2,551
    Quote Originally Posted by HockeyRef View Post
    Heard no awards were given out at that event as the banquet was held on Sunday of Senior weekend and not hosted by the FOH. Just saying what a shame after 25 years of hosting an amazing event the FOH are out...Times have changed...oh well sigh...
    Ref, the Friends hosting the banquet goes back to 1979, just after UNHís second appearance in the NCAA Final Four in Detroit. The banquet was at the Dover Elks. I went to some very memorable banquets back in the day when each senior was given a UNH Captainís chair. Witnessed many a big tough guy balling his eyes out that his four years had gone by in a flash.

    As far as I have been told, the athletic department has basically disbanded the FOH which, IMHO is a disgrace. Itís ancient history now but, if not for the Friends, you could argue that UNH would not have fielded a competitive Division 1 team back in the seventies. Support from the athletic department was luke warm at best. If it wasnít for some committed fans who had a love for the game and an affinity for Charlie Holt, things would have fallen part. Scoreboards, plexiglass throughout the rink, a renovated locker room, a weight room . . . all those improvements at Snively? None of this would have happened without the Friends.

    The biggest money raiser for the Friends was the annual golf tournament. This was an idea which began with Coach Holt and a few others and, in a few short years, became the premier fundraising golf tournament in the Seacoast. In recent years, the fact that the Friends ran it was not even worth a mention in the local press.

    I know all about NCAA restrictions on booster clubs because of the goings on that occur in big time football and basketball. Our Friends group is collateral damage. I just wish there was recognition by the University that the fans deserve to have a voice, even if it is limited to discussions similar to the ones we have here. Shutting out the fans, particularly the season ticket holders, is something the athletic department is doing at their own peril. Like I said, a disgrace.

  11. #411
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Thornton, NH
    Posts
    6,391

    Re: UNH Wildcats 2019 Offseason - How Much Progress Did We Really Make This Past Seas

    Hmmm, wonder if Mike Babcock wishes that he still had JvR on one of his PP units tonight?

    And, wonder if the B's have any regrets for shipping Ryan Donato out of town for Charlie Coyle, yet?

  12. #412
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Once upon a time, Jax , Florida but now somewhere in the Lakes Region of NH
    Posts
    5,311
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
    Ref, the Friends hosting the banquet goes back to 1979, just after UNHís second appearance in the NCAA Final Four in Detroit. The banquet was at the Dover Elks. I went to some very memorable banquets back in the day when each senior was given a UNH Captainís chair. Witnessed many a big tough guy balling his eyes out that his four years had gone by in a flash.

    As far as I have been told, the athletic department has basically disbanded the FOH which, IMHO is a disgrace. Itís ancient history now but, if not for the Friends, you could argue that UNH would not have fielded a competitive Division 1 team back in the seventies. Support from the athletic department was luke warm at best. If it wasnít for some committed fans who had a love for the game and an affinity for Charlie Holt, things would have fallen part. Scoreboards, plexiglass throughout the rink, a renovated locker room, a weight room . . . all those improvements at Snively? None of this would have happened without the Friends.

    The biggest money raiser for the Friends was the annual golf tournament. This was an idea which began with Coach Holt and a few others and, in a few short years, became the premier fundraising golf tournament in the Seacoast. In recent years, the fact that the Friends ran it was not even worth a mention in the local press.

    I know all about NCAA restrictions on booster clubs because of the goings on that occur in big time football and basketball. Our Friends group is collateral damage. I just wish there was recognition by the University that the fans deserve to have a voice, even if it is limited to discussions similar to the ones we have here. Shutting out the fans, particularly the season ticket holders, is something the athletic department is doing at their own peril. Like I said, a disgrace.
    Could not agree more with your comments Greg. There are a ton of hard feelings out there right now; I hope the program doesnít suffer from this. So much of the draw for my husband and I for joining FOH was the social aspects of being members and knowing we were doing our part (albeit small as far as money went).

    We had a place to go after games to talk UNH hockey and meet other like minded fans. A chance to meet our coaches and players. Sure there are other avenues to do these things but it wonít be the same. Just losing that aspect I wonder how many will open their wallets?

    Will be interesting to see what the fallout is from all of this and hope that something similar will be in place for the future.

  13. #413
    msprice
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Newfields
    Posts
    62

    Re: UNH Wildcats 2019 Offseason - How Much Progress Did We Really Make This Past Seas

    Segment about Warren Foegel before the Canes and Caps game.

  14. #414
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Thornton, NH
    Posts
    6,391
    Quote Originally Posted by msprice View Post
    Segment about Warren Foegel before the Canes and Caps game.
    TvR did not help much on that first Caps goal.

  15. #415
    msprice
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Newfields
    Posts
    62

    Re: UNH Wildcats 2019 Offseason - How Much Progress Did We Really Make This Past Seas

    Quote Originally Posted by Snively65 View Post
    TvR did not help much on that first Caps goal.
    Neither did Pesce or Foegel, all get -1

  16. #416
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Thornton, NH
    Posts
    6,391
    Quote Originally Posted by msprice View Post
    Neither did Pesce or Foegel, all get -1
    Nice assist by Pesce on Aho's SHG!

  17. #417
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Thornton, NH
    Posts
    6,391

    Re: UNH Wildcats 2019 Offseason - How Much Progress Did We Really Make This Past Seas

    And, another assist by Pesce, cutting Caps lead to 3-2. TvR hurt and missing shifts in second period.

  18. #418
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Once upon a time, Jax , Florida but now somewhere in the Lakes Region of NH
    Posts
    5,311

    Re: UNH Wildcats 2019 Offseason - How Much Progress Did We Really Make This Past Seas

    Canes winnnnnn !!!!

  19. #419
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Thornton, NH
    Posts
    6,391
    Quote Originally Posted by HockeyRef View Post
    Canes winnnnnn !!!!
    Third longest postseason game 7 ever.

    And, first time that all top seeds knocked out in first round?
    Last edited by Snively65; 04-25-2019 at 06:39 AM.

  20. #420
    Go 'cats!
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Manchester, NH
    Posts
    1,603

    Re: UNH Wildcats 2019 Offseason - How Much Progress Did We Really Make This Past Seas

    Menís Hockey Announces Team Awards: https://unhwildcats.com/news/2019/4/...E3PqEXo3jWPDyY
    I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •