Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Wildcats 2019 Offseason - How Much Progress Did We Really Make This Past Season?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by wildcatdc View Post
    Fell right into that one, Snively. My point EXACTLY. I guess my sarcasm meter wasn’t turned up high enough!
    Oh, yes, I saw what you were doing there. But, the Minutewagon did have me worried late in their semifinals game last night.

Comment

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2019 Offseason - How Much Progress Did We Really Make This Past Seas

How about those #2 seeded Bruins not showing up?

Comment

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2019 Offseason - How Much Progress Did We Really Make This Past Seas

Don't look now but that team that you know who thought UNH should get by in the QF's is playing for an NC tomorrow night!!
        UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Originally posted by e.cat View Post
          Don't look now but that team that you know who thought UNH should get by in the QF's is playing for an NC tomorrow night!!
          There is some irony in Umile's downfall being his worldview that a team's future is based on its history (why he quit working after late 2000s, because everything was on autopilot), and the belief that U.Mass's future was based on its poor history.

We've witnessed first hand the folly of that belief that history means anything.
          The Souza record:
          15-16 10th place
          16-17 10th place
          17-18 11th place
          18-19 8th place
          19-20 9th place
          20-21 10th place
          21-22 9th place
          22-23 10th place

Comment

I am so jealous of UMass Hockey right now. Not just their success but the way they play the game. They are so fast and so skilled, aggressively attacking at all times - from all four lines and from the back end to the front. That PP goal into a gaping net was vintage UNH PP from the late 90's. I'll say it again, they're everything UNH was (maybe more before the weekend is over) and everything UNH is capable of being again with the right leadership. I sure hope that this new regime works out at UNH - otherwise, I will always have a very difficult time separating the fact that UNH decided against a national search and for a three-year victory lap/coaching transition ONE YEAR PRIOR to UMass hiring Carvel...
            Live Free or Die!!
            Miami University '03

Comment

• Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
              There is some irony in Umile's downfall being his worldview that a team's future is based on its history (why he quit working after late 2000s, because everything was on autopilot), and the belief that U.Mass's future was based on its poor history.

We've witnessed first hand the folly of that belief that history means anything.
              I have had this nagging belief recently that you espoused long ago that Umile hung on too long. And yeah history can be what you make of it.

All we can hope for is that Souza is taking note and goes after it like Carvel!

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                I am so jealous of UMass Hockey right now. Not just their success but the way they play the game. They are so fast and so skilled, aggressively attacking at all times - from all four lines and from the back end to the front. That PP goal into a gaping net was vintage UNH PP from the late 90's. I'll say it again, they're everything UNH was (maybe more before the weekend is over) and everything UNH is capable of being again with the right leadership. I sure hope that this new regime works out at UNH - otherwise, I will always have a very difficult time separating the fact that UNH decided against a national search and for a three-year victory lap/coaching transition ONE YEAR PRIOR to UMass hiring Carvel...
                The hand picked successor approach doesn't appeal to me either! We're stuck with it though for now. Hopefully it works out the way we all want it to.

Comment

Originally posted by wildcatdc View Post
                  On another subject....

How about those #1-seeded Lightning jumping out to a 3-0 lead in Game 1 of their playoff series vs. the lowly Blue Jackets! I mean, there’s no possible way anyone would see that as anything other than an unassailable advantage.... is there? Right? Am I crazy?

��
                  I'm glad that you mentioned this, 'dc. I was watching the post-game after TB blew it to Columbus, and they showed a graphic which went to the effect that Tampa Bay had previously gone a combined 125 (give or take) games in which they'd held a three goal lead without losing. Not once. Regular season and postseason. That was the longest active streak in the NHL. There were (IIRC) another 2-3 teams after them who were somewhere in the 60-90 games in a row range without losing when they'd held a three goal lead. I believe the Bruins were at #5 on that list - I think they only showed the Top Five - and they were just north of 50 straight games of any kind where they'd managed to hold onto a 3 goal lead.

Now, admittedly that doesn't account for all 30 NHL teams, and the average is probably somewhat south of 50, but probably well north of 20 (my guess is it's somewhere in the 25-35 straight games range). Which basically means that a team which accrues a 3 goal lead in any NHL game has about a 3-4% chance of losing that game. Digging deeper, I'm guessing if a team has that kind of a lead on the cusp of the 2nd/3rd period, those chances are probably cut at least in half again (1.5-2%?).

Now, just for kicks and giggles … let's see how many Game Two's of the current round of the NHL playoffs see any team falling behind by 4 goals less than 15 minutes into the first period, OK?

Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                  Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Also I found the interview with Makar's father at the regional interesting. UMASS was the first to approach him and Carvel called him right after he was announced.
                    "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                      Excellent take.

Comment

Congratulations!
                        The Souza record:
                        15-16 10th place
                        16-17 10th place
                        17-18 11th place
                        18-19 8th place
                        19-20 9th place
                        20-21 10th place
                        21-22 9th place
                        22-23 10th place

Comment

Including the elbow shots to the head, or are those reports exaggerated (I did not see the UMass - DU game)?

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                            Including the elbow shots to the head, or are those reports exaggerated (I did not see the UMass - DU game)?
                            The elbow to the head was pretty bad and deservedly punished with a game DQ for the title game. The other two - along with Barrow's misconduct for DU - were incidental and more a result of the speed of the game and unfortunate luck. Though certainly correct calls. These penalties are out of character for a UMass team that averages just 10.7 PIM on the season - one tenth of a PIM more than your Skating Mother Theresa's...

I want to be clear that it DOES NOT EXCUSE ANYTHING - but I was not all that surprised to see Denver's Durflinger on the receiving end of a hit like that. Durflinger is a world-class trash-talking/instigating pest. Easily the best I've seen in that role in college hockey. He would have been thrilled to take that hit and draw a five-minute penalty for his team in a crucial moment. Its hard to fathom how he didn't get the call.

I would disagree with many others who are blaming Carle for not challenging the play. It happened quickly and I - at least - did not notice it in real time. It was certainly clear as day after a review, but I can understand how second-guessing what one might have seen (when none of the refs saw a thing) could creep into one's mind. The replays made things clear - but without the benefit or replays it would be a risk to put up your TO and challenge for something you only saw in real time and at full speed from a tricky angle. The game was tied and DU still had every chance to win the game. Losing your TO and especially your challenge when a questionable goal could still determine the game would be a risk (even if those of us watching on TV all knew otherwise)...

Additionally, DU was only 15% on the PP this season this season - and MUCH worse of late. They were only 1-for-16 minutes on the night and had failed to score a goal on the second UMass major penalty - so anyone assuming taking the PP would simply translate to a win is speculating completely and thinking in generalities...

It was an awesome season for the Pioneers. They are SO young and have a great few years ahead of them. Just getting to the Frozen Four was gravy...
                            Last edited by Dan; 04-13-2019, 12:35 PM.
                            Live Free or Die!!
                            Miami University '03

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                              I'm glad that you mentioned this, 'dc. I was watching the post-game after TB blew it to Columbus, and they showed a graphic which went to the effect that Tampa Bay had previously gone a combined 125 (give or take) games in which they'd held a three goal lead without losing. Not once. Regular season and postseason. That was the longest active streak in the NHL. There were (IIRC) another 2-3 teams after them who were somewhere in the 60-90 games in a row range without losing when they'd held a three goal lead. I believe the Bruins were at #5 on that list - I think they only showed the Top Five - and they were just north of 50 straight games of any kind where they'd managed to hold onto a 3 goal lead.

Now, admittedly that doesn't account for all 30 NHL teams, and the average is probably somewhat south of 50, but probably well north of 20 (my guess is it's somewhere in the 25-35 straight games range). Which basically means that a team which accrues a 3 goal lead in any NHL game has about a 3-4% chance of losing that game. Digging deeper, I'm guessing if a team has that kind of a lead on the cusp of the 2nd/3rd period, those chances are probably cut at least in half again (1.5-2%?).

Now, just for kicks and giggles … let's see how many Game Two's of the current round of the NHL playoffs see any team falling behind by 4 goals less than 15 minutes into the first period, OK?

Yep, made my point. If the Lightning of, all teams, who have “been there”, can lose a three-goal lead, at home, in the first game of a series, to an 8th seed, shouldn’t be a surprise that a woefully overpowered UNH team could do the same on the road.

man, I hope that pre-season prediction of UConn/UMAss missing HEA playoffs doesn’t get any worse for you tonight. Might already be the worst prognostication in the history of the UNH threads. And don’t give us none of that “1 of 2” garbage - you were lumping them together at or near the bottom and now UMass is playing for all the marbles.

(That stated, I do agree with you that this is where the experience of UMD in the biggest of big games will pose a problem. I think UMD in a tight one, but hope for the reverse.)
                              Signature line intentionally left blank.

Comment

Originally posted by wildcatdc View Post
                                Yep, made my point. If the Lightning of, all teams, who have “been there”, can lose a three-goal lead, at home, in the first game of a series, to an 8th seed, shouldn’t be a surprise that a woefully overpowered UNH team could do the same on the road.
                                Made your point, 'dc? Really???

I thought #8 seeds had no business toppling #1 seeds at home in Game One of a playoffs series?

You can't have it both ways. But nice try, though.

FWIW, I'm not sure this iteration of TBL has "been there" just yet postseason-wise, either.

Not unless we're going back to the days of Martin St. Louis, Vinnie Lecavalier (sp?), etc.

QUIZ: What connection actually exists between the '19 CBJ and the '04 SC champs TBL?

Comment

Working...
                                X